Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to hang my helmet on the Burgy and dropped it less than a foot. There is a very small hole on the surface but it's not cracked. Should it be replaced?

·
Registered
185 Posts
My opinion is yes, replace it.
When you have a hole in it, you have lost the integrity of the structure. When you may actually need that helmet integrity, it may break way beyond what it would normally resulting in injury.

Was this an older helmet? I am surprised it would be damaged like that from that small drop.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
When you say hole, do you mean a slight ding in the surface or something you can see through. If the latter, after only a 12 inch fall, I'd seriously consider getting a helmet of sterner stuff. If just a little ding then I probably wouldn't give it much concern.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What Vintner said.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I would replace it

It doesn't mean there is no crack just because you can't see it.

Plus: Anybody who has ever studied materials technology will tell you about something called "crack propogation". Smooth surfaces are very strong, a crack needs a sharp point to travel through a material - what you have is lots of microscopic sharp points.

As an example, you can draw out a glass filament and it will be incredibly strong, touch it with your finger and the surface is no longer perfect and you can easily snap it.
Same thing for cutting sheet glass, a perfect sheet is hard to break with just finger pressure - if you lightly scratch it, it breaks easily.

This is also how you stop a crack in aircraft wings etc. You drill a hole at the tip and the crack hasn't got a sharp point any more (why port holes are round and fibres in fibreglass etc etc)

Helmets also stand up to bumps better when there is something in them. They can flex when empty and styrene doesn't like being flexed.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have a friend who seems to drop his helmet every time we ride together. I have seen his helmet hit on concrete and bounce without damage. I just can't imagine dropping a helmet only 12 inches and getting a hole in it (even a pinhole). I suspect that the hole in your helmet may have been there before you dropped the helmet.

In any event, the surface integrity of that helmet is compromised. If it was my helmet and my head I would replace that helmet. Sorry...

Doug

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Even a pin hole means that the shell has been compromised. Unless it landed on a sharp point that brand of helmet is crap. I have dropped my helmet a time or two from the same height and it didn't even scratch the paint.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
When I got hit by a someone who ran red light the insurance investigator asked if my head hit the pavement. When I said yes she said you need a new helmet. I looked my helmet over and it had a tiny scratch no more than a quarter inch that I couldn't say if it happened in the wreck or just rubbed against something in my top box. She said even if it was in my top box and not on my head if it got scratched from the wreck it was covered and never use a helmet if you see any flaws on it.
I have to say in Florida we don't have to where helmets but I always do.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think it is Arai that offers a free inspection service for their helmets. The no-see-um issue is the expanded polystyrene (usual material) internal liner. It can be permanently compressed by a single impact that leaves no hint of damage on the outside. Once it gets compressed it will not distribute crash forces over your head as well in the next impact in that area. Same reason for helmets going bad due to age, degradation of that liner.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Helmets should not "bounce" when you drop them....
Yup, you are right. His helmets actually go thud and promptly roll under the nearest car or truck.

Doug

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was trying to hang my helmet on the Burgy and dropped it less than a foot. There is a very small hole on the surface but it's not cracked. Should it be replaced?
friend, throw out the helmet , it is good that you dropped it , now you know that it is not reliable . not to save on health ;)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You dropped it less than a foot and it has a hole in it?

Not only should you replace it, you should tell the rest of us what brand it is so that we never, ever buy that brand!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
^ I agree what AlaskaGuy said.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts