Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What an idiot, I have been working on cars and motorcycles for literally 45 years off and on, mostly successfully!
I changed oil on the transmission so I thought, and put the 360ml rotella 5/40 synthetic in the small angled bolt on the side of of the transmission, not in the level hole or fill hole (I found out later).
Did a test ride and and got some noise, drained transmission and only a bit came out. Sht!

I filled transmission in correct location and all seems better, but where the heck did the first 360ml go?

Geez, what a screwup.
Help!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Good question, I can't think of another bolt in that area where you could have put it. Maybe a picture of the bolt location might help us figure I.t out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it.is where one might check transmission oil pressure?
Its right on the side of the case.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes...I agree with Buffalo....snap us a pic please.

late,
Coz

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
There is no oil pressure in the transmission, it is a splash system. Might be a bolt in the clutch housing . Since it shares oil with the engine any oil that went in there would end up in the engine oil sump. Check the engine oil level to see if it is overfilled.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The only bolt I remember that's at an angle is the one that plugs the oil supply to the clutch, on the side of the clutch housing, which would mean that it went into the engine. Better than into the CVT!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine seemed.a bit overfull, I drained some out, not sur of amounts yet.
Man I must losing it. And they let me drive on the.road?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess the bolt in question is in the side of the clutch case on left of course.

Rode it a bit and Changed trans oil again. Can't.see or feel any metal in it?p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only bolt I remember that's at an angle is the one that plugs the oil supply to the clutch, on the side of the clutch housing, which would mean that it went into the engine. Better than into the CVT!
That's the one. Only time will tell if I shorten trans life.
Wines a bit on engine braking, just brought this thing home Wednesday. May be normal, nothing to compare it to.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Hopefully you didn't ruin a bearing in the transmission. It's a fairly simple reduction gear set but it's inside the crankcase housing so you have to split the crankcase halves to get to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully you didn't ruin a bearing in the transmission. It's a fairly simple reduction gear set but it's inside the crankcase housing so you have to split the crankcase halves to get to it.
Wouldn't that.be wonderful!
Thanks.for info.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
If you ruined a bearing you will know it. A friend had one go bad when the dealer forgot to put oil back into her transmission. I was following her on the highway when it went out. I could hear the high pitched squeal from 100 feet behind over the wind noise and with my ear plugs in.

Edited to add: We could also hear it with the bike on the center stand and the engine reved just enough to engage the clutch.

·
Registered
735 Posts
There are two normal whines on the 650, the lower-frequency one is due to the straight-cut gears in the final drive and the higher-frequency one is the CVT belt. I have to listen carefully to hear the CVT whine, it's most predominant when I shift from 1 to 2 in manual mode, sometimes I can hear it (barely) when the CVT is shifting in D mode also.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
There are two normal whines on the 650, the lower-frequency one is due to the straight-cut gears in the final drive and the higher-frequency one is the CVT belt. I have to listen carefully to hear the CVT whine, it's most predominant when I shift from 1 to 2 in manual mode, sometimes I can hear it (barely) when the CVT is shifting in D mode also.
I bought a used '06 that had a CVT whine which was a bad bearing.

·
Registered
735 Posts
MJR, mine's definitely not a bearing whine, it's been my constant companion for 7,000 miles now since August. I hear it only when the CVT is shifting, otherwise the bike is so quiet that it scares pedestrians when they finally see it coming (they expect to hear some moronic-loud air-cooled tractor engine I suppose).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Posts are great, thanks for not beating me up. Believe me I am doing that myself. If I decide to tear into it, dealer, anbody recommended? I can likely pull the engine myself. Open for opinions.I will likely ride it a while and see if it gets worse. Only hear a whine when decelarating acclerating at mid speeds.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ride it. As I recall, the reduction gear case is isolated from the engine and the final drive, so if you did any damage, the metal flakes will be confined to the reduction gear case. How much of a test drive did you do? If it was short/slow/flat, I bet there's no damage. If you're in the Seattle area, ride over and I'll listen to it.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
From his introduction post I gather he lives in Kansas City, Missouri.

I don't know about Kansas City but I do know there are a bunch of 650 riders in St. Louis. You might try contacting Maggie at the River City Riders there and see if she can point you to someone in Kansas City that can listen to it. The River City Riders web site is http://www.stlphins.com/rcr/

You can also get in touch with her on the Maxi-Scoots web site that she also runs. http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome, in Kc.
Test ride around.20 miles and not slow. Buddy was rising it and told him don't worry about the noise it was normal. (I hadn't heard it at that point and he wasn't familiar with bike. Oh brother,shoulda, woulda, coulda!)
If it didn't hurt something I would be surprised. We rode piss out out of it today, thought I would give it a chance to manifest itself, if its going too. No change so far. .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts