Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems as if I am just falling apart. My left hip has been bothering me for the past couple of years. My internal medicine guy told me that he figured it was my Rheumatoid Arthritis causing it. The hip kept getting worse and worse. Finally he told me to bring it to my Rheumatologist. Said Rheumatologist checked me and told me that it wasn't my R.A. and that I needed to see a vascular surgeon. Got a referral and went last week to see the guy. He tells me that I have no pulses in my left leg and the pain to my hip is being caused by lack of blood flow to my hip. He is going to do a Arteriogram a week from today hoping to put a stent in me to allow blood to flow to my hip and leg. If this is not possible he says surgery will be necessary so I can keep that leg. Kind of scary to me. So I can keep my leg? Wow.

I am trying to keep a stiff upper lip as the Brits say but never the less, I am scared. Not just a little scared, a lot scared. Keep me in your prayers, thoughts, what ever please.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Sounds like they know what they're doing, and that you'll be ok once they get it done. Best wishes for a simple procedure and an uncomplicated recovery!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Stents don't address the underlying cause of the problem. Consider the idea that your condition is the result of long term dietary indiscretions and the resultant physiological imbalances. A stent will provide short term symptom relief, but without correcting the underlying causative factors, the problem will progress unabated.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stents don't address the underlying cause of the problem. Consider the idea that your condition is the result of long term dietary indiscretions and the resultant physiological imbalances. A stent will provide short term symptom relief, but without correcting the underlying causative factors, the problem will progress unabated.
The underlying problem to many of my medical problems is exposure to Agent Orange, a gift to many from our Uncle Sam.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
Doug, this is a simple procedure unless your the one getting the roto-rooterer'ing done. They shave ya where the sun does not normaly shine. Then they clamp on to one of those squishie things in your leg. Snake the wire up, and blow up a baloon a couple places and then pop a spring steel cage in place. You will need to be on anti-clot/blood thinners for about a year. Best of luck and YES we will be thinking bout ya.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Dude I feel for you but as long as circulation can be stimulated and stays strong after the stint things should be good. My dad had issues with his legs after he got put behind a desk after years of traveling. He started a light walking regiment and it worked wonders for him.
Those Service related health issues Blow! I have many friends that suffer in one way or another from their time served during war and peace. I missed Vietnam by 4 months and now realize how lucky I was.
Thank you for your service during those crazy years in our nations history!
On the Prayer List for sure.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ask you all to forgive my whining. In the last six months, I have had a major heart attack (my fourth), eye surgery (to remove cataracts), and the loss of the ability to walk beyond 50 feet (this procedure is supposed to help with that). Sometimes things just get a person down. I do appreciate all of you and your comments and thoughts.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
All the best with this Doug :thumbup:

Stiff upper lip AND remaining positive are powerful medications.;)

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Hang in their man. My Mom had that same procedure done about 10 years ago and it made a big difference in her ability to get around. Best wishes for a good outcome.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think half of my problems are that having been a Marine for almost 9 years, I could do anything I set my mind to doing. This lasted through my 50's and three heart attacks. But now in my 60's things aren't going so well and I can't seem to get on top of things through sheer will power. AND I am sick of going to doctors! Crap, I have more doctors now than most people have pants. I have 5 doctors that are continually torturing me. Yes, I know that they are trying to help me but sometimes... It gets old.

The Golden Years have not turned out to be so golden after all. Unless you are referring the the amount of money these doctors are making off of me.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I hope you get this problem fixed. You will be in our prayers!
Take care!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I recently went through all those test , all they found is bulging disk in L2-3 L3-4 L4-5 and arthritis in L5 . The surgeon refused to operate because he said I should only have sciatica in the right leg and I have it in both . My family doctor an internist and a good friend , says I need a micro-discectomy but because it doesn't show up enough while stationary in all the test , the surgeons don't want to operate . The surgeon basically blew me off and recommended the nerve and vascular test which I then had and were negative . I was also in pain management which didn't work , then physical therapy for 2 months . The physical therapy was helping , but I was thrown into the street after 2 months because 2 months was the limit on insurance . While I was in PT they were giving me electro therapy which worked better for me than the pain injections . I actually wound up buying a $5,000 electro therapy machine for myself and a gym membership to continue the PT . Does this all sound like the "the asinine medical insurance moron doctor protocol run around" to you ? I was in such bad shape at the beginning of the year , I had to hire an assistant to come in 3 hours a day to do just about every thing for me . The pain in my back was so severe that I thought if suicide was the only relief I would eventually have to do myself in , IT WAS THAT BAD ! When I would go shopping I went late at night , to make sure there was one of those electric wheel chairs available . Today I am still going to the gym and still taking the electro therapy , and I'm actually getting a little better . I've learned what not to do to aggravate the nerves causing the pain , my girl now comes in once or twice a week . With all the doctors and all the crazy excruciating pain , it's been one **** of a journey . They say it takes about 2 years for disc to retract if not aggravated , I've been at this for almost one year so maybe I can cure myself in another year ? I didn't mention that to lessen the pressure on the disc in the lumbar region I lost 45 pounds which also helped . Oh , and I've had 5 heart surgeries too .

To all the fine doctors who treated me in my hour of need :thebirdman:

Good luck with getting old ...........TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know from where TheReaper is coming from. A little over a year ago I was sitting on our back porch in pain thinking to myself if this was all the better I was going to get, I would just take things into my own hands and end it all. I finally got the idea of just how bad I was hurting through to my doctor (I told him what I was considering) and he got me some pain relief. He got me back to my Rheumatologist and that one got me back on meds for my RA (I was in what they call, a flare). Sucked. Right now I have to use a wheel chair if I am going anywhere where there is walking involved. Again, this sucks. This is the reason we are doing the arteriogram on me.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
I think half of my problems are that having been a Marine for almost 9 years, I could do anything I set my mind to doing. This lasted through my 50's and three heart attacks. But now in my 60's things aren't going so well and I can't seem to get on top of things through sheer will power. AND I am sick of going to doctors! Crap, I have more doctors now than most people have pants. I have 5 doctors that are continually torturing me. Yes, I know that they are trying to help me but sometimes... It gets old.

The Golden Years have not turned out to be so golden after all. Unless you are referring the the amount of money these doctors are making off of me.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
Ha, now you really know what they mean when they say once a Marine,,,,
it's hard having been immortal to realize now you have limitations lol I spect enny day now i'll have to fess up to not beain as young as I used to be , thank God I still got my looks !:munky2:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha, now you really know what they mean when they say once a Marine,,,,
it's hard having been immortal to realize now you have limitations lol I spect enny day now i'll have to fess up to not beain as young as I used to be , thank God I still got my looks !:munky2:
Don't have the looks anymore although my wife still tells me I am good looking but I think that goes with the wife job description. But I do still have the can do attitude. It's just that sometimes even with the can do attitude, I can't do. Sucks.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
My F.I.L. had a similar problem and after numerous tests, it was decided that he should have the stints and an arterial graft. The femoral artery was badly clogged and because of his Diabetes the doctor wanted to make sure he had plenty of blood flow to his lower limbs. It has improved his life style greatly. He still can't do any marathons but he can walk a lot farther then he used to and he is back to riding his 650. He can ride for about an hour straight now before he needs to stop and stretch. Try to keep a positive outlook and that it can and will get better.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My F.I.L. had a similar problem and after numerous tests, it was decided that he should have the stints and an arterial graft. The femoral artery was badly clogged and because of his Diabetes the doctor wanted to make sure he had plenty of blood flow to his lower limbs. It has improved his life style greatly. He still can't do any marathons but he can walk a lot farther then he used to and he is back to riding his 650. He can ride for about an hour straight now before he needs to stop and stretch. Try to keep a positive outlook and that it can and will get better.
I thank the powers that be that I can still ride. Have to take frequent breaks but I can live with that. It is the now being able to walk for over 25 feet without severe pain to my left hip and leg that I find hard to live with. I have been looking at some of these sport wheelchairs that I might be able to figure a mount for my Burgman for. Hopefully after the procedure the wheelchair problem will become moot.

I am actually looking forward to this procedure. Anything to have my legs back.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

1 - 20 of 20 Posts