Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am undecided which Burgman I want for my first. I have owned several bikes in the past with an 01 Honda Magna VF 750 being my last. I sold it last year.

I am looking at the STD 650 over the Executive solely due to price difference but I am wondering about the windshield and its protection. I assume that its not adjustable and at 5'-9" I wonder if the stock shield will be adequate.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an exe. The stock windshield sucked up or down. I installed a Clearview, all is well.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It depends on what I important to YOU ! If you want the best bang for the buck find a nice low mile standard for around $3,500 or less and get a GIVI windshield like this .
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-d257st-d263st-windscreen-an650-burgman-executive?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CjwKEAiA74qkBRCdrM-6or7U73QSJABCDL9plD0vVgCf0zlNnp3TfC7W_afHrlpxJ4Vxc_40t0SBoxoCbqvw_wcB

Then go from there with what ever your little heart desires . Some people like all that up and down windshield , electric mirrors and the ASB brakes . Personally none of that matters to me , so I've stuck with the standard models . Also , if you pay and extra $1,000 or even more for an Executive model , if your CVT blows up that Executive won't be worth a dime more when you dump it . Personally I would rather put that extra money on some nice GIVI luggage , but that's me . You should look at and ride both and decide what YOU want and what YOU are willing to pay for it . Hope that helps you .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
175 Posts
ABS alone is worth the difference in price to me but that's me. All my current bikes have ABS but the MG antique. And technically it has ABS too but only because it is next to impossible to lock up the front drum brake.

I'm not sure I would buy another bike unless it came with ABS and the main reason I traded in the Yamaha Tmax on the Burgman 650.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have found that the electric windscreen is most useful because it can be set at any height for any circumstance. Also, I always retract the mirrors when filtering.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought an '09 650 because I found a great deal on it locally. The stock windshield was poor, so I installed an XL Clearview, which helped some, but I still have a lot of noise. I think the Executive, with the height adjustment, would enable me to just barely look over the top of the shield, which would help quiet things down. So...I would advise the Ex. if you can find one for the price you have in mind.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
I've has a 650 standard and I currently own a 650 Exec. I did not like the OEM windshield on either but it was more tolerable on the Exec. Reason being I could adjust the position to lessen the wind buffeting a little.

On both I went to an aftermarket Clearview windshield. That was a big improvement. I still like the Exec better though because I can adjust the windshield to suit the wind conditions I am riding in at any given time. Sometimes the windshield is better raised all the way up, sometimes all the way down and sometimes somewhere in the middle. It just depends on the wind and temp at the time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I keep the shield all the way up full time, so that doesn't matter to me. But I will no longer ride any bike without ABS, so I wouldn't have a standard at any price.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd buy whichever you can find the best deal on. The difference between the standard and executive isn't enough to sway your decision one way or another to me.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My last bike was a Honda Magna 750. I loved that bike, but my '06 standard 650 is so much better I sold my car a few years ago. You will want an aftermarket windshield on either the Standard or Executive. They are wider and give better wind protection. I know ABS is a good thing, but I've never had one, and am not interested in an adjustable windshield or electric folding mirrors. If I'm lane splitting, and the mirrors are too wide to go between safely, I just don't do it. It only makes a few inches difference really. The Clearview windshield is great protection without adjustments, and I have the vent to adjust air flow. I might add a Laminar lip and cut the top down a couple of inches. That way you could have unobstructive view and a quieter ride. You'll be happy with whichever one you get. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I am looking at the STD
See a doctor about that. :D

I am looking at the Std 650 over the Executive solely due to price difference but I am wondering about the windshield and its protection. I assume that its not adjustable and at 5'-9" I wonder if the stock shield will be adequate.
At 5'8" the stock windshield is small, adding the Givi was perfect for me as I can either look over it or duck down a bit and through it. Love the hand protection and looks too. Never had an Exec or felt I needed the ABS or power folding mirrors though I'm sure once you have them it's nice.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
See a doctor about that. :D

At 5'8" the stock windshield is small, adding the Givi was perfect for me as I can either look over it or duck down a bit and through it. Love the hand protection and looks too. Never had an Exec or felt I needed the ABS or power folding mirrors though I'm sure once you have them it's nice.
I've always hated looking through a windshield , but I took MJR's advise and bought one the summer before last . I put it on for winter riding and never looked back . I got used to looking through it over the winter and now I'm used to it . Around here come winter you need all the protection you can get , and this windshield has the goods . As far as summer goes 80 and 90 degrees F and I'm not to hot . I give this mod 5 stars and the stock windshield 1 star or less .

TheReaper!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts