Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Humming sound coming from front wheel

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  subvet06 
#1 ·
2017 650 exec with Battlax front tire seems to be humming more especially when I move the bike from side to side but less when travelling straight. The bike has 12800 miles on and I doubt if it is wheel bearings starting to hum along. Could it be the Battlax tire nearing its end? Could the humming be coming from the tire or is it just the sound made by the variator and or transmission. I read somewhere on this forum someone mention how he loves the humming sound these bikes produce.

#5 ·
I am not sure about tire been original. What I do know is that I bought it at 5800 miles and the rear tire was closer to its end than the front. Now at 5800, that tells me that those tires were probably originals.
I have since replaced the rear but not the front as it could go another few months. There is no "cupping", the tire is normal and in good condition besides the contact patch which will need replacing soon. I weigh in at 170 lbs. At first, the humming sound (like a worn-out differential on a truck) was only audible under braking, then more pronounced when turning and now audible when just driving straight. My guess is that at 12800 miles it is more likely the tire rather than wheel bearings. My experience of wheel bearings is that the left and right bearings (cars mostly) do not pack up at the same time which leads me to think that if it was wheel bearings, I would probably hear the sound more so on turning in the one direction than both.

#6 ·
Fronts usually last about twice as long as rears, depending on riding style, imho 12 is a bit shy of replacement time, but things vary. Do you do your own wrenching and tire changes? Even just removing the wheel from the bike, and taking that to a shop will save money when replacing the tire, having the parts in hand when you go will prevent a "waiting for parts" situation and getting you the quality and price parts you want instead of whatever crap the shop has.

#7 ·
Yes Mikey, I do my own wrenching but not tire changing. I will remove the wheel and then take that to a shop. Last I bought a Mich Pilot online and they simply replaced the tire. I then go home and put the wheel back. I do not trust anybody with my bike. If it happens to be wheel bearings then I will replace them myself.

#9 ·
"5800 miles "

god dammit! only in the US can you find scooter selling for so little miles. im jealous. except for the gas tank issues.

here, 35000miles and up.

"I do not trust anybody w/my bike. If it happens to be wheel bearings then I will replace them myself. "

good man! I dont trust any garage.

#11 ·
I am sure it is tire-related because today I made the effort to lift the front wheel off the ground and spin it. There are no issues what-so-ever. Spins freely with no hesitation or gritty feeling, no sideways play/movement and no excess grease or metal shavings around the bearing and collar. Must be an ageing tire. Case closed.

#12 ·
I really really like Mich Pilot tires, last longer and stop better in water. Ones on it (same name as what came on it new) when I got it wore bald and over 5 yrs old (DOT date). 25K miles. Older gentleman's wife wouldn't let him ride it anymore (I'm 43 and been driving road bikes since 13).
Yes I would think tires might have "the whine". Just my guess. Feel free to do bearings and see, at least they will be new ;)
I messed up and didn't do wheel bearings and 90 degree valve stems. I do recommend driving like a snake but staying in your lane to help ware even....highly recommend it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.