Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been torturing myself for over a year now on a new bike purchase after being without one for nearly a decade. I looked at many different makes and models, but have decided that I want a large scooter. With that in mind I have looked at virtually every forum, specification, test report, etc. on the Aprilia Atlantic 500, Honda Silverwing, and the 650 Burger. Though I know the Honda is a fine product, it just doesn’t get me excited…it’s too cramped for me and too generic. I really like the Atlantic (very sexy styling – nuovo sleek), but checking the Atlantic forum everyday has convinced me that it is an invitation to problems…plus my closest dealer is at least 5 hours away. All of this leaves me with the 650 Burger. At first I was unimpressed, but must now admit a strong inclination to purchase one. I haven’t read about many (if any) inherent problems with this scoot on the forums and need something to haul around my huge body…plus I have a local dealer which is a huge benefit. Now to the questions:

1. I am a very large man. 6’4” 320 lbs ex-collegiate wrestler. At my lightest (which I’m working on) I’ll still tip the scales at about 260 lbs. My wife is diminutive at 5” and 100 lbs. Will the 650 be adequate for weekend tours? Any of you big fellas care to comment on performance and touring comfort (2 -3 hours in the saddle between stops with two-up)?

2. I plan to install the GIVI tall windscreen and rear top box. What are your experiences with this? Which GIVI top box is best in your opinion? How about the saddle bags, soft or hard? Is there a center tunnel bag available?

3. What about tire life? Is there one brand or type that gives good wear as compared to others?

4. Now for the big question…what about reliability? I don’t want to buy one of these rigs and have it constantly in the shop. A better than 50/50 proposition with the Atlantic according to what I’ve read in their forums.

I know this is a lot to ask, but please reply. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Burgman 650 handles my 265 lbs just fine, thank you. My wife does not ride. I have the GIVI 52 liter top box (the one with the tail and brake lights) and really like the box and the lights a whole lot. The box has a contact plate so that you can take the box on and off without having to unplug and replug the wires. So far, I haven't taken the box off, but it should work just fine. I just returned from a 600 mile trip to Death Valley and "Ranger" (my name for my silver Burgman) worked just fine. I averaged 52 MPG for the entire trip which assuages my concerns about the 4 gallon gas tank. This is a great bike. My other bikes have been sitting in the garage since Dec. 13 when "Ranger" came home from the showroom.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Im going to delete the other threads and move responses here.

Basically the other responses were that two of us liked the Clearview screen over the Givi.

Please continue with this thread as Ive deleted the other two.
-Bryan

·
Registered
239 Posts
It is an undisputed fact that the 650 Burgman is the largest, most powerful and sophisticated scooter available in the USA and its reliability I imagine to be on a par with Suzuki's other products and should not be an issue, so it would be your logical choice, except for two possible flaws in your particular case. Firstly,the component most likely to suffer would be the bargain basement rear suspension found on the Burgman and at this time there is no aftermarket units available to my knowledge, while for the Silverwing there is. Secondly, and this is more important, the passenger seat of the Burgman is HUGE, particularly in width. My wife is also small, with short legs and the seat forces her legs to splay out and she has difficulty in placing her feet on the floorboards. After substantial modification to the seat and fabricating higher and wider footpegs, she is now somewhat comfortable, although it's still not an ideal situation. I recommend that you get your wife to sit on a Burgman and check this out. It's never fun if the Little Woman isn't happy! It's a pity, because other than that, the 650 Burgman is your logical choice!

And that's all I have to say about that.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
John, Bob seems to have strong feelings about the 650 rear suspension. I would say the SilverWing needs rear shock replace to avoid handling problems in sweeping curves. However, in my opinion, the 650 rear suspension is fine. Could it be improved, maybe. I have only heard a few owners comment negatively about the rear suspension on the 650 and their comments tend be about how the 650 handle bumps not handling problems like the SilverWing has.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Please don't get me wrong. I personally don't have a problem with the Burgman's suspension, but then I don't weigh 300 lbs and I know from past experience that the type of shocks fitted to the Burgman are not top drawer in the adjustment and longevity departments. It would be nice if fully adjustable , high quality components could be had, as in the case of the Silverwing, which, I agree, from what I've read, really could use better suspension. Has anyone else had problems with the wide passenger seat?

Bob

·
Registered
47 Posts
passenger comfort

My wife is about 5'5" and has some trouble with her hips....however her biggest complaint after a ride is that the seat is too hard. She hasn't ever really ridden long distances yet & I think part of her discomfort may be due to not being accustomed to riding longer than about fifteen minutes to the local Dennys. As far as the suspension, I am 6'3" and about 230# & I ride with the rear shocks set on 5 (the stiffest setting). I like the way my Burgy handles on the twisties with stiffer shocks. The bike does seem to like to carry extra weight, though. I've found that its a much smoother ride when I ride two-up....my weight combined with my wife works out to be about 370#. The only change I'd like to make is to order a gel seat pad for longer rides. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts