Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys
My name is Gary and I live in Winterville NC which is 5 miles south of Greenville NC. Anyway, I purchased my 2003 AN400 Burgman off EBAY in August. It is my true joy in life. I ride every chance I get. I got the GIVI windshield and the GIVI top box. I rode in the rain today, and it was tough. My windshied was hard to see through, my face shield and my glasses were fogged. I was on the highway so I had to keep going. Is there anything that keeps the raindrops from forming on the windshield and faceshield? I don't see many big scooters around here just the little guys. My buddies all got big motorcycles and they are no fun cause they spend all time talking about my Burgie. I like the storage, I like the size, I like the power (speed), and I love the abilty to get around town. I took the Motorcycle Safety Course and have no problems with motorcycles. But I LOVE my Burgie. By the way, this is a great forum.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA!

Most dealers sell an anti-fogging spray that will help with your glasses and visor. The stuff I have is called SCOTT Anti-Fog Cleaner. It comes in a small (.5 fl oz) pump spray container. It works pretty well.

The top of the windscreen should be below your line of sight so that you can look over it when it rains. A lot of folks do go for higher windscreens for more wind protection though, like your Givi. There are products like Rain-x that will cause water to roll off of a windcreen. It can damage some plastic windscreens - it is really formulated for glass windshields. I'd be hesitant to put it on the Givi. Another option would be to cut down the height of your Givi enough so that you can see over the top. Some folks on this forum have done that.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Gary. Glad to have you join us.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Gary, welcome from the Lexington/High Point/Greensboro Scooter group.
Four us; 3 400's, 1 650, and occasionally a SW, ride each week depending now on the WX. Maybe next spring we need to organize a Scooter Ride-in so we can all meet.

PS: what color is your 400?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Gary and welcome to the forum :wave:

Trimming on you windscreen so that you can just see over it would be my choice. The air would still flow over your head with minimal of any helmet buffeting.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Gary! Welcome to the Forum. Until you get the nerve to trim your windshield (it's not too hard) just use car wax or a product like Honda's Spray Cleaner/Protectant. I've used that method for years on my windshields without any problems. The water beads up and rolls off at speed.
Carry a soft absorbant cloth in your glove compartment to wipe the backside of the windshield should it fog over.
Don

·
Registered
793 Posts
Velkommen

Trimming an already small stock shield can cause increases in wind noise.
They're really talking about the inherent vacuum that actually pulls raindrops off of a faceshield and throws them backwards onto the instrument panel and glovebox.

I had the same thing a few weeks ago on my 400 - with the first steady rain ride I've had on a Burgman all the way to and from Phoenix on I-10.

If it wasn't the backward rain, it was the fogging and I had to crack open the full-face faceshield quite a bit to discourage fog and the rain to be blown backwards. My arms got wet from the vacuum rain, not the forward rain.

To solve this problem, I'll be looking into a 12volt blower that either has its own heater element or its intake is from the engine compartments warmer air.
A hose leading into the helmet front will dry a fogged shield with the rest of the flow into the dash area, causing a higher pressure to keep the rain going the way its supposed to.

Another anomaly was that if I started the bike in the cold rain then took of within a minute, the temp gauge would not go to 12o'clock like it does in the summer. It would slowly creep up to 10 o'clock while I was doing 75mph at 55 degrees in rain outside.
This could be because the gauge senses coolant temperature not engine temperature and everything is really okay.
So I'll not be buying a hotter spark plug just because cold rain fools the coolant temp sensor while the thermostat should be closed.
The system was probably tested in Japan under dry lab conditions and they never took into account that outside forced rain would flow over that part of the sensor with an assembled Burgy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts