Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I just wanted to thank each and everyone of you for being on this forum and contributing towards a wealth of Burgman knowledge on BUSA. I have had my 2004 Suzuki Burgman 400 with 7900 original miles for almost 7 months now, and I bought it in January 2014. Before that, I had a Chinese scooter that kept giving me issues and the muffler bolts even came off as I was riding it! I am so glad I got rid of that one and bought this Suzuki Burgman. I have put over 3000 miles in seven months on it. Currently at 10,300 miles. At this rate, I estimate I am averaging about 350 miles a month. I ride daily and love it. It came with a big ass GIVI windshield so wind is not a problem anymore, compared to my Chinese scooter when I always had the wind blowing in my face

I take it everywhere, in town, on the highway, and I even modified it to go fishing with it! I used two PVC pipes at the end of my luggage rack attached to my milk crate and secure the fishing poles with bungee cords.

I love the storage and the reliability of it.

The only issues that I have ever had were:
1. Battery had to be replaced within a month because of a bad cell (easy fix)
2. Headlights went out at around 9000 miles and had to be replaced. (Easy fix)
3. Valves were way too tight and had to adjust them. The Scooter would not start when hot but would start only when cold. After I adjusted the valves and loosened them, it would start every single time whether it was hot or cold. (Hard fix)
4. Last but not least, my back hurts when I go for long rides on the freeway, and I just ordered a utopia back rest and will be installing it over the summer to help alleviate the back issue.

I average 48 miles per gallon in city and 55 miles per gallon on the freeway. All my fellow two wheel riders are so jealous of how much storage space I have and are shocked when I show them how much space of storage I have inside the seat. Parking is never an issue as I am able to always find a small spot for my Burgman to park. I pay $310 a year through Allstate insurance company because I am 20 years old. Last but not least, I love the passenger backrest because when I find a girlfriend, she will love to go on rides with me!:kermit:

I never take it to the dealer, and I always do my own maintenance and repairs. I have saved almost $800 by doing my own repairs and I would not have been able to do these without the help of BUSA members! The Suzuki Bergman 400 is the most reliable, practical, and comfortable Scooter out there currently in the Scooter world. Thank you and God bless.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have also named my Burgman, FREEDOM. Because that's exactly what comes to mind whenever I get on and ride it!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
God I would have loved to have had a Burgman 400 when I was 20. Hel1, I love mine now!

Enjoy your years on the 400. You will look back with fondness on this ride for the rest of your life. I'm a little jealous you kids have this great choice when you're young.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Welcome! I am a new Burgman owner too. I find I am falling in love with my 2006. I often realize I have a big grin on my face when riding.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha I sing inside my helmet sometimes too

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
You are lucky to have the optional Suzuki luggage rack.
There seems to be very few of those around.
That accessory sold for about $145....I had my dealer
install mine for me when I bought my 400.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It really comes in handy and gives me even more storage! Decreases MPG obviously, but I don't know by how much.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I secure it with a black luggage rack with irons drilled into holes secured with fasteners. Then I ziptie the snot out of it. Never has it come off, and never will it :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm with you kxj5906! I LOVE my 2011 Burgman. I'm almost 61 years old and everytime I ride it, it takes me back to my childhood and my Sears and Roebuck minibike! I've had lots of bikes, but the Burgman is my all time favorite. The minibike was twist and go like the Burgman and what fun I had with that thing. Now that I have shoulder, back, neck, and knee problems, having a bike that you step into and twist and go keeps me on two wheels! I'm glad you love yours as I love mine.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, I just need to remember not to love any material thing too much :)

I'm very curious as to how long my Burgman will last me if I care for it and maintain it well. I'm shooting for 60,000 miles!!!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Haha, I just need to remember not to love any material thing too much :)

I'm very curious as to how long my Burgman will last me if I care for it and maintain it well. I'm shooting for 60,000 miles!!!
I'd be pretty disappointed if I only got to 60K. I expect to be there this time next year. I'm shooting for 150K. If you do your own wrenching, I'm not sure there is an expected end of life for these scooters. Certainly more than 60K.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd be pretty disappointed if I only got to 60K. I expect to be there this time next year. I'm shooting for 150K. If you do your own wrenching, I'm not sure there is an expected end of life for these scooters. Certainly more than 60K.
But his is a 2004 and yours a 2011. Not saying an 04 couldn't get to 60k+, just that its already had a lot of age on the clock.

Best advice is to keep on riding it. Bikes need to be ridden to say in shape. Mine are ridden weekly, if not daily. Keeps 'em young.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'd exspect 150-200k before an engine rebuild or replace. check valve clearances, quantum has had them as low as 15k with tight clearances. Apparently the valve seat/valve face clearances diminish. This will cause the valve to not close all the way and dissipate the heat from the valve to the cylinder head..Valve overheats burns up. Head pull!!

There aren't many recorded episodes of engines blowing up, i'm sure this engine is the mini one piston version of the ninja used in the Hayabusa...or similar technology...Short stroke can take screaming rpm!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts