Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding bikes off and on since I was 15 (40 years!!). For the last few years it's been off and, unfortunately, I let my motorcycle licence lapse. Here in Ontario we have graduated licensing, and now I had to start all over again. As I already took the MSF cource at a local community college about 8 years ago, I decided I would just take the test and be on my way. SOOO... Friday morning I take my Burgman 650 to the MTO to take my test. For the life of me I couldn't do the low speed cone weave :oops: On a smaller bike I would have just feathered the clutch, stood up and gone through like nothing but on the Burgie I couldn't find a speed where I could go slow enough to make the 4.5 Meter spacing and not lose my balance. I was so embarrased/pissed off/frustrated that I brought the bike home and haven't ridden it since. Now I am unsure just what to do. I have no trouble whatsoever riding the Burgie, and I really don't think this part of the test has any bearing on one's ability to ride but it's the first part of the testy and you can't even go on if you don't get it. Short of buying a 50cc scooter just to take the test I don't know what else to do. I'd hate to have to sell the Burger and call this one more thing I'm too old to do. Sometimes life really sucks! (and it's raining again :x )

·
Registered
308 Posts
Will dispatch Burgman coach to your location within the hour.

Seriously, dont get ruffled. The cone weave might be better done in manual with a short shift to a higher gear lugging it a bit.

You will pass that test ! Allwalk - FIX THIS - get one of the corps over there to coach our member.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't you dare give up trying the test! From what I've read you can drag the brake on a Burgman and still twist the throttle to get it slow enough to weave the pillions.

:twisted: If you do give up, let me know... I'd love to buy your bike for my family.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Harold don't you dare give up. How much did you practice before the test? You werent ready for slow speed handling on the Burg yet. Don't forget I'm just a shout up the highway and if you need help practicing I can ride down and assist you.....rain or shine!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Bytes U said:
:twisted: If you do give up, let me know... I'd love to buy your bike for my family.
OH MY GAWD..............HOW INCREDIBLY.......Psychological..machiavelian,,,,welltanschaum.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Buy the cones from your local Sports Shop and practice! It's just a matter of getting used to -- get together with allwalk too -- Good Luck!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Harold:

Either practice dragging the rear brake or borrow a friends small motorcycle with a clutch and take the test on it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Don't give up!

You can do it, Harold! You can't have been riding as long as you have without maintaining good basic skills. Scour off that wee bit of rust and make us all proud! :D

Bryna

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just as an update I took the test again yesterday and passed!! :lol: This is even after the tester widened out the cones to 1.5 meters between them laterally from the 0.5 meter they were last time. The secret was dragging the back brake while keeping on the throttle at all times It could also have been due to the many hours of practice I did in the local school parking lot. Anyway, thenks to all who gave suggestions/encouragement. Now, lets get a southern Ontario ride together so we can all meet face to face.

·
Registered
6 Posts
friction control

for the berggy brake + throttle=friction control 8) passed @100% here is tn. :oops:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts