Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been wanting a new scoot for a while now. My little Lance Powersport 125cc Cali Classic struggles to get me to 45 at times and I feel as traffic is going to swallow me up commuting to Indianapolis area.

I see if I wait it out I can get a 2012 for the price of a new 300 GTV. I know the Vespa is more agile and would probably fit me better with a GTS seat at 6'7 275lbs. I really enjoy both bikes and I will be testing them both out before I purchase.

The Suzuki has more storage and I do like the seats more then the Vespa. The Suzuki has more engine but less chrome. I like the 400 but if I am going to pay that much cash why not get more engine? The GTS is a stripped GTV so I will mainly be after color.

What I need the bike to do? I just want to be able to visit my family from the Indianapolis area to Illinois right on the boarder right off of 74 or I can take 136 there. The other will be my wifes side on the Indiana Ohio Boarder. So a 115 mi trip either way. Also I work downtown Indianapolis it is a 15 mi commute. The Vespa would probably do this part way better but. I do not weave in and out of traffic I have worked downtown Indianapolis for 20 years I have seen it all.

I guess what sold you all on the Suzuki Burgman over other maxi scooters? I think either the Vespa's or the 400 would serve my needs. Do you feel safe on a major highway, interstate on the 650? Would you do a constant 75 on the High way for about 100 miles? Also, I read here someone was able to buy a 2012 650 for 6500 here in Indy. When are the best time for sales with Suzuki. I really like that dark blue color that Suzuki had out years ago. I lean toward Dark Blue, Green, Black, and then white. All the dealers want me to sell my bike else where bummer they wont give me a little credit for it. Anyways, any advice would be very greatful and if there is any Indianapolis riders here please contact me and fill me in on any need to know info on buying a Burgman.

Thank you all for any advice and may the Schwartz be with you!

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
The Burgman 400 will do everything you need it to do.
It has a longer wheelbase than the Vespas, so will be
less 'twitchy' at highway speeds on the freeway. It also
has more underseat storage. Changing the buttstop into
a backrest will give you more legroom to stretch out
long legs. You can cruise the highways all day long,
without feeling like a bug about to get squashed.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Riding highways comfortably requires more than just engine size. You may have enough to propel you down the road at 75, but you need other assets to do it confidently.

Specifically you need a longer wheel base, larger tires, aerodynamics and a fair amount of weight to keep you planted, especially in high winds. Fortunately the Burgmans have these in spades. I've no problems riding either of them 350+ miles in a day at speeds 80 mph+.

The king of the highway of the bikes mentioned, is the 650. But you give up a bit of downtown ridability and maneuverability. The 400 is the best all around bike for my money. But if you're a bigger gentleman, then he 650 is the way to go. Both offer about the same riding position. Really tall riders like the BMW GT650, loads of legroom there. But expensive, maintenance prone and not many used models available.

Also, bigger bikes are more economical. The repair and replacement times of tires, belts, oil, etc. far exceed those of smaller-engined machines. A good burgman 400 tire will last 10k miles, but a smaller Vespa tire will last half as long, for instance. Smaller diameter means its spinning faster at any given rate of speed and thus gets more wear.

I'd buy used. But if color is a big factor, the Burgmans are sadly unrepresented. White, black and grey are the primary offerings. There is the occasional blue, red, or even gold, but they are very hard to find.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 300 GTS and a 650 Burgman both 2013 models. I love both. When I go ride with my Los Angeles or VSO group I take the Burgman as they are about one hour freeway ride to the meeting point. My closer groups the Vespa. Can the Vespa do the hour drive? Absolutely can with ease. Yet not nearly with the comfort, passing power or peace of mind as the Burgman. You being 6'7" tall I would think the Burgman is without a doubt the bike for you. The Vespa is already top heavy with no rider. Get a 650 and you'll be happy with a great all around scoot. I have never rode a 400 so I cannot comment on it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Having owned a GTS 250, 400 and 650, let me mirror some of the above answers. With your wt and ht, get the 650. The GTS will do a freeway speed, but you have nothing in reserve. 400 is much better and adequate all-rounder. 650 has the poop you need and then some. It is also comfortable at any speed with much better wind management. Even better with an aftermarket windshield. Forget the GTS and ride both the 400 and 650. You will know, then. Good riding to you and enjoy the hunt.
Jim

·
Registered
420 Posts
6'7" @ 275lbs. really... is there any debate?
Being a big guy myself I would say definitely the 650. At your size and with a little skill you'll flick a 650 through any city street, mountain pass, highway etc. with no effort.

My brother rides a 400 and it's a great bike, but it's just too small.... for me anyway.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Burgman, a 400 and two 650's. The 400 was the bike I had in the middle as I am back on a 650 again. The 400 is an incredible bike and can do it all with economy, great gas mileage, high touring speed on the interstate and capable for two up riding too. It's also a perfect urban commuter being very flickable in traffic.

For me though, I'm a big guy too and I like a heavier bike with a little more engine. On the 400, we would be under full power frequently riding two up while the 650 has plenty of reserve. After my two earlier Burgman's I bought a Goldwing and am now back on a 650. Having come from a GW, the 650 feels small and flickable in traffic like my 400 did. I'm loving the 650 again and enjoy how peppy it is in passing and overtaking vehicles. The 650 also has engine braking that the Vespa and 400 do not have. Takes a little getting used to though. Oh, and I love having ABS brakes on my Executive too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Having put more than 150000miles on Vespas, Lambrettas, and Cushmans over the last 55 years as well as owning both the 400 and 650 Burgmans, my choice would definately be the Burgman 650. Why, you ask, is that the 650 is the best handling and safest bike on the road. The longer wheelbase is very important for higher speed touring. The 650 handles very easy in town.

I checked out the new BMWs and quickly dismissed them as being too maintenance prone for scooters. The BMW scooter requires belt and chain replacements which are by no means cheap!

Respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are 2 dealers here in the Kansas City area that still have the 2012 650's and both are Grey in color. One dealer quoted me $7,500 out the door and the other $7,250

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the information. I think I am going to see if the 2013 will get as low in price as some of the 2012 models.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As far as engine brake you are correct on the '13 there is little to none. It is my first Burgman so I have never felt the engine brake on the earlier models. I am very very happy with my 13. I am 5'8" 200 and do quite well in traffic with it plus a steady 85 on the highway is EASY with some throttle left over. I heard...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
It unfortunate that engine braking been reduce now on 2013-14, it one of it great feature, engine braking is problem for some because they never learn to use throttle by micro adjusting it, they use throttle like on regular motorcycle.

This gentleman is 6 ' 7'', that quite a large sail in wind, plus without passenger 275lbs it take more horsepower than most burgman rider, for OP to maintain 80-85 constant on highway he be much better serve with 650 than 400, especially if he carry passenger.

In the city at 6' 7'' plus 275lb I do not think OP will have any problem handling the 650. :) :thumbup: :lol: .

No room for compromise with gentlemen this size, he would be disappointed with the 400 Burgie.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Part of my decision was where my local dealers are, their reputation and my own experiences with some. I don't expect to spend a lot of time at my dealer but it is still a factor for warranty or major repairs. Piaggio's brand representation is weak in my area and seemingly poor in America as a whole.

Meanwhile Suzuki America took good care of some potentially controversial warranty work for two people I know.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Part of my decision was where my local dealers are, their reputation and my own experiences with some. I don't expect to spend a lot of time at my dealer but it is still a factor for warranty or major repairs. Piaggio's brand representation is weak in my area and seemingly poor in America as a whole.

Exact same situation here, very very few Piaggio product dealer and it seem they give back franchise in 1-2 year or close door, so eternal start over for actual or new customer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a local dealer about 10 miles away. Problem is they overprice their bikes any bike. I asked about the 2000 dollar or 0% apr for 60 months. They were trying to sell me a 2013 with the 2000 dollar deal at 10,399 out the door. I understand crating and etc. but the bike is 10999 before the 2000 off.

When I have checked just cycle trader and other dealers are not charge the other dealer charges. Just a little farther away but would be a nice break in drive on the way home. I am seeing 2012 models with less then 2k miles going for 6299-7799. I am hoping when I go buy the 2013 Glass Sparkle Black model will be around this price in June or July.

I also ride in winter 40+ degree weather in Indiana. I ride my 125 cc Cali Classic with snow as long as the roads are clear and the weather is atleast 40+. I just love to ride and can not wait to bring one home.

Does anyone know when Suzuki does there clearance prices? The dealer Dreyer Honda and Suzuki told me they were selling 2012 models with no miles really for 6500 + fee's and taxes probably 7500 out the door in October. Do you all think the 2013 will get down to this price. I know I will miss the riding season but... I want to buy it out in cash no financing at all. I have to atleast finance 5k to possibly do it but then insurance prices are higher.

I appreciate everyone's answer and I will have one before the year is up. I just hope during riding season.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I have a local dealer about 10 miles away. Problem is they overprice their bikes any bike. I asked about the 2000 dollar or 0% apr for 60 months. They were trying to sell me a 2013 with the 2000 dollar deal at 10,399 out the door. I understand crating and etc. but the bike is 10999 before the 2000 off.

When I have checked just cycle trader and other dealers are not charge the other dealer charges. Just a little farther away but would be a nice break in drive on the way home. I am seeing 2012 models with less then 2k miles going for 6299-7799. I am hoping when I go buy the 2013 Glass Sparkle Black model will be around this price in June or July.

I also ride in winter 40+ degree weather in Indiana. I ride my 125 cc Cali Classic with snow as long as the roads are clear and the weather is atleast 40+. I just love to ride and can not wait to bring one home.

Does anyone know when Suzuki does there clearance prices? The dealer Dreyer Honda and Suzuki told me they were selling 2012 models with no miles really for 6500 + fee's and taxes probably 7500 out the door in October. Do you all think the 2013 will get down to this price. I know I will miss the riding season but... I want to buy it out in cash no financing at all. I have to atleast finance 5k to possibly do it but then insurance prices are higher.

I appreciate everyone's answer and I will have one before the year is up. I just hope during riding season.
Unfortunately your public profile not complete, therefore we not even know where you located to enable some member to help you further with other dealer good deal or local use 650 deal in area.

Normally at this time you should be able pick up left over new 2012 for $7250 to $7500 or 2013 in $9500 area approx. perhap better, if your local dealer not want to start dealing then start shopping other dealer in general area but tell your local dealer you will do so (show him the money).

Some dealer much more hungry then other in same 100-200 mile area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Updated my Profile : Seems a place in Dayton Ohio and Lexington, Kentucky have better prices. If I buy a Suzuki bike can I still have it serviced at my Indianapolis location without any problems? I have never bought anything Suzuki before.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Updated my Profile : Seems a place in Dayton Ohio and Lexington, Kentucky have better prices. If I buy a Suzuki bike can I still have it serviced at my Indianapolis location without any problems? I have never bought anything Suzuki before.

Local dealer can not deny you warranty and service, Suzuki would be up his ??? in no time if it so, not familiar with your law but here also illegal for dealer to do so.

If you regular frequent member here you will learn to do normal maintenance yourself in no time, so easy on Burgman and so inexpensive to do yourself and many many member will be happy to guide you and help.

Have you check Burgman classified add section here ? Some have had great deal from other member here

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It unfortunate that engine braking been reduce now on 2013-14, it one of it great feature, engine braking is problem for some because they never learn to use throttle by micro adjusting it, they use throttle like on regular motorcycle.
I agree. I ride in the mountains and the engine braking is the favorite thing I like about mine. On steep downgrades, using the power button makes the braking work especially well. You just control the throttle like it is a rheostat. Turn it one way to speed up and the other to slow down.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts