Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Burgman 650 has a big butt. It still looks like the right side of a bathtub from behind. But man, after being away for a couple years, I bought a 2016 B650 Executive yesterday morning and I was blown away.

Was my 2013 this comfortable? Why would I not keep a bike that's so smooth? (short answer: the dark spectre of belt failure freaked me out). The SECVT is stunningly efficient. I had forgotten what a good feeling it is to cruise at 50 mph while only subjecting the bike to 3,000 rpm's.

I picked up the bike from an old Army guy in the heart of the Everglades (Everglades City, pop. 402). On the way home, I rode past panther and bear crossing signs, gators by the side of the road, vultures and gorgeous vistas everywhere. This is a place where people do not ride at night. They just don't do it. In the circuit board density of South Florida I'm used to, it's easy to forget there are places where wild things outnumber the people. I loved it and will always associate my new Burgman with that.

I did 90 mph on Alligator Alley (I-75) and the bike had a ton more power left. I felt more stable and secure than with my BMW C 650 GT scooter (but not by much, to be clear, the BMW is rock-solid on super-slabs). The Burgman is heavier with a lower center of gravity. It feels very grounded at high speed. I can't say I had the big, goofy Burgman grin because I was focused on riding a new bike I bought 14 minutes ago, but I was close to smiling.

(I was also pretty happy about my deal ... $5,500 for an Executive model with 1,937 miles, and garaged every night of its young life)

Comfort-wise, there is less legroom on the Burgman. I had to take the buttrest off to extend my legs fully. I can almost do that with the stock seat on the BMW. Shorter Japanese engineers vs. taller German engineers? I wonder the same about windscreen height. Burgman and Honda Silver Wing screens are useless; too short and there's a ton of buffeting, while the BMW is higher and better. I woke up early this morning and bought a GIVI screen before I had my tea.

With the Burgman buttrest gone, it's not terribly ugly and cheaper than paying $750 to get a pushed-back Corbin. I can stretch out, which I really enjoy.

I have them side-by-side in my garage now. BMW design kills Suzuki. There's a reason they call the Burgman "Ol' Lardy." BMW's sound and motorcycle handling is something a Burgman can't touch. The C 650 GT is a motorcycle, period. Nobody asks me about the Burgman; 3 or 4 people a week ask me about the C 650 GT -- some roll down their windows at stop lights. It definitely commands attention and respect.

But ... I am planning a summer ride from Florida to Rochester NY, where I will spend 30 to 40 days in my hometown. Right now, if I had to pick a bike, I'd go with the Burgman, sound and design and respect be damned. The Burgman is made for long trips, big and sure-footed, silky smooth and effortless. I honestly didn't think that way when I woke up this morning, before I bought it. Like I said, I had forgotten what a great bike this is.

Either way, I am a lucky man to have such a choice. It's great to be back as a proud Burgman 650 owner.
View attachment 87081
I am surprised that you call the BMW a motorcycle and the Burgman a scooter. I my opinion, they are bother motorcycle, while the body design is that of a scooter. My Burgman 400 handles just like a motorcycle but has the simplicity of a scooter. I have been riding "motorcycles" since I was 15, now 72. I recently downgraded from a Harley Dina Super Glyde T sport to my Burgman. The Burgman is much better for what I use it for, local hoping around and shopping.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
2002-2012 Lardy
2013-present not AS Lardy

For a variety of reasons … I actually prefer the Lardy'er of the two:)

Both are great of course.

Sirkitrider
Dear Kim Kardashian fan,

They both are great. I miss the storage and the more aggressive performance of the pre-2013 generation. Although you are wrong about the 2013+ derriere, perhaps Spinal Tap got it right in Big Bottom when they sang "the bigger the cushin' the better the pushin'"

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
"I am surprised you call the BMW a motorcycle and the Burgman a scooter."

You're right. Both are motorcycles. I gave BMW the nod because I was charmed by the things BMW wants me to be charmed by ... the growly BMW bike sound engineers worked hard to produce; 15" tires front and back; the sleek, predatory-looking design. But here's the real dealio ....

I have had a 2017 BMW C 650 GT and a 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive in my garage for a week now. Both low mileage. Both like new.

Every morning, I came downstairs to pick one out for a 7 mile ride to a beach where I feed unsalted peanuts to wild pigeons. I can ride on I-95 and start my day with high speed thrills. I can cruise along US-1 or take back roads that are always empty.

Hmm, which bike should I choose today?

Every morning, I choose the Burgman. It's more stable on the highway; I'm more comfortable at 90 on the Burgman than I am at 80 on the BMW. The Burgman is quieter. It's easier to turn. It's smoother. God, I love that SECVT.

When I thought about taking a long trip, it was easy to see why the Burgman will be better.

When I run errands, the Burgman is easier for that.

So yesterday, I put an ad on CycleTrader for the BMW, just to see if there was interest. I asked the same price I paid three months and 3,500 miles ago, $7k. Within 5 hours I had the money in my PayPal account. Sold.

Burgman won, hands down.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I’m so happy to hear you guys say you enjoy the First Gen B650 more....

And for Delray to have had both the Suzuki and BMW sitting at his disposal and he disposed of the High & Mighty Beemer.

You guys have re-fortified my pride in my 06 with almost 10k miles and quieted the small voice that was whispering get the BMW Scooter.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I told myself several years ago I would never own a BMW. For one thing trying to find a dealer around here is a minimum 2 hour trip one way. I'd never be able to take it in for maintenance that I might not want to do myself so I would have to do ALL work myself. For another, they are the only company that I know of recently to issue a Do Not Ride warning for a very serious recall. Maybe other makers have done this at some time in the past but I don't recall ever hearing of it (I know... maybe they were just looking out for me... or maybe they really messed up big time on QC and didn't want the litigation that might result from a bad accident). One guy I worked with really was in love with his BMW sport touring bike. He would ride it every day he could 50 miles one way to work in all kinds of temps just like I did. Then he just stopped riding altogether. I asked him why. A part in the ABS system was broken and cost too much (in his opinion) to buy the part and he was not inclined to make that 2 hour one way trip to take it to the dealer/shop and pay even more for them to fix it. He let it sit broken for 2 years before finally biting the bullet and sending off the cash for the part 'cuz he was tired of his pricey machine just sitting in his garage like a paper weight.

Nope, no BMW for me. Give me something from one of the big 3 Japan companies.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
OK, right, Big 4.
Old man brain burp.

Honda - had 3 of these and loved them but one didn't really fit me. Wife has one also.
Suzuki - 2 of these also and loved them both, still have one. My favorite of them all so far. :grin
Kawasaki - had 1 and liked it also.
Yamaha - never owned one so don't know if I'd like it or love it. Likely why I forgot about this one.
-

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
OK, right, Big 4.
Old man brain burp.

Honda - had 3 of these and loved them but one didn't really fit me. Wife has one also.
Suzuki - 2 of these also and loved them both, still have one. My favorite of them all so far. :grin
Kawasaki - had 1 and liked it also.
Yamaha - never owned one so don't know if I'd like it or love it. Likely why I forgot about this one.
-

I‘ve had BMW, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Triumph an MZ which had the Yamaha Banshee 660 single. One of the BMW had the Rotax engine.

I’ve ridden Royal Enfield, Moto Guzzi, Penton, and last but not least an AMF Harley Davidson 350 two cycle Dual Sport which has been the only Harley I’ve driven.

The Burgman comes as close to the “Magic Carpet Ride” experience I’ve dreamed of. If it only had Vertical Take Off and Landing my search would end.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts