Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried a new mix for the water bottle that my bicycle riding buddy swears by.

I get a bit groggy mind afternoon but hate to over do the coffee.

This stuff tastes good, rehydrates and you get your caffiene fix.
Really worked today for me - even driving into the sun which normally puts me to sleep this kept me awake despite being sleep short last night. Several flavours

Starbucks VIA Refreshers™ Very Berry Hibiscus combines tangy blackberry with hints of hibiscus, sweet ginger and lemongrass, and pairs that with the natural energy from green coffee extract, from unroasted coffee beans. It's a breakthrough in instant refreshment that tastes nothing like coffee. Light, juicy and thirst-quenching, with a natural boost of caffeine. Enjoy Starbucks VIA Refreshers™ wherever the moment takes you.
get your caffeine fix on the fly

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Isn't it so that the caffeine negates the fluid you drink it with?

Meaning drinking one cup of coffee or tea will make you pee more than one cup, leaving your body with less water than before.

Just asking, but then again, drinking cola is always good if you have a hangover and feel dry as a bone.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a myth - fluid is fluid.
Cola sucks sitting in the glove box getting flat and warm.
This still tastes refreshing.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's actually not a myth. Caffeine is a diuretic, which means that EricDK is exactly right - if you drink 12oz of coffee, you will expel slightly more than 12oz of urine.

OTOH, there's plenty of caffeine in cola too.

On the third hand, if you finish a night of drinking with a big drink of WATER, you'll wake up without much of a hangover in the first place, since you've replenished the fluids the alcohol has displaced.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It IS a myth....if you want to argue with it...then go to the researchers and argue with them.

Despite caffeine's many benefits, there's a belief out there that a daily coffee habit can cause dehydration.

So is it true? Not according to the findings of a new study.

Researchers at the University of Birmingham in the U.K. studied the fluid levels of 50 men who had a habit of consuming about three to six cups of coffee each day.

With this kind of moderate coffee consumption, the authors conclude that "coffee ... provides similar hydrating qualities to water."

To compare the hydrating effects of coffee directly with water, each participant completed two phases of the study. In one phase, they drank coffee as their main source of hydration. In the other phase, the participants went off coffee and drank equal amounts of water.

"Caffeine really had absolutely no influence on hydration status," concludes Douglas Casa of the University of Connecticut, a researcher we asked to review the paper. In other words, the coffee didn't prompt the body to pee (or flush out) more fluid.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It IS a myth....if you want to argue with it...then go to the researchers and argue with them.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/01/13/262175623/coffee-myth-busting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory
Mac, it is true that Caffeine is a diuretic. The one study you refer to needs to be taken in context with the dozens of other studies that have shown caffeine to be a diuretic. I've had some recent issues myself with caffeine. But it can have more of an effect on some individuals than others. It does not necessarily affect your hydration levels in daily life if you are consuming coffer or tea. Although it can in some circumstances. The study you post is not actually new news. I recently had "an issue" needing me to give up tea with caffeine. I drank 6 large strong cups per day and tea has more caffeine "in the cup" than coffee. As soon as I stopped the tea with caffeine, I didn't pee as much at all although I was still drinking as much strong tea, but without caffeine! In general, I don't take in quite so much fluids now as I don't need it. All of this was supervised by my doctor who also confirmed caffeine is a diuretic. Take a look at the link below. It explains some stuff. I find I can ride my Burgman for many many more miles now non-stop with out a pee break! lol!

Take a look here: http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine/page4.htm

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20049372

Correction. Tea has half the caffeine of coffee. I used to carry around a pamphlet from Starbucks to prove this to people (I'm a tea drinker too). But now we have the internet.

Diuretic or not, caffeine keeps you awake, And that is worth its weight in pee! I'd gladly take an extra pee break than find myself in a ditch. Actually, I am one of the lucky ones, in that I rarely get drowsy while I am riding. My friends however… I think I will pick up this product at the very least to have on hand for my riding buddies. One actually volunteers to lead the ride after lunch because he gets drowsy and leading keeps him awake. I'd consider this product as emergency supplies. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one study you refer to needs to be taken in context with the dozens of other studies that have shown caffeine to be a diuretic.
Talk is cheap.
It's a myth.
Your link is not a study.

I can and have sat from Hong Kong to Toronto without a pee break and had coffee.
That's 15 hours.
Reality is you need to stay awake and alert and caffiene in soft drinks, tea, coffee and the refresher noted will NOT dehydrate you.

Don't continue to circulate memes that are simply wrong.

Dehydration is brutal and dangerous.

·
Registered
630 Posts
No links, but from what I've read, we can have it both ways. Caffeine is not a true diuretic in the sense that it chemically tricks your body/kidneys into eliminating water.

Caffeine is a bladder irritant, which make you more prone to want to urinate whatever the bladder is holding. It's much easier to drink a large cup of coffee than the equivalent cup of water--it tastes better, perks us up and coffee breaks are short, so we drink it faster to boot. More coffee, stronger coffee = more irritation/pee breaks, but only AFTER the homeostatic response of the circulatory system does it's thing. Still a net gain though.

I prefer to ride with water since I can drink it, wash my hands and wipe my visor/face. Gives me an excuse to stop for Mr. Joe once in a while.:cool:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Interesting stuff flywheel. Didn't know that about the caffeine / irritant thing.

I love the idea of this stuff. Can't tell you how many times I've been on a ride, made a stop, often in the middle if no where, and someone in the group looks like they're about to take a nap. This usually occurs after lunch.

As a group leader, I like to be prepared. So this is a perfect little packet I can throw into my ride bag, takes no room at all and usually people always have water with them (if not, I keep emergency water with me). So I can supply a little caffeine for them to make the next leg to a proper stop. I like it. Asked my wife to pick some up already.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It tastes better than warm water as well so the tendency is to drink more.
I use the sugar free flavour packets my son uses but this is better in my view.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Maintaining proper hydration is clearly important for general health and maintaining strength and alertness while riding. And I'm aware of the two schools of thought about caffeine as diuretic. An issue of practical importance to me is how long can I ride before I have to pull over and pee. In my body, for a given amount of liquid intake, if I can go for two hours on WATER, I can last 2.5 hour on COFFEE, 1.5 hours on TEA and only 1 hour on a COLA soft drink. For me, MPB (miles-per-beverage) is more important than the differential between intake and output. (But hey - that's just the way my bladder rolls).

On a related issue, why can my wife ride for hours without a break (which I'm grateful for), but can't make it through a 1 hour TV show without me pausing the DVR for at least two pee breaks? Whenever we're about to begin a show, I tell her to pretend we're riding up to Santa Barbara. It doesn't work. But I digress. . .

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ha, that's funny Jeff.

I try to tell people to take it easy at lunch time. Don't be just gulping down soda after soda. It really gets uncomfortable on group rides, where you may not have the option to stop. I have one soda, no refills. I keep water handy for hydration if need be.

But as a leader, I also schedule breaks at least every hour and a half, no longer. Someone ALWAYS needs go in that amount of time on a group ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My reading and professional (medical) recommendations are that Flywheel is correct: caffeine is an irritant causing a person to feel that they have to void more often. Oddly the effect can vary tremendously depending on the day and your physical or mental condition. Stress, physical and mental, I find, causes this variation. Some days are good - others are the pits (pitstops).

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
A bottle of soda pop goes flat in a very short time
in the pocket of my Joe Rocket mesh jacket.
A bottle of good old lemonade may not stay cold
for very long, but even not cold lemonade will cut
the ick in my mouth....& I get some liquid.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
No links, but from what I've read, we can have it both ways. Caffeine is not a true diuretic in the sense that it chemically tricks your body/kidneys into eliminating water.

Caffeine is a bladder irritant, which make you more prone to want to urinate whatever the bladder is holding. It's much easier to drink a large cup of coffee than the equivalent cup of water--it tastes better, perks us up and coffee breaks are short, so we drink it faster to boot. More coffee, stronger coffee = more irritation/pee breaks, but only AFTER the homeostatic response of the circulatory system does it's thing. Still a net gain though.

I prefer to ride with water since I can drink it, wash my hands and wipe my visor/face. Gives me an excuse to stop for Mr. Joe once in a while.:cool:

Completely right Flywheel. That's what my doc said, amongst other things.

Completely right Flywheel. That's what my doc said, amongst other things. I'm no medic but he used words like yours! Plus a load of others that I didn't understand.lol!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts