Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the wrong mount so I 'm not ready to install yet.

Funny part is I can't even get the lid open.

I see where I need to turn the key to the first notch where it says "unlock open"

I assume then the lid can be opened, but it won't budge. Is there a trick to getting this thing open?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Turn the key. Push the button above the key. It takes a bit of pressure. There is a little triangular sign there that says "Press".

If you turn the key past the unlock postion (spring loaded) the carrying handle pops out.

The orange button below the key is for attaching / removing the case from the rack.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You'll actually be pushing "in" on the carrying handle when the key is at 90 degrees.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!!!

Sort of like the first IBM computers with the instructions on how to connect it on diskette (the GIVI instructions for opening the case are locked inside!!!!)

Now I may start the process of how to actually mount it. Think I'll follow the steps here rather than decipher their instructions.

Thanks again

·
Registered
367 Posts
I found the instructions to be useless. Checkout the pictures in the gallery of someone's installation, sorry I forget who's it was as there are no names on the galleries (hint hint!)
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Givi-Mount-Install

This is really well done and took all the fear of screwing up out of my installation.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the utmost confidence that I'll screw it up anyway.

I'm still in search of a NICE pad for the passenger (not the GIVI solution)

I won't be detaching and walking around with the case, so a larger pad will be beneficial. I saw one on ebay where I guy somehow attached a nice pad to it.

Even so, I wonder if it will be too far back for the passenger to utilize. Moving it any closer may not allow the seat to open.

Anyone come up with a nice solution to this issue, as my wife is finally used to the OEM backrest and I don't think she's going to be happy.

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
csachs1 said:
I ordered the wrong mount so I 'm not ready to install yet. Funny part is I can't even get the lid open. I see where I need to turn the key to the first notch where it says "unlock open" I assume then the lid can be open, but it won't budge. Is there a trick to getting this thing open?
Be careful not to install the base bracket too close to the seat, otherwise the topcase will be in the way for seat trunk to open. That is, you will then have to remove the top case before you can open the seat trunk.

·
Registered
367 Posts
SilverBurgie said:
Gallery title reads: "SilverBurgie - Installing Mount for Givi Top boxes" -hint hint! :p
Okay, okay, so I don't translate well! :oops: I kind of confused the silver on the bike with the silver in your name! :cry:

In any case you did an EXCELLENT job. I went through your installation guide a couple of times and the fear of screwing up was gone! On top of that I didn't screw-up!

Thank you VERY much!!!! :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
lifegetter said:
Be careful not to install the base bracket too close to the seat, otherwise the topcase will be in the way for seat trunk to open. That is, you will then have to remove the top case before you can open the seat trunk.
There is no danger of this happening with the Givi mount. The actual mounting holes are threaded holes in the frame from the factory. It would be very difficult to screw this up. The only drilling you have to do is in the upper back panel. Suzuki marked the drilling locations with three +'s. This is for their factory passenger backrest. The Givi mount uses these mounting locations as well. Do not worry about screwing up this install. The worst thing that could happen is you will have to replace that upper panel if you mess up drilling it which is unlikely to happen unless you are doing it while you are asleep.
The brake light kit is a bit of a P.I.T.A. but can be fairly easy to do without screwing it up. I took pictures and plan to do a similar write up on installing it. Though it will have to wait a couple of weeks as I'm leaving for Japan on holiday.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another question if you don't mind:

Has anyone removed the OEM backrest and then installed the mount for the E52?

If so, are the holes to big, and if so how did you deal with this issue?

If they are too small of course I can make them bigger, but just wondering what to do if they're not.

Thanks

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
csachs1 said:
Another question if you don't mind:

Has anyone removed the OEM backrest and then installed the mount for the E52?

If so, are the holes to big, and if so how did you deal with this issue?

If they are too small of course I can make them bigger, but just wondering what to do if they're not.

Thanks
I removed the Suzuki luggage rack to install the Givi mount. The holes were too big but the Givi mount came with three rubber grommets that slide over the posts and seal/hide the holes quite nicely.[/quote]

·
Registered
240 Posts
SilverBurgie said:
There is no danger of this happening with the Givi mount. The actual mounting holes are threaded holes in the frame from the factory. It would be very difficult to screw this up. The only drilling you have to do is in the upper back panel. Suzuki marked the drilling locations with three +'s. This is for their factory passenger backrest. The Givi mount uses these mounting locations as well. Do not worry about screwing up this install. The worst thing that could happen is you will have to replace that upper panel if you mess up drilling it which is unlikely to happen unless you are doing it while you are asleep.
hmm...still, be careful, because it was screwed up on mine. :shaking: worse yet, it cracked the rear-end of the body. so, other than tax and death, there is no sure thing. :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts