Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm a new 2005 Burgman 400 owner in the Tri-Cities, WA, and I absolutely LOVE the little beast. I've put 800 miles on it since March 09, and I am sticking religiously to the break-in schedule, which should give you some idea of how much time I've spent on it per day. I commute 20 miles round trip to work, and I'm getting almost 75 miles per gallon out of it. I laugh out loud every time I fill it up. What I'm saving in gas not driving my pick-up is paying for the bike, so as far as I'm concerned, the bike is free. It's actually covering my payments, full coverage insurance and gap insurance, with no increase to my monthly budget. I had my 600 mile service on time (actually I made the appointment on time. By the time the two days I had to wait had passed, I had put another 100 miles on it. oops) and now that I can take it up to 6000 rpm I can easily keep pace with anything around me, and outstrip almost anything with 4 wheels. Also, it's incredibly stylish, and it'll move just as well with an extra passenger. It's the best purchase I've ever made, and with gas prices set to peg $2.50 before the end of the month, it gets better and better every day. The only question I have about it is whether there are after-market seats available that have softer pad. I've gone cross-country some, and after about 2 hours on it, my butt starts to really feel it. I'd like to do all-day rides, so this is of course a concern. It may just take some "conditioning", i dunno. It's a small price to pay for all the perks.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome to the club hrdillender!

No kidding about the bux saved! My other vehicle is an 89 Ford V8 that gets me about 14 or 17 around town and about (at best) 20 highway! Which, btw, sucks.

My full-coverage insurance is low also :)

Are your miles in flatland, warm, cold? Either way, I like those svelt 400s!

peace out yo.
pedz.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The miles are a mix. The terrain around here is rolling high desert, and the weather has been iffy for the last month, with lots of wind and storms. There's just enough hills here to put the engine under load for a couple of minutes before leveling out again.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Congratulations on the new Burgman 400 hrdillender.

There is only one aftermarket seat for the Burgman 400 that I am aware. That's the Corbin and it's rather pricey at around $500. It's not a softer seat but rather more firm than the stock. I've been told it's still more comfortable. Rather than spend the money on a Corbin, a lot of forum members have opted to modify their existing seats. If you use the search (at the top of the page), you'll find a lot of information here already on the forums.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA. The only replacement seat I know of for the 400 is the Corbin, which is firmer (but more comfortable). Some 400 owners have had issues with it though, such as it being to heavy for the stock support bar to hold open.

There are other options that do not involve seat replacement, like the Air Hawk seat cushion or sheepskin covers. The Air Hawk is a rather expensive inflatable cushion made specifically for motorcycle seats, and I've heard that it works well. There is also an inexpensive inflatable cushion that some have found at Walmart. I think they call it a "hunter's cushion". Sheepskins can be found from various sources. The other alternative would be a custom rework of the seat. Check the photo gallery for what one member recently had done with her 400 seat.

It is good to hear that you are enjoying your new 400.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. Glad to hear your thrilled with 2 wheeled life.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
hrdillender said:
Hi everyone!
Hi back at ya, hrdillender! :hello2:

I don't get over to the Tri-cities very often, but when I do (I have an uncle in The Dalles, and sometimes take a route through eastern Washington) I always enjoy it. The climate and scenery are a nice change from what we have on our side of the mountains.

The last time I was there, though, was a few years ago when my security company was hired during the Future Shop store closings. I spent a week in a Richland hotel, supervising agents in Richland and Kennewick (or was it Pasco? Can't recall.)

Anyway, if I find myself getting the urge to ride through the vinyards this summer, I'll give you a shout. Maybe we can meet for a cuppa whatever.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds great. Rather than re-type the related message I just posted, I'll refer you to the link...

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 3751#43751

The scenery and weather are nice here, just not that green, unless you're right on one of the rivers. Hope you get this way some time this summer. We'll have great riding weather all summer, no doubt. Warm and clear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts