Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride two up with SuperScooter on our 650 Exe and I love it! I really want my very own 650 but it's too tall or I am undertall (I strongly deny that claim, after all I am a full 5'). I would really like it if Suzuki (and I love you suzuki) would import a more vertically challenged 650 for all of us who don't want to spend extra $$ (if it is even possible to do so) to have a 650 lowered. The 400 is a good height for me, hint hint to Suzuki, but I really want to have more power so a 650 is really the bike for me.

Yours truly,
txrangergirl
:cheers:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am not sure you would really want to lower the bike. That might lead to all kinds of problems when you lean it over and drag parts of it on the ground. I would think it would be relatively easy to lower the seat (take out some foam and recover it) and handle bars (You can have them raked aft. ) I used an electric carving knife to cut out an inch of foam from my first scooter and you could hardly tell that the vinyl was disturbed. Good luck. Other option might be to add some hp to the 400 (dont know how, just throwin it out there.) Good luck.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
The 400 is deceptive. You twist the throttle and you know you're accelerating, but there is no fuss about it. Then a few seconds later you look down at the speedometer and realize you're going 90 mph. With some 18 gram Dr Pulley Sliding weights in the variator to give you a bit more acceleration, you might find it is the answer.

The 650 has more power. Definitely. But unless you're racing around, you'll never be left behind. I've led group rides across our mountain passes, and while I didn't have any excess power to pass anyone at 70 mph on the final part of the pass...few cars did either. And besides...why would I need to pass anyone at 70 mph?

If you're sold that you need power, go look at a Ninja 500 or 650. Either will give you the power and can be lower and a lot lighter.

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The carving knife idea is an option thanks. It looks like SuperScooter just might be talking me into a 400 (or am I letting him think he is..?) and the more I look at it and sit on it the more I like it. Also am thinking more on where I would be riding it would make more sense to get a 400. Another factor is weight and I would have a better chance of getting it upright with the 400. One more plus for it.

You all make good points for me to consider. Now to find one that suits me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
TRG, I think you might be pleased with a 400. It has plenty of power to pull a not-too-skinny fellow like me, even riding with a passenger. I have probably carried a total load in excess of 200kg / 440 lbs, and never was the power not adequate. (Of course, I have not carried such a load in mountains, but the mountain riding I did on my own was fine. Lots of throttle going uphill.)

You might also want to look at other smaller maxiscooters, such as the Honda Helix, Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Downtown 300i, et c. The Helix in particular is very friendly to those of minimal inseam. I don't think I'd like it on a long trip, but that won't matter if you're riding 2up on the Exec. It would be great for local rides.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
txrangergirl said:
I ride two up with SuperScooter on our 650 Exe and I love it! I really want my very own 650 but it's too tall or I am undertall (I strongly deny that claim, after all I am a full 5'). I would really like it if Suzuki (and I love you suzuki) would import a more vertically challenged 650 for all of us who don't want to spend extra $$ (if it is even possible to do so) to have a 650 lowered. The 400 is a good height for me, hint hint to Suzuki, but I really want to have more power so a 650 is really the bike for me.

Yours truly,
txrangergirl
:cheers:
Did you ever consider getting a Trike Kit for it...????????????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
v8eyedoc, haven't thought about triking one out before good thought but am now really seriously considering the 400. We have looked at other models but I really would like to stay in the Burgman family.

cheap0, thanks for the encouragement. Mine and SS's major riding is 2 up on Ingrid (the Exe) and she takes hills really good. We have ridden in the hills of Arkansas with no problem and had "so much fun" (that's a quote from our grandson lol) an look forward to riding in the "Rockies" and would love to ride to Alaska some day.

I had to stop and rethink that I would be riding for the most part to and from work so realistically a 400 would be more than enough for me since our main mode of riding is on Ingrid, yes I named our 650. I am now going to focus on looking for the right 400 for me and then the next step is come up with a name for it. Oh, I do believe that Isabella will be her name.

Socal Local, you are right about the lowering of a 650 it really doesn't make sense to do that.

After fact...Does any one know who Ingmar Bergman was?

You all have helped me in making up my mine, but remember I AM WOMAN and I can change my mind like the weather can change! LOL

Thanks from TRG (thanks cheap0 for my acronym)

·
Registered
677 Posts
txrangergirl said:
v8eyedoc, haven't thought about triking one out before good thought but am now really seriously considering the 400. We have looked at other models but I really would like to stay in the Burgman family.

cheap0, thanks for the encouragement. Mine and SS's major riding is 2 up on Ingrid (the Exe) and she takes hills really good. We have ridden in the hills of Arkansas with no problem and had "so much fun" (that's a quote from our grandson lol) an look forward to riding in the "Rockies" and would love to ride to Alaska some day.

I had to stop and rethink that I would be riding for the most part to and from work so realistically a 400 would be more than enough for me since our main mode of riding is on Ingrid, yes I named our 650. I am now going to focus on looking for the right 400 for me and then the next step is come up with a name for it. Oh, I do believe that Isabella will be her name.

Socal Local, you are right about the lowering of a 650 it really doesn't make sense to do that.

After fact...Does any one know who Ingmar Bergman was?

You all have helped me in making up my mine, but remember I AM WOMAN and I can change my mind like the weather can change! LOL

Thanks from TRG (thanks cheap0 for my acronym)
That's me, I'm all about doing as much as I can for as little as possible. :thumbup:

You mention Arkansas. Someone in Searcy has had on Craigslist an '08 400 all summer long, for what might be a good price (above NADA's "low retail" value, but well below "average retail"), to wit: $2,950 through July and most of August, $2,850 now. Searcy (I used to work in Searcy, BTW) is on the edge of the hills, so maybe not too awful far for you. Ride 2up on the way there and separately on the way back! :)

The same poster has had numerous listings for that bike. No photos, and the mileage has gone up from 9300 in July to 9400 in the latest listing. It's not getting much use. :) (All I know is what has been posted and reposted, I have not called the seller.)

Wikipedia knows who Ingmar Bergman was. :)

Different bikes have different types of appeal, of course. But I have said before, and I still believe, that the B400 is the one that comes closest to doing it all for street riding: performance, convenience, comfort, economy; short hops or riding all day, for days at a time. You can go across the street or across a continent on the thing. I'd prefer a 650 for a long haul, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it on a 400.

Okay, that's a lie. I would hesitate. I can't afford the motels and eating out all the time. And if I could afford that, I could probably also afford a 650. :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We rode in AR in June while on vac, we live in TX so I will have to look closer to home.

I know who Ingmar Bergman was and was going to name our bike Ingmar but no one knew who he was so I named her Ingrid. Amazing enough a lot didn't know who Ingrid Bergman was either. Guess I'm showing my age or as I like to call myself a film buff.

TRG

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"After fact...Does any one know who Ingmar Bergman was?" For you txrangergirl........ A pin-up girl...!!!! AND I also know who Ingrid Bergman was too!

I named my scoot after her....... see pic......!!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts