41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
Don't forget the 'Beano'

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
Could you give a link to the Cassoulet Recipe ?

I just confirmed I can use chicken vs duck and I just happen to have some duck fat and cannellini beans.
I use 4 to 6 split Game Hens. I like mine more soupy so I add 1 cup more water with 'Better than Boulian' Ham. I also add corse chopped Swiss Chard or Collard Greens.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
I use 4 split Game Hens. I like mine more soupy so I add 1 cup more water with 'Better than Boulian' Ham. I also add Swiss Chard or Collard Greens.
I do like the presentation of Cornish Hens …I was getting two for $5 and would spatchcock and smoke ‘em and my dinner guests were amazed. The addition of greens and Beano will make my wife happy. 😂

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
You might have a nice rainy day, you're in the mood for some comfort food and wine...that's what I'm looking forward to at this point in Phoenix.
Another Plug for Fast Food Winners….Popeyes Red Beans and Rice.

In this heat…a big pitcher of fortified Sangria with ice.

While reading I kept thinking …French…French Creole Gumbo which made me dig in that direction :

From Chef Emeril Lagasse

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
We should steer this back to Arby's. (No pun intended)

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
You might have a nice rainy day, you're in the mood for some comfort food and wine...that's what I'm looking forward to at this point in Phoenix.
NOOOO ,,, never mix beer and wine

• Haha
Reactions: BurgDanno

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
The wife won't eat sausage. I however must have it on my pie. I slice my own thin (on my half) and add fresh mozzarella and make it crispy, almost burning the sausage crunchy.

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
The wife won't eat sausage.
Tell her this old trick I learned in the Marines, in an absolutely no farting situation, (funerals sometimes. depending on who died, state dinners, heavy lifting at the gym, night patrols etc) take a small piece of toilet paper and jam it in yer butt. (practise this to ensure correct placement) Guaranteed no noise! As for the smell, if you are in public, an the odor is really bad, jus lift yur shoes and check the bottom, smile and look at someone's shoes close by you, Always best to sidle over close to someone slightly skeezy before relieving the pressure.

• Haha

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
Gett'n back to topic. Finally got around to trying the noted burger.
I agree. For fast food it was as good as it gets in recent memory.
I guess they sous vide 'em to medium, & I'm guessing grill just enough to mark 'em. Ship 'em to the restaurant in the sealed sous vide bag wherat they deep fry 'em for a minute or two before serving.
Particularly cheap? Eh, not bad for what ya get TBH.
And a side note:
@DarisPakar Yup, I have had Cuban Sammiches.. SWMBO grew up in Miami, & schooled me a bit, then went to a local shop that sells 'em, & got schooled on 'em some more by the owner who's from Cuba by way of Miami. Do ya put genoa salami on 'em in the true Tampa style, or do ya do 'em Miami style? Gotta have the right bread to be just right is one thing I learned as well.

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
@DarisPakar Yup, I have had Cuban Sammiches.. SWMBO grew up in Miami, & schooled me a bit, then went to a local shop that sells 'em, & got schooled on 'em some more by the owner who's from Cuba by way of Miami. Do ya put genoa salami on 'em in the true Tampa style, or do ya do 'em Miami style? Gotta have the right bread to be just right is one thing I learned as well.

Bravo ! you are a Foodie Extraordinaire…. Thanks for your diligent research on the Arby’s Burger and your previous research of the Cubano.

You are right as to the bread …Pan Cubano

“At your first glance, this bread looks like ordinary bread. However, it has two characteristics that make it a lot different. The key ingredient is the lard, which makes it really soft. The second thing is that a palm leaf is traditionally used to make the split down the loaf.”

I’ve eaten both with and without Genoa Salami and both have left me with a happy porky smile.

As to Genoa Salami and the Gulf Coast…. Let us now talk of the sandwich that’s “Big as a Human Head” ….. I present you the New Orlean:
Food Sandwich Ingredient Fast food Staple food

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
aboslutely, the bread makes the cuban the leaf is there to keep the bread from splitting or getting wierd looking during the baking process, the lard means bread HAS TO be made daily or it will go nasty so , always fresh, but back to arbys I wish they sold miami cubans

·
Administrator
18,063 Posts
Maybe "Hot Pockets" will come out with a Cubano. 2 minutes in the Nukavator.

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
Heck Dave,
Ya ain't that far from me when the weather's nice.
Ya can get the real deal.
@mikeyMarine @DarisPakar Think the guy gets his bread from Miami shipped every day or two, & yeah. Lard. Tasted it right off and it influences the texture.
Foodie? Eh, never thought of myself as such. I'm really more of one for "Peasant Food" than haute cuisine. I did cook professionally more than a bit (pays for beans) & learned some basics from my dad who took a cooking class then taught me what he learned, & went from there..I'm fat. I like to eat so it just kinda all adds up. 😁
@DarisPakar The Muffaletta does indeed look like a mouthful, & familiar. Think I've run across it before, but tough to say cuz I did work a couple places building sammiches and a couple italian food places, so may have just been a similar OMIGAWD stacked sammich. Thanks though. I think I'll poke around & see if there's an outfit around here that does one, or build one & split it with SWMBO,

In return for this sammich of wonderment I offer you a humble and simple French lunch Staple...The Jambon Beurre. There are a few variants, but at it's heart it's three ingredients. Butter, Baguette, & Ham. Ideally you have Parisian Ham, a boiled ham, a proper crisp baguette (there are many bad ones, & few proper ones around here), & salted butter, preferably from grass fed cows, but any will do.
Of those I am most likely to compromise on the ham. I can get that around here, but it's a bit pricey (not too bad) and keeps poorly once sliced. I usually use Costco's Kirkland pre sliced stuff. Works a charm. You can add mustard, &/or cheese if you like but with a good baguette, & butter I've found there really is no need. SWMBO and I use these as part of an appropriately French picnic out to the Cascades, & find an appropriately windswept vista on a fireroad to enjoy said at times. Making the Jambon Buerre while keeping things from blowing away is part of the adventure of course.

Maybe "Hot Pockets" will come out with a Cubano. 2 minutes in the Nukavator.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts