Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out why when I park my bike for long periods of time I heard the battery weak like if I had a battery drain.
Well come to find out that Suzuki is the first bike I have owned out of 8 that had a park feature. so one has to be careful when locking the bike not to go to the end.
Silly but I just missed this one and my stupidity for not looking at the ignition section of the manual more carefully.

I'm mentioning this because I don't think I'm alone in this no one had told me. Worst I assumed it was same as all other bikes.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
I just found out why when I park my bike for long periods of time I heard the battery weak like if I had a battery drain.
Well come to find out that Suzuki is the first bike I have owned out of 8 that had a park feature. so one has to be careful when locking the bike not to go to the end.
Silly but I just missed this one and my stupidity for not looking at the ignition section of the manual more carefully.

I'm mentioning this because I don't think I'm alone in this no one had told me. Worst I assumed it was same as all other bikes.
Its a matter of when you do it. I am sure most of us have done this. Even my 67 Honda 305 SuperHawk had a park position on the switch and it would kill the battery.

The best thing to get in habit is to shut off the bike and as you are walking away, just walk behind her/him and pat her/his rearend and look at the lights to see it they are lit up. :twisted:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I almost did it last week. I was lucky. As I walked away turned for a last look at the bike only to see the parking lights.

Geoff.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Many bikes have a parking light feature - turn the key the other way. Might be mandatory in Europe.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
4 way flashers work in park position

for those that don't know,
your 4 way flashers work in the key park position
So some time ago I got into the habit of turning on my 4 way flashers before locking the handle bars and walking away.
The 4 ways are very obvious when flashing.
So give it a try.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep learned it on my V Strom.
BTW, the easiest way to remeber I have found is always turn it on then off when leaving bike.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
for those that don't know,
your 4 way flashers work in the key park position
Not on the '03 and maybe the '04. My '03 does now after adding some lights and rewring.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Have buzzer install on mine for remember signal flasher is on, when park or store bike always leave flasher on, when turn key completely to park buzzer sound so know must come back one position.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
If you turn the key off then push it in as you turn it to the Lock position it won't go into the Park position.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your not the only one. Twice at church. Jumped by the same car both times.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
If only Suzuki had made it opposite, so you'd have to push it in to turn it to "Park"
Let me see, to lock the handlebars you have to push in the key to turn it and rather than holding it in as you turn which prevents you from turning on the parking lights your releasing it as you turn which turns the parking lights on. It seems to me Suzuki thought about it the way it works. Just how many interlocks/detents should Suzuki have? :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Let me see, to lock the handlebars you have to push in the key to turn it and rather than holding it in as you turn which prevents you from turning on the parking lights your releasing it as you turn which turns the parking lights on. It seems to me Suzuki thought about it the way it works. Just how many interlocks/detents should Suzuki have? :D
That then would make such a design similar to the MyRoad700i... which is not easy to use... until conditioning and muscle memory have sufficient time to develop

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
That then would make such a design similar to the MyRoad700i... which is not easy to use... until conditioning and muscle memory have sufficient time to develop
Looking at the graphics on the MyRoad ignition just makes your head spin, by comparison the 650 is simple as is the graphic on it. Stick the key in the middle, pushing in as you turn right pops the seat, turning right without pushing in turns on the ignition, pushing in while turning left locks the handlebars, and pushing the key in while turning left then letting to key spring back as you turn left puts it in park.

Curious how you like the MyRoad. I went down to a local dealer, looked at, and sat on. I like the style other than the scooter mirrors on the handlebars and the lack of turn lights in the front fairing in favor of them on the mirrors for US models.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Looking at the graphics on the MyRoad ignition just makes your head spin, by comparison the 650 is simple as is the graphic on it. Stick the key in the middle, pushing in as you turn right pops the seat, turning right without pushing in turns on the ignition, pushing in while turning left locks the handlebars, and pushing the key in while turning left then letting to key spring back as you turn left puts it in park.

Curious how you like the MyRoad. I went down to a local dealer, looked at, and sat on. I like the style other than the scooter mirrors on the handlebars and the lack of turn lights in the front fairing in favor of them on the mirrors for US models.
Well I do like some aspects of the Myroad to be honest. Would I consider one in NZ, well maybe no, but that simply is a reflection/consequence that I bought a AN650L4 while I was back home visiting family and friends in early March this year. The Myroad wasn't available in NZ at the time. I'd already been in touch with the NZ Kymco distributor mid-2013 asking after the Myroad, but received a reply that there was no plans to bring the Myroad in. Since then and upon my return to China from NZ I'm aware that the Myroad is being offered in NZ at a MSRP NZ$!4995 which compares to NZ$17995 for the Burgman. I'd still likely go for the Burgman though.

I didn't find the Myroad to be as cramped as some reviewers have indicated, but again this may not be evident in a short test ride as I did on the Myroad. I liked some elements of the Myroad but not others. The Air filter element in air box on the left side above the swing arm looks ungainly and akin to the traditional scooter design. I did like the built in hook, the more simple tranny, the headlight styling and the LED indicators in the tupperware, not on the mirrors as I recall. Not fussed on the handle bar mounted mirrors either way. Each design have pluses and minuses.

What is important for China is that the Myroad MSRP 108,000 CNY is substantially less than the Burgman 650 MSRP 158,000. That is a substantial difference. The Myroad I looked at and wrote about in the post here and elsewhere, was a one previous owner with 23000km on it. The simplicity of the final drive being a traditional belt and CVT with variator and roller weights is also an attraction for a country which is tradesmen poor (in other words there are none).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts