Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

Premium Member
Great idea with the sauce, making a crock pot Roast this weekend. (y)
Stinks up the whole house real nice 馃槵

Have you tried an Insta-Pot pressure cooker yet ? I鈥檓 not much into kitchen gadgets but the 鈥淚P鈥 makes cooking easy and keeps the kitchen cool. I have the Crock-Pot labeled one and it鈥檚 just as good. You can actually season and sear the meat first then deglaze the pot and create a robust au jus with a finished meal in 45 min.

Don鈥檛 get me wrong 鈥. I was an Honorary Member of the Round Rock Crock Potters but the 鈥淚P鈥 is a game changer.

Snag one off Amazon and try it for 29 days.

Premium Member
amateurs! throw an unopened pack of hotdogs in the dishwasher at noon, meal ready for supper breakfast lunch and supper again the next day, you don't even hafta take the bike parts outta the washer.

Reactions: wspollack

Premium Member
Wow, $22 bucks for fast food? I guess this is the new norm. I have to try it now and weigh in, sometime this weekend.
Last summer I went to Five Guys for lunch, while out riding. They are normally the best burger you can get at a chain... at least around here. I got a large soda, large fries, and a "regular" burger (which is two patties).

$25 and change. That was about $10 more than what I was used to paying there for that same meal.

I haven't been back, since.

I can't even imagine what that would have cost in somewhere like Chicago or DC!

Premium Member
Have you tried an Insta-Pot pressure cooker yet ? I鈥檓 not much into kitchen gadgets but the 鈥淚P鈥 makes cooking easy and keeps the kitchen cool. I have the Crock-Pot labeled one and it鈥檚 just as good. You can actually season and sear the meat first then deglaze the pot and create a robust au jus with a finished meal in 45 min.

Don鈥檛 get me wrong 鈥. I was an Honorary Member of the Round Rock Crock Potters but the 鈥淚P鈥 is a game changer.

Snag one off Amazon and try it for 29 days.
I used to do this every Sunday with whatever roast was on sale that week. I'd have sandwich meat all week for... really... all of ten minutes of actual work? And DIRT cheap, compared to buying sliced deli meat.

I use the IP weekly now to make hard boiled eggs for me and the pups (keeps their coats soft and silky...and... my done shiny?). I also use it to make "stir fry" using steal cut oats in like... 15 minutes start to finish. I really love that thing!

Premium Member
Burgies and Foodies...now were making progress. We'll have to plan a Burgman riders ride in food festival.
mikey Marine is in charge of the hotdogs. But I'm going to have him addicted to Authentic Mexican before that, I know a great Mexican place halfway between us..."meet and eat" soon. (no snails)

Premium Member
Last summer I went to Five Guys for lunch, while out riding. They are normally the best burger you can get at a chain... at least around here. I got a large soda, large fries, and a "regular" burger (which is two patties).

$25 and change. That was about $10 more than what I was used to paying there for that same meal.

I haven't been back, since.

I can't even imagine what that would have cost in somewhere like Chicago or DC!
I try to break free from the chains and support the Mom & Pops but the real estate prices and rents have pushed 鈥榚m out around here. I just had a Sunday Lunch Indian Buffet and talked to a friend of the owner as we smoked cigs outside 鈥.the owner was paying $17k per month rent and the guy I was talking to pays $7k monthly rent for his Halal Meat Shop & Grocery with a $1,500 monthly electric bill.

Premium Member
Thats crazy, wonder what his bottom-line profit is? That would be disheartening busting your arse to make a living and shoveling that kind of cash out. There are far more expenses involved as well.

Premium Member
But I'm going to have him addicted to Authentic Mexican before that, I know a great Mexican place halfway between us..."meet and eat" soon. (no snails)
You gotta try an Insta-pot for Carnitas and Carne Gasada 鈥. you鈥檒l still want to put the Carnitas under the Broiler for a couple minutes to get the edges charred. 馃グ

Just picked up a boneless pork loin for under $1.50 a pound at costco. I smoke mine and slice for sandwiches 鈥. You ever had a Cubano Sandwich from Tampa ? That鈥檚 the True Tampa Jewel.

Premium Member
鈥.the owner was paying $17k per month rent and the guy I was talking to pays $7k monthly rent for his Halal Meat Shop & Grocery with a $1,500 monthly electric bill.
And people think raising the minimum wage to $15/hr OR MORE (some are pushing for $20), won't hurt the mom and pops that are already on a razor thin margin. ok. Sure.

I used to talk to the local pizzeria owner whenever I'd go in to pick up my order. He was always there because he couldn't compete with the bigger chain prices AND pay a lot of staff AND cover operational costs. He was telling me once that the price some something had increased like 2% or something "relatively" small during a slow week. It completely took out his profit that week.

Folks who never worked in these places... or more importantly gave a **** to take the minute to LEARN about how these places actually run... have no idea about the costs involved. I was told around my neck of the woods, most mom and pops run on less than a 5% margin. That's bloody insane!

Premium Member
arbys was good no doubt, but it was a one off, my only burger place now is an independent that has been operating since i was old enough to spill ketchup on myself, was the hangout for the teens waiting for it to get dark enough to go watch the submarine races, and the milkshake maker for after the movies or bowling. still plays 60's music and some of the same teens that worked there then are there now ((( still waiting on their foood) jk

Premium Member
We tried it for lunch today, no complaints. We prefer our local family restaurant/diner, owned and run by two Geek family's that know and love quality food. I can't get away from their burgers and toasted buns. If that place is open, one of the owners is always there seeing to things and hamming it up with the customers. Again, no complaints for fast food.

Administrator
In 1998 I joined in silent partnership with 2 friends in a Soup, Chips and Sandwich shop, no fried food. My initial startup invest was $20,000 and in the first 3 years I was getting a 8-12% return on my dollar but then 9/11 happened and the profits have gone away.

In 2005 I had to share the costs of a walkin refrig retro, $5,000.

So, in the 24 years I have received back about $6,000 in "FREE" soup and sandwiches. The two guys still run the shop with 1 helper. They are only opened for 4 hours 5 days a week and always have regular Boeing worker customers. The profit take each year is about 3-4% split 3 ways but I just let it ride into the maintenance fund.

Customers pay $15.50 for a thick Corned Beef brisket sandwich, coleslaw, baked beans or soup. The costs to make 1 sandwich is about $7-8, then overhead like rent, electric, insurance, parking space rent, taxes, health insurance.....

We have talked a lot about closing it down at a huge loss. Overhead is too high compared to 1998.

Premium Member
We tried it for lunch today, no complaints. We prefer our local family restaurant/diner, owned and run by two Geek family's that know and love quality food. I can't get away from their burgers and toasted buns. If that place is open, one of the owners is always there seeing to things and hamming it up with the customers. Again, no complaints for fast food.
You never leave a Greek Restaurant Hungry 鈥. I worked a summer for Greek Restauranteurs in Athens, Ohio while going to college. They were always closed on Sunday鈥檚 and they would invite me for Sunday Lunch 鈥 they would laugh when I would nap under the shade tree with a full belly. Those were the Days my Friend

Registered
2012 Burgman 400
I tried the arby's burger last nite, better than bk mcD wendys or checkers
I had one for lunch, probably my new fast go-to. Not amazing, but pretty good! I ordered the bacon ranch, but didn't get any bacon.

And, as far as the Instant Pot? Gotta get one! I got one back in November, first thing I did was pot roast, the meat just fell apart, excellent, I've used it for several things, chicken is the same, it just falls apart, flavors are pressure cooked in. Best is Cassoulet... 馃い馃嵎

Registered
2012 Burgman 400
Could you give a link to the Cassoulet Recipe ?

I just confirmed I can use chicken vs duck and I just happen to have some duck fat and cannellini beans.
I used chicken thighs and smoked sausage. I combined a couple different recipes, main one, I think...the second time I didn't do the crust, it was more of a soup, very good with a Bourdeaux or Tannat!
Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi Cassoulet

21 - 40 of 100 Posts