Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I killed the new battery in my wife’s Suzuki Burgman 400. I parked it on Sunday, locked the handlebars, and accidentally put on the parking light. Today on Thursday it is dead and will not take a charge. So, what is a good replacement battery. I know the battery number and size that was in the bike but we are looking for something local. On top of that we cannot even find a battery with the exact replacement as the one I fried. Any help would be appreciated and will keep me out of the doghouse for another day or two. Help Ron

·
Super Moderator
6,044 Posts
You might be able to force a recovery with the right charger. Smart chargers check for a minimum voltage and you might be below that - so the charger would be refusing, not the battery.. Worth a try.

What year is the bike?

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
Bwaaahahaha You gonna be sleepin on the couch until the battery is fixed an shiney thangs is purchased, both can be got at wal mart and auto zone here, auto zone has some real pretty torque wrenches!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might be able to force a recovery with the right charger. Smart chargers check for a minimum voltage and you might be below that - so the charger would be refusing, not the battery.. Worth a try.

What year is the bike?
Thanks, my neighbor has a smart charger so I will get with him and see if I can grave rob the battery. Bike is 2020

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
Try hooking a jumper cable to a car battery, WITH THE CAR ENGINE OFF, for 5 minutes, off for 2 minutes and put back on for another 5. It might put a charge back in so your charger will see the battery.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok… I tried everything and the best I can get is 8.3 vDc. So, what's the part number of a Walmart replacement? The battery I killed has a number I can't find anywhere, not even on EBay. Thanks Your Help… Ron

·
Registered
89 Posts
If it were my wifes bike I'd just replace the battery...I'm not going to let her take a chance on a stranding somewhere ?

For the record my wife refuses to ride with me, says I'm too easily distracted. I deny it. That aside she's very valuable for my health, morale and welfare.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Welcome to the Suzuki I killed my battery when I left the parking brake light on group! We are not a select Burgman group since I performed the feat on my 2012 Suzuki VStrom 650.

My new dead battery did bounce back with a charge.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
881 Posts
Once the battery is discharged to certain point it will degrade some, it may take a charge and apparently work ok, but IME is compromised, it can also affect the charging system performance or components 😖
I know all to well what a weak/cheap Walmart "Pirate" battery can do ..

Just get a 9-BS from "Batteries Plus" or "O'Reilly Auto Parts" or look for at least a year warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, thanks everyone! I’ve kind of been out of pocket for the last few days but I’m back on the battery hunt. What I found is closest to what will fit the battery pocket of the bike is, YTX9-BS. Going to check O’Reilly today and see if they have some thing like that. Also, I didn’t realize that a 9BS battery is all I need to know when buying a new one. Of course I understand amp hours but I was mainly coming up with a zero on size. And yes, I think in this case size does matter! Anyway, I put the old battery back in and found that there is enough clearance to except one that’s a little bit larger so I am going to go with that and make sure that if it doesn’t fit I can return it. My wife says she doesn’t really miss the bike right now but I have to admit sleeping in the doghouse is getting a little bit cramped. Thanks once again to everyone for all your help. I think if I stay on this group for a year or two I will probably be a Suzuki Burgman expert and so that’s what I’m going to do but for a lot longer than a year or two. Thanks again, Max, Rover, or some other Doggy name! Ron

·
Super Moderator
15,719 Posts
Captronbob, just cuz..My two bits, perhaps a bit late to the party. I come from a land with true winter and usta make money on the side jumping batteries for yuppies. I am fussy about batteries.

YTX-9BS is the proper size for the Burgman 400 (pre 2019) far as I can tell. Same battery as my SYMs funny enough.

I buy AGM, & only AGM for bikes. Flooded is cheaper but not enough to justify it's drawbacks in an environment that is getting tossed around, LiIon has issues when things get chilly (40f),. I wouldn't run those anywhere N. of FL.
Flame me if you'd like folks on the LiIon, there were even reports of this in this very forum.

I've had very mixed luck on motorcycle batteries from FLAPS. They just don't go through 'em that fast I'm guessing so they sit on the shelf decaying for months, & are often a Chinese battery of dubious QC, so much of a crap shoot. A motorcycle dealer on a common battery would be a possible exception.
For a bike I'm going to be riding for a bit I buy a dry YUASA (comes with acid), fill it and give it it's first charge. Kept on a tender when going through long periods of disuse (SWMBO doesn't ride much in the winter) they hold up just fine. You can get these off Amazon (Works best for me cuz easy return, but never have used that)

If I'm on a budget I get a cheapie from a place with reviews that state that they're good if they sell you a dog, & very carefully look for AGM. Cheap batteries are cheap largely because of bad or lack of QC like anything made to the bottom dollar price point. You could do OK, & usually do, but you'll get more warranty issues right out of the box, so how they treat that is important. This is especially important with batteries where they will often (and sometimes rightfully) immediately say it's on you because <Excuse here>.

I go with Battery Sharks for my cheapies (Replacement batteries for my various UPS easy environment where I can keep an eye on stuff and test it now and again). If ya use them do watch their site. They do sell flooded batteries and the $10 or so difference may catch your eye but you want an AGM.

Anyway by this time you've probably got one from the FLAPS so too late, but I do recommend a decent quality tender appropriate for your battery type. Lithium Ion batteries do want a special one if ya got one of those, & they're pretty pricey to burn out by not keeping on a tender when in storage, or due to use of the wrong tender.

Hope things work out & SWMBO forgives ya.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Captronbob, just cuz..My two bits, perhaps a bit late to the party. I come from a land with true winter and usta make money on the side jumping batteries for yuppies. I am fussy about batteries.

YTX-9BS is the proper size for the Burgman 400 (pre 2019) far as I can tell. Same battery as my SYMs funny enough.

I buy AGM, & only AGM for bikes. Flooded is cheaper but not enough to justify it's drawbacks in an environment that is getting tossed around, LiIon has issues when things get chilly (40f),. I wouldn't run those anywhere N. of FL.
Flame me if you'd like folks on the LiIon, there were even reports of this in this very forum.

I've had very mixed luck on motorcycle batteries from FLAPS. They just don't go through 'em that fast I'm guessing so they sit on the shelf decaying for months, & are often a Chinese battery of dubious QC, so much of a crap shoot. A motorcycle dealer on a common battery would be a possible exception.
For a bike I'm going to be riding for a bit I buy a dry YUASA (comes with acid), fill it and give it it's first charge. Kept on a tender when going through long periods of disuse (SWMBO doesn't ride much in the winter) they hold up just fine. You can get these off Amazon (Works best for me cuz easy return, but never have used that)

If I'm on a budget I get a cheapie from a place with reviews that state that they're good if they sell you a dog, & very carefully look for AGM. Cheap batteries are cheap largely because of bad or lack of QC like anything made to the bottom dollar price point. You could do OK, & usually do, but you'll get more warranty issues right out of the box, so how they treat that is important. This is especially important with batteries where they will often (and sometimes rightfully) immediately say it's on you because <Excuse here>.

I go with Battery Sharks for my cheapies (Replacement batteries for my various UPS easy environment where I can keep an eye on stuff and test it now and again). If ya use them do watch their site. They do sell flooded batteries and the $10 or so difference may catch your eye but you want an AGM.

Anyway by this time you've probably got one from the FLAPS so too late, but I do recommend a decent quality tender appropriate for your battery type. Lithium Ion batteries do want a special one if ya got one of those, & they're pretty pricey to burn out by not keeping on a tender when in storage, or due to use of the wrong tender.

Hope things work out & SWMBO forgives ya.
Thanks for your input. I will keep your comments in mind! Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts