Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im a new owner,,650 ,,,when you have to slow down,,is the scooter supposed to really slow down like its in 1st gear?? i like it,,also what does power mode do?? and it shows its in D a green D,,is that correct??

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Welcome,

Yes, you just discovered the engine braking we talk about. You should get in the habit of slowly rolling back the throttle on deceleration. This will reduce that tendency, allowing for smoother ride, espically for your passinger.

Think of Power mode, as a passing gear. All it really does is increase the RPM by about 1,000.

D means Drive, as in an automatic trans.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
HI welcome to the forum.

What you are experiencing - transmission braking is a real bonus feature of the 650.

There are basically 3 essentials here:

First to ensure the effect is not excessive ensure your engine idle when hot is 1200rpm.

Second - when riding learn to roll the throttle off progressively, rather than snap it shut.

Third, once you are used to it and if you want more of the effect drop your idle to 1100 or even a 1000 (although personally I think 1200 is optimum for a blend of smooth idle and transmission braking.

Have fun.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Did you notice our teamwork in the answers too! :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Hello, bard4hire.

[I posted this in another thread, but moved it here since it answers your post specifically.]

Yes, the rapid decelleration you're experiencing is normal for the 650. A search for the keywords "Engine AND Braking" will get you many post about it.

Power mode raises the RPM of the engine by about 1000 at any given speed, which increases the power when accellerating, and also increases the engine braking when slowing down. It's very useful when you want to get off the line in a hurry (0-60 time is about 10 seconds in normal mode, and about 8 seconds in Power mode), and is helpful when overtaking and passing slower vehicles. It's also great when going through twisties, down hills, etc. as you get -- in my opinion -- more precise speed control without needing to touch the brakes as much. Proper use of Power mode does take some practice and experience, but once you're used to it it's great.

In both Normal and Power modes you'll have the green D lit (just as you thought, it means "Drive"), and in Power mode you'll also have "Power Mode" light up on the dash in orange letters (at least on the '03 and '04; not sure about the '05).

Manual mode, accessed by flipping the yellow switch on the left handgrip, will change the green D to a yellow number representing the optimal "gear" for whatever speed you're going when you switch; 1 - 5 on the '03s and '04s, and 1 - OD (6th) on the '05s. Once in manual mode you can shift to whatever gear (within reason) you want by pressing the orange Up and Down buttons on the left grip. I say "within reason" because the system won't let you shift into such a low gear as to lug the engine. The gear indicator will just blink at you, instead. Also, you can flip back and forth between manual and automatic at any speed.

I used the Manual mode a lot when I first got mine, but now I hardly ever use it. It's more of a sales gimmick than anything else think. It probably appeals to people used to conventional motorcycles, who might not have looked at a maxi-scooter otherwise.

I use the Power mode a lot, though. It "downshifts" just the right amount for when I need a performance feel more than an economy feel. It also works like a retarder on a big rig for when I'm braking. I love it.

HTH.

P.S. I see you are in Tampa. I lived in Tampa for 2 1/2 years. Webb Junior High for 9th grade, Leto Comprehensive High for 10th and part of 11th. 1970 - '72.

Been back a few times to McDill AFB and on vacation.

I hated the summers there, but loved the winters; may move back some day, at least part-time.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I did not like that "feature" at first but after a couple hundred miles I knew it was something that I'd get to appreciate.

I do not think that any of the 650's features are gimmicks. I use all of them every time I ride.

Welcome to the fun!

Pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you everyone!!

thank you everyone who answered my question,, thansk you again,,i love my burgman,650,, i almost bought the honda silverwing,,glad i didnt,,

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Engine breaking...

Welcome to BurgmanUSA. Engine braking capital of the world! :D

The engine braking is something you have to get use to or so everyone tells me. I haven't been able to ride enough yet to get comfortable with it. Once I get the scoot together I wouldn't mind riding over your way if you are interested. I'm planning on not being home much this fall with all the Florida riders here. My family has already accepted the fact that I have to get some miles under my belt. My old scoot was strictly a commuter. This one is for FUN.

Please explain Bard4Hire...what exactly is it you do and what are your rates? I might be of need of your services!

Enjoy and ride safe,

Dee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts