Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

I need help - insurance settlement value

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  sbukosky 
You need to ask for their documentation as to how they came up with the value. My 08 400 was totaled last July 1st. and the insurance company's (Allstate) was low. Since I was an insurance adjuster for 31+ years, I know how it works.

When I asked about how they arrived at their offer, I was told that they had someone do a market survey of similar scooters locally. The locally turned out to be in other states. I got a list of the bikes they used and called each of them and made adjustments to their figures based on the condition, miles, etc. of the bikes. My first question was if it had been dropped (all but one had been), mileage, condition of tires, options, etc. I documented everything, including every conversation with the adjuster with the time and what was said. The documentation and attention to detail changed the offer to within $50 of my first request and nearly $700 more than their initial offer. Part of the payment might have been nuisance value when they realized I was enjoying driving them up the wall and had plenty of time to do it.

The adjuster will pay you what he can document for his or her management. I was really doing his work for him but being a retired old f**t, I had plenty of time and I had a great time doing to the adjuster what people used to do to me.

If your research as to the value shows that the offer is fair, take it and be happy. Some adjusters low ball you on the first offer but many like me tried to make a fair offer first based the information I had available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.