Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that's the reply my son got when talking about motorcycles with one of his co-works. The guy was out looking at REAL motorcycles but has a bad leg & he didn't like the seating position of anything he sat on.
Well today as I drove my wife's work truck down to get tires on it my son rode my 650 to his work.
My son said once he saw my scooter & sat on it he's sold. So my son's co-worker is going back to the dealership & check out the new left over 2011 or 2012 650 Burgmans they still have.
Looks like we might have another Burgman owner from the desert here in the near future. :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ha, isn't it amazing how scooters get scoffs until someone actually tries them! They're the best kept secret that no one wants to know. I tell those who try my bikes, the ride is free, but it will cost you (when they want to buy one afterwards). Lol.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That show how ignorant and not knowledgeable many motorcyclist, other scooterist and general public can be about these fantastic machine that Burgman are.

That why I take every opportunity to demonstrate the 650 capability ! :) :D

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree with all what was said. It seems like the word "Scooter" is the problem. Sometimes using the word "Automatic motorcycle" changes their direction of thoughts immediately. Everybody wants to be cool and ride a motorcycle, but...nobody wants to be cool and ride a scooter!

It's only in America where this beautiful machine is considered so uncool yet adored by every other country in the world. It just goes to show that the Harley-Davidson has as much power as the NRA! Lol

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Part of the problem with the word "scooter" is that people have the small Vespa's in mind when they hear the word. I'm a pretty big guy (okay, not all that pretty:)) and when I told people that I was looking at buying a scooter they all had this image of a large man on a very small scooter. They were more impressed when they saw what I actually bought: a Burgman 650.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yeah!! and people think Scooter As SLOW as Well, Even tho you can upgrade them to be faster!!!! What people don't Know!!!

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I suspect he's over the 400 pound load limit...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Thats to Heavy Chip, You can expect Belt and Transmission Failure with that kind of Weight..

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Part of the problem with the word "scooter" is that people have the small Vespa's in mind when they hear the word.
Agree & that's what my sons co-worker thought of until he say my 650. Unless some one knows about a Burgman they will never know it's a scooter unless you tell them. I've done that & most replies I get is your kidding....right!
My reply is it's a scooter on steroids or it's a scooter with a attitude. :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Thats to Heavy Chip, You can expect Belt and Transmission Failure with that kind of Weight..
He is a bit over the weight limit. But that being said, when I bought my Honda Elite 50, I stopped going up a steep hill and took off to see how it would go... WOW... took off like no tomorrow.. I'm not as big as this guy but still.. That little Honda had some torque.....

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had to endure a conversation the other day with a kid that called it a mo-ped (grit my teeth, I did).

Someone else stopped in a parking lot and asked what it was. I told him "It's a Suzuki". He seemed satisfied with that answer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Its funny here on the gold coast Australia I have yet to find a bike rider who dose not know what a burgman 650 is . Most hold it in great regard (but would you own one I ask ,most answer no ).As for the non bike rider they all say " nice bike what is it ".I then tell them its a maxi scooter, its a 650 and it will do over 160 kph and that's two up with gear .Everyone comes of impressed ,would you own one I ask most say NO they want a Harley to that I say your loss see ya have a nice day

·
Registered
709 Posts
The biker crowd is nothing more than a bunch of humans who can't think for themselves, they want a Harley-Davidson because they think that it will make them fit in with a certain crowd, they are puppets on the string, they are insecure people who cannot think for themselves, they are afraid to be different and standup to society.

I never let anybody laugh or take the piss out of me without me leaving them an EGO buster one liner as I climb on..."Nice Pleathers" is a line I use!!!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think that's a bit over the top , Chappy.
I prefer to think they just don't know better. Which of course is a Burgman. Better gas mileage, more comfort, less break downs, more dependable, more luggage ..... the list goes on. But then, it's just a scooter.
Some people will never get over that.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
At the very core, I think we ALL ride because it's pleasurable. To the question of why we ride WHAT we ride, answers are as diverse as there are models of two-wheel motorized vehicles. I think it is safe to say that we Burgman riders do not ride to impress others or to fill a hole in our egos. Chappy, I like your line from another thread, "These bikes were built for Confident men!!"

Beyond this, it's a free country - so whatever floats your boat . . . (you poor, ignorant Harley bastards ;) )

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting that I can't find any newer used 650's Exc for my son's co-worker on craiglist here in So. Cal. If I do they are way over priced.!
As far as ignorant Harley folks the ones I know sure don't treat me or my Burgman that way. The shop I use to r&r my tires is a Harley shop. I even had a Harley rider pull into a parking lot where I was at & ask me about my Burgman. He figured it would be perfect for his wife to ride. Guess I just know a better group of motorcycle riders them most. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
The biker crowd is nothing more than a bunch of humans who can't think for themselves, they want a Harley-Davidson because they think that it will make them fit in with a certain crowd, they are puppets on the string, they are insecure people who cannot think for themselves, they are afraid to be different and standup to society.

I never let anybody laugh or take the piss out of me without me leaving them an EGO buster one liner as I climb on..."Nice Pleathers" is a line I use!!!!!
I beg to differ with you. I rode a K7 400 for 2 years before riding a K9 650 for 2 more years while my wife rode her K7 400. Then we sold her 400 and I bought a Harley Fatboy. Gotta say the Fatboy is a blast to ride, but I still enjoy riding the 650 when my wife is at work. To me, anything on 2 wheels is great fun. Just sayin!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

Elliott,
You know, it is not necessarily so much weight to cause failure of the belt and transmission. I rode my Honda Helix for several years back when I weighed over 330 pounds (I am under 240 now) and the poor little scooter kept on chugging on. The belt and variator were still in good shape when I traded it last spring on my Burgman.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.