Registered
3,396 Posts
Looks like an FJR, why buying one?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like an FJR, why buying one?
No, beautiful bike and had the front looking like a scooter. Knew it was not one but looks real purty.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Oh, yeah -- in '05 was my favorite, think it's near the perfection:

But they changed the design later and imo not for the better. Not the best ergo for me too.

Now this is the thing:

Almost just as good as the 400, very well thought-out and more strange - at 6'0, fits me like a glove. Strong suspicion thou much of it is made in China, so practicality is compromised, especially with the price tag.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had an early FJR. Aesthetically I did not like the combination of round and sharp exterior design but I really wanted its sport-touring functionality. I never thought it was pretty myself.

Engine was wonderful and my tank did not get as hot as some did (plus I wore riding pants). Comfy enough after I added bar risers. Brakes tightened up considerably after a braided line conversion kit. Headlight reflectors worked great with an aftermarket dual bixenon capsule kit (almost as if designed for it). Givi V46 top case with color-matched lid looked much better than the OEM case. Larger fairing fixed the usual OEM turbulence and noise.

Suspension was not so great for a heavier fellow like myself. I was actually faster in mountain twisties on my later R1200RT. I would say, however, that my FJR had the fewest warranty issues of any new bike I owned (exactly zero warranty repairs in 16K miles, versus my RT which practically lived in my BMW dealer's service department, as did an early R1200C before it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts