Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temps below freezing, have my skirt on -- yes I love it, I'm a trend setter and I know it ;) But, I am wondering about pluging in my jacket liner. Should I remove the battery cover/starter relay assembly and connect directly to the terminals, or is it possible/ok to attach the leads to the starter assembly? :help: Is there another way? better ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
starter assembly? NO!! you need the Power for your Starter to start the engine!!

Most People connect to the ACC accessories Wires which is your Cig Port
you can all so connect directly to the terminals as long as you Turn the Unit off when your Done using it.

with the connected accessories which only runs with Key in the Ignition

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohh cool, please talk me through this -- do I need to remove the cig lighter to access the pos/neg wires? does part of it pop off? the jacket has actual connectors that would fit over the battery terminals -- I should snip them off and clear a bit of wire to make the connection? no wait -- there's probably an adapter for that isn't there?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ha ha ha -- ok ok, the plug in is less than $5 -- off to the walmart I go, trying to make things crazy difficult -- guess it was kind of a dopey question after all o_O

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Just to throw a monkey wrench into your plans. I wouldn't power the liner off the accessories plug for a couple of reasons. The main one is it has been determined that the current for that plug flows through the ignition switch which already has a lot of current going through it. The ignition switches on these bikes have been known to burn out and adding even more current going through them won't do anything to help that situation.

The better choice is to wire directly to the battery. You cannot wire directly to the relay on the top of the battery cover. Both the terminals on it are positive terminals. You will need to remove the battery cover and wire directly to the battery terminals.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would hook it directly to the battery since the battery is close and easy to access. You don't have to worry about turning it off because the liner will go with you when you get off the bike.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
or to make just a little more difficult use a switched power unit from eastern beaver or others - its more work and more expense but then you only do this once and never mess with the battery again - but the battery on the 650 is right there where you sit, on the 400 its up front so maybe less convenient

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html

also ledudes center has a home grown

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I did end up wiring it to the battery. Last night I was trying to hook it up in the parking garage with just the seat light (picked jacket up on the way to work), and didn't want to pop off the battery cover. However, after I got home this morning it was no problem to see what I was doing under the seat and get everything hooked up right. Kept me totally toasty warm on my way into work tonight.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I love my heated vest; it feels like the warm sun shining on my back. Glad you got yours working!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like the one I ended up with. At the bike shop everything I tried on had a couple of heating elements over, well, just over my boobs. Frankly, that isn't the problem, my back and my arms (and hands) get scary cold when the temp falls below 30! We looked through the catalog and found a Venture jacket liner that has heating elements all over, the sleeves, back, front and in the collar! Only took 2 days to get here and once I got it all plugged in, it makes for a lovely ride.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The coldest I've ever ridden was 22F. It was pretty bad and I had several moments when I was doubting I'd make it. But I did and learned my lesson. Have you got heated grips? I'd seriously recommend them.

http://www.hotgrips.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts