Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from a three week vacation to S.D. Took my son's Victory & my Burgman in the Toyhauler. We rode all over the Black Hills around Mt. Rushmore & had a great time. Also rode around NE S.D. and into Minnesota. Couple of days the locals complained how hot it was but being from the desert we just laughed & rode. :D My son wanted to ride his Victory back home 1700 miles. He made it to St. George Ut. He is 28 but also wise for his age. The temperature was 114 at 2:30pm. We loaded it up & drove home with it in the back of the RV.
Started back to work this week. 90 in the morning 6:00 am & 115 by the time both me & my son get off of work.
We both like to ride but 115 is just too hot for this old Desert Rat to take on 2-wheels. My son feels the same way. Short trips to the store early in the morning on the weekends will be the only riding the both of us will be doing until it gets down into the 100-105 high range.
I rode my 400 in 119 temperature. One day a few years ago 15 miles from home it hit me.
Feeling sick & dizzy I pulled off the road with no cars or shade in sight. I'm too old & need to be wiser about riding in these kinds of temperatures.
So I'll be putting miles on my diesel Passat to & from work. Ran the A/C this morning going to work. Was 95 at 6:30am. Ride safe out there. ;)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That crazy hot, me would die in such heat, Canuck body not use to or made for such heat.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yup, that's too hot even for an older desert dweller like me.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I rode 500 miles to a BMW rally with the temperature between 104 and 108. It was like a hot hair dryer was blowing in my face. Never again. I think 35-95 degrees is a manageable range for me.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The temperature doesn't bother my riding until it is well over 100. Keep in mind I wear a jacket and full helmet. If I didn't use gear I don't think it would bother me until 115 or so. Of coarse I was born and raised in the desert. I can't take high humidity though, a few minutes in that and I want to find a refrigerated cooler{after I dry off with a few towels that is}.

·
Administrator
18,769 Posts
I left work at 4 PM and it was 89 degrees F. I ride 42 miles to get home but 5 miles into the commute the traffic snarl's to a stop. Then creeping along, the freeway in Bellevue WA drops into a low spot with no wind and 1000's of cars. The temp on my two gauges were both at 117 F. It took 25 minuets to go the next 10 miles and the aftermarket thermometer was at 112 to 115 the whole time and my Burgmans gauge was at 119.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I used to have a chart that gave the feels like temp on a motorcycle at a given speed and outside temp. I think it said over 100º it felt hotter moving then stopped. I wish I hadn't lost the link or I would post it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We've been at 100-105oF locally here for several days and we're expecting another week or two of it.

Much I want to, I don't ride when it's that hot, for the same reason cited by the OP. When the temps drop to 95 or below, no problem.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've decided that 50F is my ideal riding temperature. I hate to sweat.
Don't come to Los Angeles, you'll only ride one month a year... At night. Lol. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Have any of you desert guys tried those evaporative cooling vests? I hear from friends that they don't work too well in our Tennessee humidity.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have not tried an evaporative cooling vest BUT I can say once at speed my mesh textile jacket is cooler than no jacket, at least on my arms and chest. I don't normally ride without gear but I tested it one time because that was the claim and I found it to be true. The down side is when you are sitting at a light or such then the temps start building inside the jacket. They drop almost instantly once going again though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts