Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not a huge fan of the overrated stretch of road known as the Dragon. But the 650 in Power Mode made it my most enjoyable ride across it to date this past Tuesday. Later, in Wears Valley, a sport biker who had passed me on the Dragon was pumping gas at the same time as me. He said .... "You were moving pretty good .... dare I say for a scooter." I assured him this "scooter" was much more capable than the rider!

Then on Friday .... Friday my buddy and I rode to Fort Knox Kentucky to the General Patton Museum. From there on to Louisville and stopped in at the Motorcycle Superstore Outlet. I got confused in my head about the directions. So we stopped at a tire store to ask for directions. I pulled right up into the service bay, flipped up my shield and ask a couple guys standing there where Industry Road is. After giving me directions the one guy ask, "is that a moped or a scooter"? Now I’m 300 lbs, and in full gear, sitting atop this moped/ scooter .... I said, "it’s a Maxi-Scooter". He’s looking the bike over ..... and says "will that run on the Interstate?" I just smiled and said ... "I just came here from Cookeville TN this morning". With an astonished look on his face , He said, DAM! ( I can spell **** but the filter would not allow it )

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
yeah, i hear you, similar thing happened to me today, first time riding with this guys and I was asked whether the Burgman was capable of doing 60Mph, then what was the displacement, they were worried if it was capable of keeping up with the groups pace, they split the rally into two groups the "standard" and the "fast", I went on the "standard(read it slow)" first and then after a toll I waited for the "Fast" that were behind, and then leader approached me and said "we go fast and even more than 70mph" , trying to change my mind. I said "OK" that's fine.

turns out the "fast" group spitted into two and I was riding in the first half, by the time we got to the next checkpoint/stop, they stop asking cr4p and started to talk about the accessories and gear the bike has.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
This sh1t never gets old. I love the ignorance stories.

I rode once with a pack of Harley riders and got zero respect, until afterwards. The best compliment one of them could muster was, "Wow, that thing can move..." Lol.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I the one guy ask, "is that a moped or a scooter"?
:laughing7: I have never run into anybody that ignorant of scoots but obviously they exist. Thanks for sharing that. Maybe you should have told him it's a rocket, mine feels like that in comparison to my my old 50cc scoot{and mine is the 400, the 650 is that much faster}.

PS - I would love to go to the Patton museum!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I was told by an "expert" that if the top speed is less than 200kph/130MPH it is not a real motorcycle.

I hope he tells that to a group of "motorcycle enthusiasts" (HA) one day.

If I get questioned by people who I fear will make remarks like that, I tell them it's a 45 KPH (30 MPH) moped and get on my way as quick as possible.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I used to be quick to defend the Ole girl and talk about it's top speed and various other specs but I think I'll just tell them it's a 45mph moped. Got nothing to prove. Getting too old for that now. Let the blind lead the blind.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>I was told by an "expert" that if the top speed is less than 200kph/130MPH it is not a real motorcycle.<<

Well, that would certainly exclude Harleys! :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think the maxis are just off the radar for most people, rider or not. They are uncommon enough that I often get the "what is that? looks cool--how fast?". Most of the time they're HD or BMW riders. The local Fed Ex driver wanted to buy mine, believe it or not.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I think in all honesty that a lot of people aren't being sarcastic when they ask, because it's a maxi scooter and not little scooter it's a bit confusing because it doesn't look like a conventional motorbike.

A Really good looking girl came over to me last week and asked me what it was? I start my reply with: it's a Suzuki Burgman, and then i take the conversation from there. (I'm not a great conversationalist) but she was very pleasant and commented was a lovely looking bike it was, I could tell by her demenour that she wasent trying to jib me.

If you ask me with a sarcastic tone, like you're trying to make fun of me, i'll stop in my tracks and walk over to the motorcycle rider and ask: So, how many miles do you have on this queen of clunkers ?

You can always Kill em stone dead by saying: Yeah Tom Hanks got me started on this!

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
When asked if my Burgman is a moped...
my response is..
a moped has pedals..
do you see any pedals ??

·
Registered
30 Posts
i tried to join a few riding clubs that were charitable.brothers keepers(fire dept i used to be a vol.)said it has to be at least a 1000cc cruiser so it can keep on the highway.bikers against child abuse told me that riding a scooter wasnt intimidating,yet i saw a women member who rides a honda rebel,i guess thats going to scare somebody.i dont know of anyone who is scared of someone because they ride a motorcycle.

·
Registered
643 Posts
From time to time I ride with a group of guys & gals that ride liter plus sport & sport touring bikes. The first time they told me they would slow down for me, but when I passed a Ducati on a corner the subject was never brought up again. The biggest thrill of my life was when riding my Burgman, Walt Fulton told me "you handle the bike really well." Thank god he didn't see me totally flub a corner this weekend.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I went with my nephew Friday to be a witness for him and his GF who were getting married in front of the Justice of the Peace. Afterwards he and his new father-in-law walked up to me as I was getting ready to jump on the Burgman to go home. We started talking about bikes and this guy chimes in with a "well if I were to have a bike it'd be a Harley." Never the shy retiring type (runs in the family) my nephew speaks up and asks me "hey unk - what year was that Harley you sold last year?" His new father-in-law looks sideways at him with a dumb look and says nothing for a bit so I ask him what he's riding currently - "well I ain't" - I ask what was your last bike (and I'm thinking bicycle) as he mulls over that last bike he owned - "Oh - thats been a long time ago." He never offered up a year or model - nothing... Long pregnant pause then to break the silence asks if my Burgman will keep up with traffic on the freeway. I told him yeah - as long as I'm peddling hard! I got on the Burgman and left at that point. My nephew called me later - said he was laughing his butt off as I pulled out and accelerated smartly down the road. His FIL remarked on how quick it seemed - for a scooter. I suppose he never saw that '650' on the side.

Stupid people. And we let them vote! Dang!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think in all honesty that a lot of people aren't being sarcastic when they ask, because it's a maxi scooter and not little scooter it's a bit confusing because it doesn't look like a conventional motorbike.
Agreed. Most people I encounter are just curious b/c it is so different. I don't mind really. I guess we just educate them one person at a time. I do enjoy sitting away the scoot at a diner or country store and watch people walk up to it.... Walk around it .... Look it over with hmmmm look on their face. Kinda fun to watch.

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Our riding group started out with BMWs and Harleys. We ride on very crooked mountain roads. A couple of years ago, one of the BMW riders bought a Burgman 650 to ride locally. After he rode it a while, he started riding it on our weekly ride of 150-300 miles. He said it was a fast on the crooked roads as his BMW. He tried to get us to try his from spring until I finally rode it in October. I rode it on a Wednesday and bought a 400 on Thursday. I generally lead the rides and I was told that I rode the 400 faster than I rode my BMW. The 400 was totaled when it was hit in the rear and I replaced it with a 650. Last fall, one of the Harley riders decided he wanted to keep up and bought a 650. This spring, another BMW rider had his bike catch on fire and he replaced it with a 650 (I found them all on Craigs List). We are all happy with the Burgmans. Four of us went to a BMW Rally three weeks ago and one of the BMW riders rode his 650 as did I. We stayed dryer in the rain and were less tired than the BMWs riders at the end of the day.

On our last day ride, the rider who has both a BMW and a 650 was following me through the mountains on his BMW and commented that he needed to ride his 650 so he could keep up with me. It's amazing how well a 650 will handle crooked mountain roads after you have ridden them 8,000 miles in the last 11 months after riding a 400 4,000 miles in the prior 4 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ride with a group which has 3-5 harleys, twice now I've given rides to a harley rider on the Burgman to fetch break-down parts... for the harley.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was visiting a business next door to a Harley repair shop last week.
One of the Mechanics was out front parking a customer bike in their pick up row, I was only a few meters away and he decides to jab at me.
"if you get a motorcycle I can work on it for ya!" big grin on his face.
I replied "If I see you working on one I will consider it"
I don't think he expected that......

·
Registered
133 Posts
Like Liamjs says, these stories never get old. I just reply that it is a maxi-scooter. I normally get the motorcycle wave from most riders, except of course from the HD riders where it drops down to maybe 20%-25%.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I normally ride at hwy. Speeds .On an Interstate we cruised past some 18 wheelers, while doing around 70MPH. as we had to pause at Intersection, one pulled along side, Wound down his window, and yelled "What type of machine is that" I responded. "It's a scooter" With a look of unbelief, he shouted,"You got to be Sh****** me , no scooter goes that fast" I just had that big Bergman grin on my face as we left.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
One of my favorite t-shirts for Burgmans had pictures of the bikes on the front and on the back was written...

"You just got passed by a guy on a scooter"

Love that one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts