Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Suzuki Burgman Exec. 2008, I have been driving motorcycles since 1995, when i drove the Burgman I felt something very strange when I decelerate by letting go of the throttle, it felt like i have downshifted a gear .. I do not know if this is normal or not, but in both cases it is very irritating, I love the bike by all means and I really want to keep it, but this issue is driving me mad, and I am thinking of selling it if I couldn't find a solution for this problem, all i am asking is a smooth ride without jerking.. Please if you know any solution for this kindly help me..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Normal. You'll get used to it - just try rolling off the throttle instead of closing it abruptly. Same thing when rolling on - don't snap it open. I learned to like the engine braking my 06 does - I learned to work with it. I've heard the 2013 and newer models have much less engine braking.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I actually like it, and have developed my riding style to suit. I'm now at the point when on a "normal" bike, that I get annoyed about having to use the brakes so much, with little engine braking available.

If you just get off the throttle earlier, and more gently than you normally would, you use the brakes a lot less.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mamin, I also find it very annoying, but is normal, as the others have said. I installed a G2 Throttle Tamer on my '09; it helped some, but not a lot. You'll have to practice throttle control to minimize it--or move on to a different machine. Did you test ride the scoot before you bought it?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I like the engine-braking- it is the best i've ever encountered in 40+ bikes. It is a bit hard to get used to at first but you will get to like it - just be gentle and steady on the throttle. It saves loads of wear and tear on the brakes.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Make sure the bike is NOT in "Power" mode (grey button on left, indicator is on the dash). This mode bumps up the engine performance, but also really exacerbates the engine braking too.

When I first got my bike, I accidentally left it on. I had the same thought as you, that I wouldn't be able to live with this bike as sensitive as the throttle was. One push of the button sorted things out.

As to the normal engine braking, takes a little while, but you do get used to it.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
When I my first 650 a couple of years ago I thought pretty much the same thing you are thinking . As I would guess at least 99% of all new owners think . It took me a couple of weeks if I remember correctly to master the throttle , then I was very comfortable and grew to appreciate it .

The best advise I could give you is when you start out from a dead stop , give it almost NO THROTTLE . You will be surprised how quickly you will get to 50mph with almost no throttle . From then on be VERY GENTLE both to accelerate and decelerate . Then practice looking ahead when you are riding , try and use the throttle only (no brakes) to bring the bike to a stop . If you do all of the above you will catch on in no time at all . Hope that helps you .

TheReaper!

I just bought a Suzuki Burgman Exec. 2008, I have been driving motorcycles since 1995, when i drove the Burgman I felt something very strange when I decelerate by letting go of the throttle, it felt like i have downshifted a gear .. I do not know if this is normal or not, but in both cases it is very irritating, I love the bike by all means and I really want to keep it, but this issue is driving me mad, and I am thinking of selling it if I couldn't find a solution for this problem, all i am asking is a smooth ride without jerking.. Please if you know any solution for this kindly help me..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with the other posts. I only notice it at 20mph or less. I have got into the habit of just lightly pulling the rear break lever just so the brake light comes on to let the traffic behind know I`m slowing.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Mamin, I also find it very annoying, but is normal, as the others have said. I installed a G2 Throttle Tamer on my '09; it helped some, but not a lot. You'll have to practice throttle control to minimize it--or move on to a different machine. Did you test ride the scoot before you bought it?
Have you tried different cams? I've heard that G2 makes different ones.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've only had my 07 Executive for a couple of months, but have grown to like the engine braking. A couple of years ago, bought a new Kubota 900 RTV diesel, which also has severe engine braking. I hated the braking at first, but grew to love the thing. I'm still planning on a new 2016 Burgman in the Spring, but wonder if I'll miss the engine braking.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Actually the engine braking you refer to is one of the best feature of 2002 - 2012 serie of 650 bike but you not know that yet.
Purchase a 2013-2015, this has been eliminated (own 2005 - 2009 and now 2013 650 ) or learn to control your throttle by holding it back and micro releasing it back, this is easy to learn and do and part of the learning experience of operating a great bike with electronic control ECVT on one of the best bike out there. Many new Burgman 650 owner have same comment as you, but you will appreciate bike so much more after you master the throttle control, it much easier on brakes and help incredibly in twisties.

As courtesy to other member here you ask '' Urgent help from '' please fill in your profile and approximate location for other member to help you better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts