Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't worry :lol: - I am talking about the desktop on your PC, thought it would be kinda fun to see what others have as their desktop! :)

Norms Desktop

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Mike what you have to do is minimize all the windows you have open untill you get back to your desktop . Then together hold down the alt and prtscn keys. Now you go to start/ programs/ accessories /paint and then hit the ctrl and v keys together. Then save the image as a .jpeg image and then you can upload to the gallery and you can then link to it.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Norm,
Noticed you have AVG anti-virus. I just downloaded my free copy and love it! I did a scan with Norton and found nothing. Did a scan with AVG and found a trojan horse on my computer. It is a lot more complete than Norton Anti-virus, and faster too. The "Geek Squad" at Best Buy Electronic store told me about it. Have you had any problems with it?

Kelly

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
casek said:
Norm,
Noticed you have AVG anti-virus. I just downloaded my free copy and love it! I did a scan with Norton and found nothing. Did a scan with AVG and found a trojan horse on my computer. It is a lot more complete than Norton Anti-virus, and faster too. The "Geek Squad" at Best Buy Electronic store told me about it. Have you had any problems with it?

Kelly
Well - I do not think any ONE package can do all things well, what one package will miss others may pick up. I found Norton too troublesome in the way it grabbed system resources and interfered with legit programmes. AVG has been trouble free although of late their update site has been a bit slow from time to time. Whatever - the free version of AVG is very effective and above all, for a tight wad like me - Good Value!! :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have used both Norton and McAfee anti-virus software in the past. They each got to the point where they became too intrusive. That is typical with Norton software, but was a disappointment with McAfee. I want an anti-virus to run in the background, update virus signature files automatically, and above all - don't bother me unless there is something I really need to know. And no hit on PC performance or legitimate programs please.

I bought Panda Titanium licenses last year - and it does all that nicely. However, I am due to renew the licenses. Their web renewal only works if you have a single license - I have two. So I called. I went through their automated number menu and got transfered to an employee's voicemail. I left my name, phone number, and customer number, as instructed. That was Thursday. It is now Saturday, and they never returned the call. I take that as a hint that I might want to consider another alternative...

I was searching for the AVG site and found this review page. The reviews are limited, but they do rank AVG as opposed to some others. They also provide links to each companies website.

I guess I'll be doing some anti-virus software shopping this weekend.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
Take a look at F-Prot by Frisk Software. Low resources required, I run the updater ever hour, and for Windows (home users) is $29 per year and covers up to 5 of your home PCs. They have a 30 day trial edition for download.

See :

http://www.f-prot.com

The DOS edition is free for personal use and can fit (with updates) on a couple of floppies. VERY handy for fixing a Windows PC (using FAT file system) that is already infected.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hmph! I was able to save my screen, but couldn't get into the gallery to post it. Wouldn't accept my password. (Waaaaah!)

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pauljo said:
I was searching for the AVG site and found this review page. The reviews are limited, but they do rank AVG as opposed to some others. They also provide links to each companies website.

Paul thats an old review and looks at AVG V6.0 whereas V7.0 has been out around a year now IIRC and is much improved with a nicer interface than its predecessor. Give it a try - its free!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Norman,

Here is another review that scared me due to the poor detection rate of AVG. Yes it is still version 6 being reviewed. There are other free scanners in this review that did out-perform AVG6.

In another review I read, they said that the free AVG puts an advertising trailer on all of your outgoing emails. Is that true? I wouldn't like that.

The "paid for" version of AVG is $59 for a two year license for 2 PCs. Not much different from F-Prot at $29/year for multiple PCs (I only have two). The down side of F-Prot is that it is fairly slow. Another downside of AVG though is that there are only two regular virus updates per week? At least that is what one article said.

Panda Titanium has been great, and most reviewers still give it high marks. But at $49 per PC for 1 year - it is just too expensive. That comes to $98 per year for me vs about $30 per year for F-Prot or the "paid for" AVG. And then there are at least 4 different free offerings (but if they are doing stuff like advertising via my email I don't consider them totally free). I've been looking at this issue all day, off and on, and I'm still not decided on how to go.

I know we are sorta hijacking a thread here.... But that won't be a first on BurgmanUSA. Darn moderators should be stricter! :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Aaaahhh! Isn't that an alien from MIB II?

Steve

1 - 20 of 38 Posts