Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I bought my O-12 650 new in October of that year and have loved every second of ownership but as time has gone on one starts to hear different noises from the machine at different times which would get my curiosity up and prompt me to start poking around the machine for hours on end and coming up empty. I'm making a stand and am no longer going to let any of these bother me any longer, after being around so many 650's these buggers make their own uniques noises that are far different from anything else on the road and vary from machine to machine.

I'm diligent when it comes to the servicing of the machine (doing my own work) and am going to ride the wheels off it, if and when something brakes I will then fix it other than that any noise coming from the drive train will basically be ignored unless it is blatantly obvious.

Rant Over

Happy and Safe riding.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You know, sometimes a little ignorance, or in your case, ignoring, is bliss. Good for you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Also, if you haven't tried it as of yet, ear plugs should cure what ails you. :)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Hi All
I bought my O-12 650 new in October of that year and have loved every second of ownership but as time has gone on one starts to hear different noises from the machine at different times which would get my curiosity up and prompt me to start poking around the machine for hours on end and coming up empty. I'm making a stand and am no longer going to let any of these bother me any longer, after being around so many 650's these buggers make their own uniques noises that are far different from anything else on the road and vary from machine to machine.

I'm diligent when it comes to the servicing of the machine (doing my own work) and am going to ride the wheels off it, if and when something brakes I will then fix it other than that any noise coming from the drive train will basically be ignored unless it is blatantly obvious.

Rant Over

Happy and Safe riding.
Have own 2 x 650 now, most sound change on bike with increase of mileage and as get older. Unless here something very very unusual no need to worry. As song say '' Don't worry be happy '', just ride.

Air filter get very dirty, sound change.

Brake pad wear, sound change

Ride in very hot weather, sound change.

Tire come close to wear bar, sound change.

Change oil and filter, sound change for little while.

Change on bike always occur, this not mean bad thing going on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a new 2013 650 and it drove me crazy the first couple of days listening to the noises. What makes it worst is I wear hearing aids. I had a new noise this morning and it turned out to be a new helmet in the trunk. So I have to agree with everyone and just say screw it, it's all good.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Funny thing is these forums as great as they are lead to my increased stress level too. Lol

But as I hear so many Times these machines are near bullet proof with basic maint.

Ride more, stress less !

Good luck with ignoring the noises.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for bringing this topic up as I too have heard noises that have come from my new to me 07 650 from time to time. It has concerned me when that has happened but after hearing you guys today I feel I can relax now and just keep riding .

Thanks !! Dan

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm on my 3rd 650 Burgman and I remember joining this forum shortly after I bought my brand new, first year edition. I rode the thing easily like I normally do for break-in and I maintained it myself.

Shortly after they were on the market and more of us were on this site, the talk started about the infamous: "Diesel sound!" There was nothing wrong with the scoot but we had to obsess about it--well at least some of us did. It never bothered me whatsoever so I just forgot about it and it went away, inasmuch as ALL scoots and motorcycles have some noise, some less and some more.

One of the reason my Son who is on his second Cheeseburger 650 loves the scoot is because of the diesel clatter he says it makes:)

Even these new electric bikes make an annoying 'whine' as the are ridden.

Ear plugs are the way to go and if you've never used them, give them a try. I even use them on my Goldwing which is quieter than any bike I've ever owned or ridden because it cuts down on wind noise.

Sam:)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I love the 650's straight-cut gear and (almost imperceptible) CVT sounds. The only time I notice a change is after a good run on the freeway, there's a little more intake noise coming from the air filter box, must be due to nice hot pistons and valves.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Amen brother, Amen! The Burgman faithful chirp, whirr, grumble and buzz their way to salvation!

The much-maligned 2003 whisked me through the wilderness over the weekend. 890 km/553 miles of bliss. Yea, the bugs went splat, the rubber shred, washboard stutters, cow pies spread.

The appropriately named Jerusalem Hill did test my faith, where Satan lay in the ruts and gravel, whispering of stopper bolts, cvt belts and bearings. A lonely place for a spill, but the 650 was my rock.

That crummy Givi windshield has got to go, however. :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yep, been riding with earplugs since day one. Never had a bike that didn't howl with turbulence above 40km/h. All my instructors suffered hearing loss from riding in the past, and I was keen to avoid that.

Cutting down the Givi and drilling holes into the base eliminated the buffeting and some of the noise, but it still forces the air directly into my helmet, where it whistles and dries the peepers out. Plus, it looks ungainly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm a first year Burg 650 owner and I immediately starting to worry about CVT belt failure (my used Burgy had 22,000 miles on it when I bought it) after reading many posts on this forum about it. I guess some of my worry came through on my early posts and several members (Buffalo for one) told me to stop worrying and just enjoy the machine. I've taken their advice and now life is good. If it breaks, it breaks. I'll get it fixed and keep on going.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Burgman noises

Its most likely the tranny if you haven't already figured it out,the cvt is not the quietest of trannies,but its pretty durable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts