Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nissan painted half of a test vehicle in a superhydrophobic paint. Mud and water just slid off the car. In other tests, rain bounced right off superhydrophobic-coated windshields in severe storms, without the use of the car’s wipers.

Nissan painted half of a test vehicle in a superhydrophobic paint. Mud and water just slid off the car. In other tests, rain bounced right off superhydrophobic-coated windshields in severe storms, without the use of the car’s wipers. (Courtesy Nissan)
Say the name out loud, and it sounds like it comes from Mary Poppins:Superhydrophobics. But get used the word — it’s about to change thousands of products in the marketplace by giving them the world’s most liquid-resistant coating.
Though superhydrophobes were first created in 1977, they haven’t been used extensively on a commercial scale. But Nissan injected some excitement by painting half a test vehicle in a superhydrophobic paint. Mud and water just slide off the car.

In other tests, rain bounces right off superhydrophobic-coated windshields even in severe storms, without the use of the car’s wipers.
more

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/s...water-repelling-consumer-revolution-1.2644202

Products are available but it's early

http://nanexcompany.com/pro-sport

·
Registered
220 Posts
I personally want to hand wash, power washer when needed, to keep my vehicles in tip top condition, it's a personal thing for me, anything worth owing is worth a little time spent on it to keep it in new condition.

John

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm the exact opposite - I want a vehicle that shrugs off dirt and bugs and takes little physical maintenance - my hands are far too sore to use them that way and I'm not fond of power washers at the best of times. I think often they are more destructive than a patina of road grime.

Windscreen needs to be clean but blasting soapy water into cable and electrical clusters is not good practice in my view.

I'd love to see surfaces that shed mud and grime as this does. I think the surfactants in washing - especially power washing is destructive over time.
My new rider staff was power washing his chain and I told him not to.
Modern chain lubricants will stick really well unless blown off by pressure and detergents.

I ride in all weathers and conditions...I want a bike that will do the same with minimal maintenance and physical care.
The Burgman 650 is terrific that way.
This is attractive product especially if it works on windscreens and even for riding gear.
I've got a new pair of riding pants that are not waterproof and I'm going to try and buy some of their spray on for fabric and also for my one pair of riding boots.
I don't expect them to remain dry as they are rather loose hiking boots but will keep them from getting as wet ( rarely given the design of the Burgman 650 and it's weather protection ).

Might not be for everyone.
Certainly some waxes are very hydrophobic but I'd prefer either OEM finish or a spray on as this appears to be.

Just trying to find it in North America

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
Having a brother with a body shop and previously working in the business, I see things a little differently. I can imagine the nightmares working with the paint when it is needed. Will new paint adhere to the paint already on the metal or plastic? Where would you get the paint and training for it? What will it cost? How will you match it?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that's factor but surely that is already a factor with the new finishes.
I'm sure the industry will adapt.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Your wish has been answered! Rustoleum has a paint/coating called "Never Wet" that does this and it is clear. The commercials I've seen show it being sprayed on shoes/boots, satellite dishes, cars, motorcycles. Possibilities seem endless.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm with MacDoc - I visit the local car wash and use the high pressure wash. I don't waste time (or money) - I go directly to the filtered low pressure water (spot-free) to rinse. I use those soft paper towels they sell for a buck. They work as a shop towel after they start showing dirt and wear.

The easier it is the better I like it. I use a spray on wax to polish it up.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Let me know when they have one that stops chips and scratches and I'm sold!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It's been a few months since I last read up on this. At that time, one downside was the product left a white residue. Hence, the white vehicle used in the test. If this has been overcome so a truly clear finish is obtained, that would make all the difference for me in using it on the bike, screen, face shield. I'll read on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts