Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Burgman AN400, Model 4K. I'm looking to replace my ECU and hopefully take care of this c41 code I'm dealing with. I'm a noob so excuse this question if it's a no brainer but how important is it for the models to match up when buying a ECU? I have an affordable option to get the 5/6K model of the ECU so I'm hoping that would work??? Thx in advance if anyone knows this and can help.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm interested in knowing what the difference is between part #'s 32920-15G10 & 32920-15GB0?? Can either of these ECU's be functional in a 06 Burgman AN400?? Thx

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both are for a 06 Burgman AN400, trying to find out if they are interchangeable?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I noticed is one is for the 3&4k models and the other is for 5&6K models. So I assume they are not interchangeable since they make the distinction. Sucks too cause for the 5k model a used ECU cost $75 and and since there's no used ones around for a 4k it'd cost $450, big difference.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So its confusing to me, I called several parts stores and stopped by my local dealer. The parts store says the K# represents the year, so K3 would be a 2003 model, K4 would be a 2004 model etc but that's not accurate because my title says my 2006 is a 4k model. The issue is when they run the VIN # it says the ECU for my AN400 is the 5/6k ECU. When I put my make and model in both ECU's pop up. Based off of this forum it said the K# represents different models released in the same year and that makes sense to me. So the question I have is should I buy the 3/4k ECU like my title says my scooter is or should I buy the 5/6K unit since that's the part that came when they ran my VIN? I don't think they are interchangeable cause they are different shapes. What do you guys/gals think?

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
Have you pulled the old part and seen what the part # is ?

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
I would not follow what the idiots at DMV/DOL put on the title. Same with Ebay, so many parts are listed a K3 but fit only a 2008 or so.
You KNOW its a 2006 model year so that is what you need to look for. I'd say that the K3-K4 part will NOT work and now you will have a part that is now a paper weight.

Before throwing parts at it to fix it, it would be better to pull it apart and check to see what that switch is wired to.
Most times throwing $$$ Parts at a problem does NOT fix it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would not follow what the idiots at DMV/DOL put on the title. Same with Ebay, so many parts are listed a K3 but fit only a 2008 or so.
You KNOW its a 2006 model year so that is what you need to look for. I'd say that the K3-K4 part will NOT work and now you will have a part that is now a paper weight.

Before throwing parts at it to fix it, it would be better to pull it apart and check to see what that switch is wired to.
Most times throwing $$$ Parts at a problem does NOT fix it.
I agree with the above but what added weight to the possible 4k model is when you specifically pull up my year scooter for the actual OEM part on any website it has both the 3/4k & 5/6k parts listed. I already bought the 5/6k part off of eBay but your right, I'm waiting for the opportunity to pull everything apart to trace the wire. Thx

·
Registered
35 Posts
You cannot start the engine if there is a problem with the ECM. Once you have traced the connection of the switch, you will find that actually your bike is good and without problem. In Japan, your model is called CK43a, the 2003 one does not have an Oxygen sensor while K5 and K6 have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You cannot start the engine if there is a problem with the ECM. Once you have traced the connection of the switch, you will find that actually your bike is good and without problem. In Japan, your model is called CK43a, the 2003 one does not have an Oxygen sensor while K5 and K6 have.
Hopefully your right. I'll be pulling the bike apart this weekend to see. I'm not sure if your statement is correct that nothing is wrong with the ECU, why then would I be pulling a c41 code if nothing was wrong? Furthermore when you troubleshoot the c41 code in the Service manual it says the last step is a faulty ECU. Based off of a similar thread on this forum regarding the c41 code, it seemed as though connecting a battery tender on the wrong voltage or for too long triggered the c41 code and connections 17 & 21 on the ECU were bad due to that. The Scooter sat for God knows how long with a battery tender attached to it too. I know I'll find out more when I tear it down I was just hoping someone knew if its possible to bypass the C41 code some how? I checked the regulator and that's good and the fuel pump obviously works since I can ride the bike with no issues. I'm trying to troubleshoot this with no mechanical experience and while being on a budget, a $100 an hr for a mechanic just isn't doable at this point. I'll be sure to keep the forum updated on any progress I make.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been following this thread and am wondering what all the fuss is about. Until you actually trace the wires and find out where they go and exactly what the switch is doing you are shooting in the dark. The basic fact is when you turn the switch on the scooter runs just fine. I have been riding and working on bikes of every description for well over fifty years. and have gone, like you are now, down a few rabbit holes. Forget the code, turn the switch on and enjoy the ride.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it plus a grain of salt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been following this thread and am wondering what all the fuss is about. Until you actually trace the wires and find out where they go and exactly what the switch is doing you are shooting in the dark. The basic fact is when you turn the switch on the scooter runs just fine. I have been riding and working on bikes of every description for well over fifty years. and have gone, like you are now, down a few rabbit holes. Forget the code, turn the switch on and enjoy the ride.
Shooting in the dark is exactly what I was doing, figured I'd get feedback from all of you to get a feel for the situation, better then paying a mechanic. I initially thought the same thing, just enjoy the ride and all that but then I started wondering, what if the switch could possibly be bypassing something that would impact the bike over the long haul or worse impact my skull. I heard back from the original owner this morning, he said "I don't recall the details of why the switch was installed by my mechanic some 12 + years ago. I believe this was to troubleshoot a potential drain while sitting for long periods of time due to normal clock - Electronics. There was no safety or warranty recalls or problems." Not sure if I believe that, first he had a battery tender on the scooter so why worry about battery drainage? Hope it proves to be a minor issue like he says, I need a break.

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
bcalan, I like your bed side manner ....keep an eye out for my posts and please give me your salt and pepper.

By any chance have you ever sampled Spruce Beer ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts