Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I seem to remember there are some import restrictions for the US for scooters. I'll look around and see if I can locate any info.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I did a bit of digging and wasn't able to find the exact federal code. The scooter manufacturers had to get an exemption to import scooters since they didn't meet federal motor safety standards requiring rear brakes to be right foot operated like the Honda Helix. If my memory serves me correctly, the manufacturer must apply for an exemption for each model and may have limits on the number they may import per year. There was a request to amend the standard and remove the import restrictions.

One other issue is the US is not the greatest market for scooters. With the creation of the maxi-scoots, sales are beginning to rise. But even having a 650 'scooter' isn't big enough for some people. How many requests have we seen here for a 1000cc scoot? :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bill,

Another example is the Honda Transalp - rumored to start to be imported to the US for quite some time. I suppose it has a lot to do with marketing. If so, the next few years should be interesting. If the trend continues as we think it will, there could be a major shift in market share from the chopper / cruiser styles to the twist and go comfort ride - not that one is any better than the other in the eyes of the two wheel fraternity. We are just slow to catch on compared to other countries. IMHO

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Is Everything this expensive in all over Europe?
I plugged the Euro cost of the Burg 400 into my currency converter.

€7589. = $9116.30 US!!

Yikes!

The 400 lists for $5700 here!

Makes me want to buy a shipload here and take them to Europe and sell them at the dock..........

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
yes! :cry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
You guys are lucky! Her is the list price for different burgers in Norway, and this is NOT a joke. Our taxes are sky high:

Burgman 125: 45 000 Norwegian kroner = 7 854.21 U.S. dollars

Burgman 400 K7: 90 000 Norwegian kroner = 15 708.42 U.S. dollars

Burman 650 Exec: 129 900 Norwegian kroner = 22 672.4862 U.S. dollars

I own a 2002 burgman 125, and i love it :) It was the only burger i could afford - almost :(

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hi thawulf, and welcome to the forum. Another Norwegian :)

The prices in Norway is way beyond insane.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bought a brandnew Burgman 125 cc K7 (produced in Spain by Suzuki) for just 3000 Euro recently in Holland. Seems after the introduction last year they stopped already the selling of this bike. Wasn't a big sale-succes! Only the 200 cc is still avaible. Original the price for the 125 cc was 3890,- euro and the 200 cc was 4390 euro. I'm happy I got one for a good price. Seems that de 200 cc version is only just a little bit faster and stronger but looks the same. I saved about 1400 euro for this. For using this bike in urban areas I have noting to complain about. While the baby-burger looks big it's easy to drive and easy to handle. Believe me or not but it's running 125 km/h at top speed. And that's made it the fastest 125 cc I ever had.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
That's around 75 MPH (for us that don't do metric easily). What kind of gas mileage you seeing on the 125?

·
Registered
9 Posts
billmeek said:
That's around 75 MPH (for us that don't do metric easily). What kind of gas mileage you seeing on the 125?
Only kilometers.

125 is what you read on the display. What is maybe 110/115 in real? What is still fast I believe. Before I drove the Honda SH150i. Compared with the Burgman it has the same topspeed and feels because of the lower seat even faster. Only the acceleration was faster with the Honda. The Burgman has no vibrations at all, while the Honda was much more noisy. Standard the Burgman comes with a jiffy, 12 volts connector in the dashboard and disc-brake at the rear. And there is a range of extra's to get for the Burgman 125. For the Honda there was only a windshield avaible. Not even a Jiffy. Only the sixteen" wheels of the Honda gave better drive-quality by high speed.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ooops ... guess I should have worded it differently. I was wondering what kilometers per liter of fuel you're getting on the 125 since we don't get the 125 or 200 here in the US.

·
Registered
9 Posts
billmeek said:
Ooops ... guess I should have worded it differently. I was wondering what kilometers per liter of fuel you're getting on the 125 since we don't get the 125 or 200 here in the US.
lol. I understand now. I did only 100 kilometer so far so I didn't find this out yet. Friends who drive the same burgman, told me about 30 kilometers for a liter.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Forwie said:
... about 30 kilometers for a liter.
Or in US terms, around 70 miles per gallon. I'd be interested in knowing your own results after a few tanks of fuel. I though the 125 might be getting 35 km/liter or above depending on the riding style.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I just love it when someone responds to a post that is over 4 years old especially when the original poster hasn't been on the board for over 3 years :lol:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Re:

Drew said:
Is Everything this expensive in all over Europe?
I plugged the Euro cost of the Burg 400 into my currency converter.

€7589. = $9116.30 US!!

Yikes!

The 400 lists for $5700 here!

Makes me want to buy a shipload here and take them to Europe and sell them at the dock..........
Ok, I'm going to chip in to this 4 year old thread too. :D It is not a question of other countries being more expensive - it is a case of everything in the US being so CHEAP. :shock:

Something that US based posters cannot appreciate, especially if they have not travelled outside of their own country, is just how good value they are getting and how relatively wealthy they are compared with the rest of the world. I know it is within all of our natures to grumble and complain that prices are higher than we would like, but really, it is worthwhile to put things in perspective.

Compared to my country, for example, in the US you earn more dollar for dollar doing the same work, pay half the taxes and still pay only two thirds of what we pay for a Burgie. In other countries I am sure it is an even tougher comparison. :) .... and don't get me started on fuel prices. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts