Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Burgman 650. Well, maybe I should say ordered -- I don't pick it up until Saturday. After spending time researching all the various forms of 2-wheeled motorized transportation, I kept coming back to the maxiscooters: the Honda Silverwing and the two Burgmans. (Or is it "Burgmen"? And I absolutely HATE that the term "scooter".) I decided that the Burgman 650 was technologically the best vehicle. You wanna see my excel spreadsheet? Hey, my screen name is "Analytical". But, how would it ride?

So, tonight I took a test ride. It was wonderful. I loved how the bike handled, so purchasing it was a no-brainer. (Is that what happens when the left brain and right brain agree?)

Actually, I'm getting a 2003 (yes, 2003) left-over. I'm buying it from a family-owned shop that I've been familiar with for >30 years. They do quite a lot of business, but never went to computers. Sometimes funny things happen because of that -- like a box gets sort of lost, sitting in a dark corner of the warehouse. That's what happened with this 2003. I don't discuss prices (because somebody always says "You could have gotten it cheaper at..."), but I think I'm getting a good deal. And that's what matters, right? :lol:

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Congratulations on your new Burgman! I'm sure you be very happy with it.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
How it feels when you ride it is vastly more important than what your spreadsheet says! Glad it passed the "ride" test for you.

A few years ago, a dealer had a 2 year old Honda Pacific Coast and a 2 year old Kawasaki Concours sitting side by side in the showroom. Similarly priced, both low mileage, and both in immaculate condition.

I spent about 6 weeks doing internet research and my own analysis. (There was still snow on the ground, so I couldn't ride them.) I thoroughly convinced myself that the Pacific Coast was the right choice for me.

The snow finally melted, so I bundled up and went to the dealership. I took both machines for a 30 minute ride. I rode the Pacific Coast first. It was about as exciting as a spreadsheet. :? I then rode the Kawi Concours and came back with a big grin on my face. :p I bought the Concours that day - in total disregard to my prior analysis. It just felt right. I had her for 6 years and 60,000 miles. I never regretted that decision.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Welcome to the "Club". I hit 550 miles on my 650 today. I am looking forward to my commute to work. I take the long way home. Everyone asks what I am grinning about. This forum is the best place for info, as well as one heck of a community.
Ride Safe,

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Analytical said:
I just bought a Burgman 650. Well, maybe I should say ordered -- I don't pick it up until Saturday. After spending time researching all the various forms of 2-wheeled motorized transportation, I kept coming back to the maxiscooters: the Honda Silverwing and the two Burgmans. (Or is it "Burgmen"? And I absolutely HATE that the term "scooter".) I decided that the Burgman 650 was technologically the best vehicle. You wanna see my excel spreadsheet? Hey, my screen name is "Analytical". But, how would it ride?

[snipped]
Congrats on making a decision - it can be overwhelming with so much choice. I am sure you will be very pleased with it. The very worst time you will have is the next few days waiting to pick it up! :wink:

Being a sad old git - YES I would be interested to see your spreadsheet!

Not a bad choice of name for forum use - just hope folks do not shorten it!! :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congrats, Analytical! I'll bet you got a good deal (and don't mind NormanB...he is, as he says, a sad old git :wink: --kidding, Norman! :D ).

If you're ever up in Bucks County or want to do a regional ride once you get your feet wet, just give a holler.

Cheers,

Bryna

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new 650. So what left over colour did they have for you.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Invincsum said:
Congrats, Analytical! I'll bet you got a good deal (and don't mind NormanB...he is, as he says, a sad old git :wink: --kidding, Norman! :D ).

[snipped]wet, just give a holler.

Cheers,

Bryna
Got me sussed then Bryna!
:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Allwalk asked "So what left over colour did they have for you?" Dark blue.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Norman said: Got me sussed then Bryna!

Guess so...but only in the best possible way. :D No worries, mate!

Bryna

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Congratulations on your new Burgman! I picked mine up last Tuesday. It's a great scooter. I also have a Vespa ET4 (150cc). What a difference 500cc makes :eek:

If you live in South East Florida or visit on the Burgman check out our riders group at :
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sou ... aScooters/

We're new and trying to put together some group rides. Have fun and be safe. Did you take the MSF course yet :?: If not, find one in your area and sign up for some great riding advice and training.

Janine

·
Registered
103 Posts
the term scooter

I love the term "scooter " when referring to my ride! It's so understated.

It also gives you an extra wide grin when you've totally blown off a "real motorcycle". :twisted:

Al

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Re: the term scooter

Al Davison said:
It also gives you an extra wide grin when you've totally blown off a "real motorcycle". :twisted:

Al
I love it when the sportbike riders only see the front end of my 650 and wave back. Then as they go past and do a " What the ........." double-take.
It's worth the price of admission. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: the term scooter

DonRich90 said:
I love it when the sportbike riders only see the front end of my 650 and wave back. Then as they go past and do a " What the ........." double-take.
It's worth the price of admission. :D
I like stopping at Tim Hortons ( donut and coffee shop place) and answering questions for a half an hour or so ... from 'real' bike owners!

The looks of envy are well worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sails, DonRich and Al: Yup, been there! :D

I love when bike guys come over for a look. And since I've posted a pic of me and Sushi on a women's forum I belong to, I've gotten several compliments on Sushi as a "big, beautiful" bike!
Bryna

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Analytical said:
I just bought a Burgman 650. Well, maybe I should say ordered -- I don't pick it up until Saturday. ...I'm getting a 2003 (yes, 2003) left-over.
That's what I got, although mine is silver. It's a 2003, but it's "new" since it only had 1 mile on the odometer when I picked it up.

I found out that I did pay more than some others who did more dickering and shopping around, but I've also learned that I'm getting better service at lower prices than many. I bought at a store that I've bought at before, and I give more weight to a good relationship than to a few dollars one way or the other.

I think that by Saturday night your facial muscles are going to be sore from grinning so hard as you ride.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. :hello2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just bought a Burgman 650. Well, maybe I should say ordered -- I don't pick it up until Saturday.
Congrats and Welcome. The feeling of satisfaction when riding this fine machine just never ends. Well, maybe it would if one could get hold of a G-Stryder 8)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Analytical said:
I just bought a Burgman 650. Well, maybe I should say ordered -- I don't pick it up until Saturday. :
Well whats up too busy 'ridin and smilin', to write the first report. :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NormanB said:
Well whats up too busy 'ridin and smilin', to write the first report. :wink:
Ok. Quick first report. Picked it up Sat. morning. Daughter's car blew up (electrical problems) while I was bringing Burgman home. Spent most of Saturday fighting with daughter's car, while Burgman sat in other bay of the garage calling to me. :cry: Got to take a quick spin in the afternoon.

Took it out Sunday and had a great ride. :lol: Also, it was a bit cooler on Sunday, which made it nicer. (On Saturday, it was 90+ degrees, with 90+% humidity -- yuck.)

Left it in the garage and drove the car to work today because they're predicting HEAVY rain this afternoon -- remnants of some hurricane that hit the southeast U.S. over the weekend.

Will post more later (but I'm not a big forum poster).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good luck

Once you bought it, the price is not an issue any more. Just ride then you find that you got what you wanted.
As me and my brother say:" I had to buy it because it was a matter of health ! and we never save money on health.
So have many hours of joy from every $ you paid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts