Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 03 650 about 6 months ago with 15k on the OD. Wasn't long after that I was told that I needed to replace the primary adapter gear,so I ordered the Polish adapter gear. The thing has been sitting on my desk for about 3-4 months. It was raining this morning, so I decided to install it. The bike now has a little over 23k. Installation went like the video. I thought the old bolt came out too easy and and there was a lot of red dust in there. Greased up the new one and pounded it in. Didn't feel right doing that ,but had to. Put some lock tight on the new bolt and zip gunned it in.

Now, the scooter is real quiet, spooky quiet, which is what it is supposed to do. Rain stopped and I have been out riding most of the day and early evening.The engine breaking now comes on much, much, more smoothly, which makes the twisties a lot easier to navigate.

The old gear in my opinion shows no real wear, other than the copper coating was gone where it engaged the primary drive gear. I think that the copper coating is some kind of anti seize material. I could understand doing it that way from a manufacturing point of view rather than applying grease by hand before assembly. I would show photos but I can't figure out how to up load pics from Iphoto. I think the old gear need not to be replaced, but there was $225.00 sitting on my desk not doing anything.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you didn't have the dieseling sound before, either?
Oh ya, it was dieseling, sounding like a big cumins engine. It never really bothered me. I thought that 03-04 models were noted for that sound and the fix was just to quiet them down, until I read somewhere on this forum that it caused failure of the bearing it is in contact with. That was always in the back of my mind. Upon visual inspection of the bearing, it look fine and for one split second I almost put the OEM gear back in. After a hundred miles or so that I have put on the new gear I am pleased for now I installed it,not for the dieseling noise but for the smooth engine breaking it now does. It used to be quite harsh sometimes at moderate speeds upon total throttle down. I am going to leave it in. I just have to trust that I have not caused the beginnings of a problem later on, the bike ran as good as any brand new one out there, just doesn't have the bells and whistles. I have never found an official comment from Suzuki on the noisy adapter gear or the harsh engine breaking, and I doubt I have Suzuki's blessing on installing the Polish adapter. So be it.

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
I don't know if you caused the beginnings of anything but that brown dust you found is worrisome. It could indicate that the grease in the bearing is drying out. When I helped StacyEW take his CVT apart last month we found the bearing full of that brown dust and no grease at all in it. I think that brown dust is the remains of the dried up grease.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sooooooo tempting! I have all the forward tupperware off, removing the rest would be no problem. I'd reeeeeeealy love to pull the CVT and look inside, maybe even replace some bearings. But I think I better follow the corollary to Murphy's Law, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

My primary adapter had a little red dust on it when I installed the Polish last year. I assumed it was just the remains of SUZUKI SUPER GREASE "A" as specified by the service manual for assembly.

After looking at the photo again, I wonder if the red stuff is what remains when the adapter wears? Someone on the forum thinks that the adapter was manufactured by sintering, so when the adapter wears it would revert to its original steel powder.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sooooooo tempting! I have all the forward tupperware off, removing the rest would be no problem. I'd reeeeeeealy love to pull the CVT and look inside, maybe even replace some bearings. But I think I better follow the corollary to Murphy's Law, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

My primary adapter had a little red dust on it when I installed the Polish last year. I assumed it was just the remains of SUZUKI SUPER GREASE "A" as specified by the service manual for assembly.
Agreed!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well for one you'll hear the valve train, although I have to remove the tupperware and put my ear close to the cylinder head to hear it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts