Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got off early on Friday after a long week and go home to get on the Burgy for a late afternoon ride. Stone cold sober and in a good frame of mind I leave the house and head out. Approaching a residential intersection only a couple of blocks from my house I see a man and his son in the front yard with a fishing pole. I see them look at me so I know they know I coming. As I get in front of their house, for a second I see the fishing line going across the street in front of me, but I loose site of it. Three houses past the man and his son I see the fishing line coming up the windshiled. I know if it comes over the top of the windshield the line is going to wrap around my neck and the consequences would not be pleasant. I grabbed both brakes and squeesed as hard as I could. The Burgman came skidding to a quick stop. As it came to a stop the front wheel twisted left and me and the Burgy went over. Fortunately neither me nor the Burgy suffered any great damage. The upper left front bodywork was scraped on the side edge, lower left panel was scraped, left turn signal lense and housing were scraped. My left foot got caught under the bike as it was going down and I hyper exntened my toes which turned black and blue. Got a small scrape on my left elbow. The man was concerned and apologetic and I called the police. Because there was no other vehicle involved there was nothing the police could or would do to the man. The officer wrote a no fault accident report. Bear in mind that hazards can take many forms as we ride and just because people acknowledge your presence doesn't mean they will act rationally and/or intelligenty. One more thing. The hook and sinker were laying underneath me when I got up off the road.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Peter,

Sorry to hear about the spill. I am very glad neither you nor the Burgy suffered any great damage. More so that you are ok.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Glad to hear your spill was only a minor one to your health. It still amazes me how stupid some people can be. Casting a line into a street :shock:

·
Registered
761 Posts
First, glad to hear you are not serioiusly injured.
Second, hope your injuries and bike damages heal fast.
Third, the officer is an idiot. There was plenty of evidence to fine or arrest the man. If he had thrown a rock or any other object into the road causing an accident, he would have been arrested on the spot. This is no difference. His actions caused you to have an accident. Granted you may not have wanted to see him hauled off to jail in front of his kid, but I think there was more than enough evidence for more than a no-fault accident. :x

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I believe you can still sue for damages in small claims court.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Peter, glad you and the Burgie are OK and won't wind up on that guy's den wall! :shock:

Hope you feel better soon,
Bryna

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Glad to hear you were not hurt to bad, that is one set of crazy circumstances . Sounds like you did the right thing, trying to dodge that string could have been worse.
I once had a boat hit me on the express way -but that's a story for another time. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Randy said:
I once had a boat hit me on the express way -but that's a story for another time. :)
Oooohhh...waiting until it's time for that story. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all ther replties. The fact that he was on his front lawn and not in the street and no motor vehicle was involved on his part makes it a civil matter not a criminal matter. Being stupid in not a crime. Burgy and I are just fine. Went 300 miles through the national forest north of Houston on Saturday so all is well. Ride safe. Hope we can all get together for a big Burgman rally some day.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Peter I am horrified at your story but glad you are OK.

You sound like a real calm and rational person. I fear if that happened to me that guy would not be able to bend over or find his fishing rod! :shock:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: blue marlin

eyes5002 said:
norman,did you mean he'd have to bend over to find his fishing pole??? he would have if it would have been me... :lol

...........well....... he might be able to see an eensy wenny piece of it :wink:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Being stupid isn't a crime, but causing injury or damages to a person or their belongings is. Since he was on his front lawn, his homeowners insurance covers it. He needs to pay you for damages. You might nicely talk to him and mention the cost of the damages. Mention the injuries that were caused to you, and then offer to forget about the injuries if he'll pay restoration fees to repair the scooter. If he doesn't agree - then pick up the yellow pages.

Do it today.

I had an idiot open a car door into my freshly custom painted car so hard that the edge of their door made a hole in my door. They tried to flee the scene, but I blocked them in. I explained that I had just repainted it, and could bondo and repaint it for about $50 (I had free use of a paint booth and had some paint left over). I offered to drop it for $50 (very reasonable). The police wouldn't file a report and I had to let them leave. I contacted a lawyer and from a no-cost-to-me lawyer got about $600 to get a bodyshop to redo the door for me. The lawyer got several thousand dollars worth of fees out of her. What can I say - I tried to be nice and reasonable...
Don't leave it up to your insurance - because they'll make it back from you in higher rates. Heck - they'll tack a little bit onto everyone else's rates while their at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
you need to file a claim against his homeowners liability for the repairs to your bike and for your medical bills. it is not an "auto" claim but his homeowners will pay for the actions of a minor. that's if they have it, but it's worth a phone call.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts