Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the fuel cap on my '09 Burgman 650 Executive. I can usually get it off without too many problems but putting it back on is a pain in the butt. Compounding the problems are the mounts on the bike for my Givi luggage. Getting two hands in there is almost too much (it takes both of my hands to get the #@#$J cap back on).

So guys, what is the trick? Is there a secret gas cap I can buy that lets me go without that big key? Or is there some other trick to it? I have never had a gas cap whup my butt before but this one is coming close.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
There is for the 400 but I don't recall one for the 650.
The trick is to make sure the arrows line up and that the key is turned while inserting the cap. If you look close you will see the arrow on the cap, an arrow on the side just below the fill tube and you will notice a raised triangle tit on the rubber overflow guard. Paint them white and you will be able to see them easier in low light conditions.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not the answer I was hoping for but something I will do never the less. Painting those things should help.

Thanks,
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
590 Posts
Try the 'Keyless' gas cap mod here.

http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/misc_photos/burgman_stuff/kkeyless-gas-cap-mod/

I have a 650 with Kiwi Dave racks.
Biggest problem I found was the length of the ignition key in the gas cap.
With this mod, the cap key stays in place.
The locked on side case protects to gas cap.

I used a knob from Radio Shack that has a small pointer protusion.
Easy to activate off/on.

Key blanks should be available from a locksmith shop.
ILCO - #X241 SUZ18 / SILCA - #SZ14RAP / CURTIS - #SU18.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
1- Align arrow.

2- Turn & torque key 7 ft-lb to right.

3- Drop cap in.

4- Release 5 ft-lb torque and key return left.

5- Cap now lock.

Child play

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try the 'Keyless' gas cap mod here.

http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/misc_photos/burgman_stuff/kkeyless-gas-cap-mod/

I have a 650 with Kiwi Dave racks.
Biggest problem I found was the length of the ignition key in the gas cap.
With this mod, the cap key stays in place.
The locked on side case protects to gas cap.

I used a knob from Radio Shack that has a small pointer protusion.
Easy to activate off/on.

Key blanks should be available from a locksmith shop.
ILCO - #X241 SUZ18 / SILCA - #SZ14RAP / CURTIS - #SU18.

Leo, I think I will try the adaption you have done. Looks the best of any I have seen and should work a charm. Thank you so much.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
There must be a rubber/plastic push-on petrol-cap that fits the 650. Does anyone know of one?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Leo, I think I will try the adaption you have done. Looks the best of any I have seen and should work a charm. Thank you so much. Namaste' Doug in Kentucky
If you can find a knob with the small set screw that holds the shaft in place, no need for JB Weld. I used Gorilla Glue - 3 years and still good.
Also, the knob with the pointer protusion gives good visual reference for cap orientation when re-installing.
Only need one hand, and so much easier when you have KD sidecase racks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm still struggling with the gas cap on my '13 650. Can someone take me through the procedure slowly... again.

Once i get the gas cap out of the bike should I leave the key in the cap? any and all comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I leave the key in the cap and set it on the rear seat. As suggested above paint the arrow - it points up on mine and should on yours too. When you put the cap on align the arrow with the new mark you painted on adjacent to the arrow and turn the key clockwise to disengage the locking lugs - push the cap onto the filler neck and release the key - it should rotate counter-clockwise on its own - pull the key out and your on your way.

That how my 08 works.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Getting it rotated correctly and using two hands are necessary. I keep the key turned before pushing it down. When it is lined up correctly it drops down easier than a hot knife through butter.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I keep the key in it and turn the key prior to reinserting the gas cap. The arrows are hard to see and so far I have been using the blind approach which works.

Should I fill up the bike on the center stand or use the kick stand? I have done both and not seen much difference. The bike flashes it needs gas when it has 1 gallon left. It flashes with a second light when it has about 0.4-0.5 gallons left. It is a nice system.

I hate the fuel cap though and would pay for a new one without a key.

·
Registered
147 Posts
To remove my gas cap. I lightly press cap down with two fingers. Keeping key turned to right to unlock. Lift out with key. To install. Key has to be turned to the right to retract locking pins. Place cap in hole ARROW POINTING DOWN with key in unlocked position. Lightly press down with two fingers. Turn key to left to lock. Hope this works for you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
NAPA has a keyless one that fits the 400. Part number 703-1589. Apparently it doesn't work on a 650, but I suspect they would have one that would fit.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Getting it rotated correctly and using two hands are necessary. I keep the key turned before pushing it down. When it is lined up correctly it drops down easier than a hot knife through butter.
I practiced your two hand technique in the garage. I found that removing and replacing the cap wasn't that bad. Thank You.

I still would prefer a non locking gas cap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not to be negative. But even filling the tank with that tube position on the bike gives me trouble. Any gas station I roll into whose pumps are pushing high pressure. I have to hold up the rubber gas nozzle seal or the pumps pressure blows back and keeps shutting their pump off. Very Fustrating. I liked the 400 burgie tank fill position better.

If I get some time I would love to design an extended tube to a position back behind the seat. And out of the way for side bags with easier access :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Any gas station I roll into whose pumps are pushing high pressure. I have to hold up the rubber gas nozzle seal or the pumps pressure blows back and keeps shutting their pump off. Very Fustrating. I liked the 400 burgie tank fill position better.
I haven't actually had this problem, but I read in another thread that a 1.5 inch piece of PVC will correct that problem by holding the rubber seal back for you. It'll even ride inside the gas cap cover door when not in use. Just cut yourself a small chunk of the PVC pipe and stick it between the pump nozzle and the tank hole when you fill up.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Two hands should NEVER be needed to replace a petrol-cap. The door itself should have the lock as on most cars. I think the cap is an over-engineered design nightmare.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts