Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Well the day finally arrived. I got my "Silver Queen" today. Now all y'all have to understand that I have been riding for approximately 5 years of late and 2 years some upteen thousand years ago. I have had 2 accidents (1 severe) 1 not so severe, so I am a big fraidy cat.

Anyway I trepidly picked up my Scoot. I rode it about 2 times around the parking lot before I got into traffic. I only had to ride the Scoot about a mile and a half to my home.

What a difference between my motorcycle and the scoot. 1st I had to get use to not using the brake as my clutch; 2nd there is absolutely 0 zip in the throttle or in other words about a 1/2 second delay in the throttle before I get some movement; 3rd cornering is definitely different with little acceleration; 4th trying to figure out where the best placement of my feet are; 5th trying to stablilze scoot on tipy toes as opposed to being flat footed on my former motorcycle; 6th it was very windy and the noise was deafening having just ridden the Savage in for the trade (I am definitely going to need a different windshield) 7th dealing with fear of not getting hit by somebody cause I was vulnerable riding an unfamiliar machine...

However, tomorrow I plan on riding in my subdivision, reading the manual, and trying to get use to something different. I was invited to go to the mtns. today by a group and thought are you nuts, I just want to live long enough to feel comfortable going to Publix (supermarket) :!:

When my nerves settle down I am sure I'm going to love this thing, but am going to take this slow for now. Good-luck to everyone else on their first day :!:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Congratulations!

I spent my first day burning about a half a tank of gas doing laps of my subdivision to gain confidence, and I don't think a drop was wasted. When I finally went out on the highways, it was at 4AM with no one else on the road the first few times.

I'm very happy with my 400, and I hope you are with yours, too!

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Congratulations on the new 'Silver Queen' Evelyn. Just spend some time out of traffic getting used to the feel of the Burgman. It won't take long to get used to it. One of the things that bugged me at first was not being able to grab the fuel tank with my knees. Start out slow, get a feel for the Burgman. Practice braking and build up toward panic stops. After a couple of days it'll be second nature. Just procede with a pace you are comfortable with and don't rush it.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hey Evelyn, enjoy your new 400! I don't recall if you ever mentioned whether or not you have taken a MSF course but I'm sure most of us would highly recommend it. The skills and street stratagies you'd learn would do a lot for your confidence and greatly increase the "fun factor".
Don

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Evelyn
Sounds to me like your doing everyhing right,and like has been said slow & easy. In a day or two your going to be having a ball..
If I am reading your post right you have to tip toe to hold it up ? If that's the case you mite try sliding forward on the seat b4 stopping , it my help a little . But you must have had this problem on your bike ,the 400 seat is lower then most bikes to start..
Anyway Congratulations! and enjoy...... :)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Congrats Evelyn! The smiles per mile will definetely get better as you get more familiar with your new ride.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
:headbang: Rock On!
Very cool.
Whaddaya know...Christmas in February!
:)
- peet

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
YEAH!!!!! I bet you are excited!! You will get use to it in no time. I thought it was going to take me forever however I was ready to go quicker than I thought.

Hope you get some nice weather so you can enjoy it!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
congrads, Evelyn

I know you are going to enjoy your Silver Queen.

I hope it warms up soon.

The mountain twisties are calling.

Dan

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Evelyn,

Congrats on your new Queen. I totally understand some of your concerns. When I made the switch, I learned how to compensate for some of the tradeoffs of automatic vs manual transmission. Before, I would gear down and break lightly to slow. Now, I've learned to use the engine breaking a bit more effectively (the 650 can be pretty harsh with this, often requiring a light touch to avoid jerkiness).

Having been a cruiser rider for years, sitting higher up was a real adjustment. Somehow I don't feel like I can "butt steer" as much on the Burgman as I could the other bikes. I'm thinking of removing some of the foam from the seat so it is a bit lower, but know I'll never get to the point of those low slung cruiser seats I loved. A couple of things I never had: a wind screen, dual front disc brakes, and lots of storage! Doesn't take long to get used to those.

As others have said, riding in the neighborhood is a great place to start. More road hazards there than most anywhere - dogs, kids, car doors, cars backing out of driveways. I bet you get the feel for those brakes real fast. Practice turning in a circle at a quiet intersection. Before you know it, you'll regain your nerve. Once you become comfortable with your basics again, the fun will naturally just creep right in. Have fun practicing!

Madonna

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the pep talk. I rode 50 miles today. My fingers are almost numb from the cold. However, I went to a nursery and was able to put a pre-emergent (for 5000 sq feet) bag in the trunk of my 400. I had the nursery encase that in plastic so as not to mess up my new trunk smell, and I was so proud because the trunk space is so great!

I cannot believe how nimble this machine is in traffic! I also cannot believe how fast one can go before one realizes it. This is my second day and I was riding on some back roads and before I realized it I was up to 60 mph and did not feel a thing. The brakes are fantastic compared to my old Savage. I am still getting use to the curves and especially when I have to go extremely slow. I know I am turning incorrectly (on severe turns from a 0 start) as I am afraid the motor will either stall out or get too much speed or the bike will tip over. Practice will help with this I guess.

I almost had a full smile riding this machine today. This is going to be a great scoot once I get the kinks ironed out. The windscreen is definitely a problem though. The engine is so quiet, but the noise generated from the screen is terrible. I can also appreciate why some people would like wider fairings and music. However until the noise from the wind is solved, forget the music as it would be a constant irritation to me.

God, I love discovering something new and learning about it :!: And thank-you for my ability to work, walk, and purchase this scoot. May God bless everyone who has a Scooter and keep us safe. If you don't believe in God then may whatever you believe in help you. :)

Evelyn

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
P.S. I caught up to a Harley Davidson in traffic today. His bike was extremely loud (which I am sure is what he wanted) but I also looked at the vibration, that guy was shaking all over the place. I am so happy with my quiet, unobtrusive Burg (which incidently had no trouble keeping up with him) :!: Life is GOOD :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Evelyn,

Glad to hear your ship finally came in. Every new set of wheels take a while to get used to. With this pair you will just have a huge grin on your face during the process. Enjoy and be safe.

Janine :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have another question. When you park the B are you supposed to turn the wheel to your left and then apply your park brake?

In other words, let's say you go to a grocery store and stop in a parking space. What are the first things you are supposed to do after shutting off the engine :?:

Do you apply the brake, do you turn the wheel and lock it, or do you just put it on the center stand and forget about it?

Evelyn

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Evelyn,

Depends on the rider. About the only time I use centerstand is fueling up, checking oil, or letting the engine warm up. I got into the habit of always using my parking brake whenever I parked the bike. After having the brake freeze a couple of times after very cold nights, I dropped the habit of always using the parking brake. I still use it whenever I'm going to leave the bike in pubic or feel there's ever a chance of the bike being moved. I then lock the front wheel and close the key cover shutter.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congrats on the 400 8)

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Evelyn said:
Do you apply the brake, do you turn the wheel and lock it, or do you just put it on the center stand and forget about it?
My routine after I stop is to pull on the parking brake, turn off the engine, put the sidestand down, lean the bike on the sidestsnd, turn the bars full left and then dismount. When using the sidestand, it's best to turn the bars full left to put the max weight on the sidestand to help stabilize the bike. I rarely use the centerstand when parking th bike.
Don

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Evelyn

I am pleased to hear you are enjoying your new machine and can almost 'feel' your enthusiasm from over here!! :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally a nice day today and I got to ride the Scoot 60 miles today. I still can't believe what a wonderful scoot this is. I was able to pack all my stuff in the trunk and walk down by the river. It was wonderful.

I really need to get a different windscreen though. Did anyone try the Givi screen on their 400 yet? Does it make a difference as far as cutting down on the noise? I am long waisted so my eyes are about 4" above the stock screen. I am waiting to get my corbin seat which will bring me down an inch, so hopefully that might make a difference. Otherwise the screen will be my next investment.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts