Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
today I decided to take a chance. A pickup-truck was going slowly because he wanted to merge into the heavily-trafficked, slow-moving right lane. I had about 2, 2 1/2 feet between the left curb and his right side, so I went for it, around 30 m.p.h. A few moments later - I was at a red light, 2nd in line, on the left lane. Light turned green - the front car in each lane was going slowly, there was about four feet between them, so I gunned it and went between them, around 20 mph, and got into the right lane for the turn ahead.

It felt good.

Felt even better when I realized that no one honked (they were probably too stunned) and no one chased me down and tried to run me off the road. Plus, no cops :)

Tuesday on the way home from work, I was sort of playing tag with a sport biker. I could tell he wanted to split cars SOOOOOO badly, and there was plenty of room too, but he restrained himself. So did I :)

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Glad to hear you've "advanced", and are "making progress". Good for you.
:D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Wow what a difference; I don't even think twice about doing those maneuvers, let alone remember any I've done. Its my daily commute. But that's CA.

Just a big FYI for anyone considering filtering to the front at a stop light... Many drivers, if not most (at least in LA), use the stop light as an opportunity to pick up their phones and check messages or send one out. They don't even notice you're filtering nowadays. Lol. However the cops might.

Glad you made it AlaskaGuy!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Such a great feeling to lane filter here. The only time it is legal and permitted is at BC Ferry. On saturday i took a trip over to one of the islands near Vancouver. Bikes load first and disembark first. Was told to go all the way to front of row 67/68, so cool riding past a long line of cars and filtering past a few to get to the front. Totally accepted and no car driver rages at you. Is why i think if lane filtering was legal it would be more accepted here due to this.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Did it kind of on vacation last week in Glacier N.P. Rode the Going to the Sun road. At the top of Logan Pass the visitor center parking lot was full. Guard was only allowing motorcycles in so got the go ahead. :D

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I bought my first scoot when I was living in So CA. In the 90's. Lane splitting is legal there and it was no big deal. So I am used to it and always want to take a trip to the Peoples' Republic of CA :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
They'd run you over here in Texas. I don't know if it's legal or not but no one would let you get to the front of the line.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
They'd run you over here in Texas. I don't know if it's legal or not but no one would let you get to the front of the line.
People are that hostile in Texas? I keep having people inviting me to come to Texas (my brother mainly who lives in Mansfield) and then I hear things like this. I think I will just stay right here in Kentucky as here I won't have people run me over on purpose because the think I may have slighted them in some way or the other.

Doug

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People are that hostile in Texas? I keep having people inviting me to come to Texas (my brother mainly who lives in Mansfield) and then I hear things like this. I think I will just stay right here in Kentucky as here I won't have people run me over on purpose because the think I may have slighted them in some way or the other.
Interstates in Texas...if you're going less than 85, you had better be in the slow lane.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yes people drive crazy in Texas. It's like a NASCAR race people racing to get to the front of the line. It's the worst thing I've experienced since I got here. I've gone 75 in a 60 zone and been honked at, yelled at, had a water bottle thrown at me....it's bad down here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts