Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
I'm Don, 52 yo and have been riding most of my life.
The pull of the Burgman-sphere has been strong on me for a few years now. Last month it finally sucked me in.

I have been having a few chronic health issues lately and numbness and pain in my left foot was causing a real issue with shifting, necessitating the sale
of my last bike (03 ZRX 1200) . The ZRX was basically my dream bike. I bought it new and spent a lot of time, effort and of course money making it right .
In the end I just couldn't let it stay a garage queen. I sold it to a co-worker who literally rides it every day to work.

In April a relative decided he no longer had the energy to ride (he is in his mid 70s) I half joked about taking it off his hands with a "family" discount. He wasn't joking
and now I have an '07 400 in my garage.

But here is the rest of the story...
I kind of knew the history of the bike in the sense that my relative bought it from a neighbor who is a real bike guy... mainly Harley type stuff. I assumed it would be, over all... in good kit. I was told it had 3000 miles, new tires, battery and a fresh oil change. So without much inspection (after all it was a very good family discount) I trailer'd it home to me casa.

After a closer look in the garage, 3000 miles seemed a bit of a stretch... this thing kind of looked rode hard and put away wet. After an initial shake out ride (complete with full shimmy under acceleration) my son was in the driveway when I got back, and asked if I knew the tail lights were out. Sure enough no tail or brake lights at ALL.

I had an idea and after figuring out the dash layout discovered the poor ole guy had been looking at the trip meter the whole time. The Burgs real age was 15,200 mi.
I had one of those ...Oh my gosh what have I got myself into... deals.

Anyway, I used to frequent the ZRX board a lot in the day... I know how valuable these forums (and the people on them) can be. I have already learned a bunch about the scoot and look forward to learning and maybe sharing some meaningfull info in the future.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Welcome Funny New Guy,

You came in the right door, and found the right place to find out about the Burgman 400. We have a lot of knowledgeable B400 riders from around the world that have dealt with every problem imaginable.

So ask your questions and be amazed at the help you will receive .

·
Registered
657 Posts
Welcome to the mob. A Burgman 400 with 15,200 miles is still young, so it seems as though yours has lived a rough, although little-used, life.

Check out the YouTube videos by micbergsma. He has a collection on how to repair your generation of B400. He may become your best (virtual) friend.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Welcome. All should be repairable.

Does the shimmy go away after you get rolling? Could be clutch "judder" which is not that uncommon. And we can offer suggestions.

Some ideas on the tail lights...horn is on the same circuit with brake and tail lights so if it doesn't work check the fuse - #5 labeled Signal. There's a panel just below the gauges that pulls straight out, fuses on left side. If not that probably the lamps but would be unusual for a four filaments to be out.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Also, I would recommend getting the Haynes and/or factory service manual. Haynes is decent for most things and less expensive than FSM.

·
Premium Member
8,029 Posts
Welcome, great site to get everything you need to know, being the fng means you have huge reserves of potential! :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Welcome! I really enjoy my 400. At 15,000 miles your right at changing the drive belt if it never has. You can check out the variator and the rear clutch at that time. If you have been riding almost your whole life hopefully you have been tooling too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts