Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
There's an old joke about an auto company CEO and a union boss touring a newly automated production plant. 'How are you going to get those robots to join the union?', the CEO asks. 'How are you going to get those robots to buy your cars?' the union boss replies.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Watched the whole thing.

Glad I am retired.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Interesting and challenging for future consequences, but can a robot replace me? I'm retired!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It raises many questions about the contribution humans will be able to make to society in the future. Perhaps we will all be put out to pasture and the world population shrink to 5% or so, of current.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
That's a real problem.
Star Trek showed a utopian version of what society might look like when whatever one needed was immediately available without labor - basically, everyone was effectively wealthy and chose their own avocation.
But our culture ties wealth* (or even sustenance) to work, and to a large extent even ties self-validation to work. What do you do with those for whom the economy does not provide a job, regardless of their skills and capabilities? And if the answer is to discard them, what happens to the factories when most people are among the discards, and nobody has the resources to buy the products?

* (For most people. If you had just been fortunate enough to pick the right parents, you too could have been wealthy without having to work.)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a real problem.
Star Trek showed a utopian version of what society might look like when whatever one needed was immediately available without labor - basically, everyone was effectively wealthy and chose their own avocation.
But our culture ties wealth* (or even sustenance) to work, and to a large extent even ties self-validation to work. What do you do with those for whom the economy does not provide a job, regardless of their skills and capabilities? And if the answer is to discard them, what happens to the factories when most people are among the discards, and nobody has the resources to buy the products?

* (For most people. If you had just been fortunate enough to pick the right parents, you too could have been wealthy without having to work.)
That eventually will happen , but eventually the rich will be forced to give it all up for the good of society . That said it won't happen over night , so there will be a lot of suffering for those displaced workers in the interim . Already there are 50 million people in the U.S. who are on food assistance and that number continues to grow . I might add that is with a growing GDP that is actually higher now than pre-crash levels . I've read a great deal on this , and I can tell that what is happening now will make the Industrial Revolution look like child's play in comparison .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
585 Posts
That eventually will happen , but eventually the rich will be forced to give it all up for the good of society .

TheReaper!
Interesting slant - but I'm of the opinion that the poor will have to 'give it up' for the good of society - or to be more direct - for the rich. We already see this happening - 1st world governments are trying to get 3rd world countries to halt development and are following policies that are putting the brakes on manufacturing in 1st world countries. The 'vehicle' is the carbon ruse - among others. China hasn't played the game - yet.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting slant - but I'm of the opinion that the poor will have to 'give it up' for the good of society - or to be more direct - for the rich. We already see this happening - 1st world governments are trying to get 3rd world countries to halt development and are following policies that are putting the brakes on manufacturing in 1st world countries. The 'vehicle' is the carbon ruse - among others. China hasn't played the game - yet.
I would suggest that the poor (the former middle class) have already "given it up" . If they give up any more they will all be living in tents , oh wait a lot of them already are . :(

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I am simply amazed at the number of people who are doing both of these:

a) Working steadily at professional jobs, and
b) Couch-surfing and/or living out of their cars.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am simply amazed at the number of people who are doing both of these:

a) Working steadily at professional jobs, and
b) Couch-surfing and/or living out of their cars.
That is correct , homeless people with full time jobs . Which tells you there is an imbalance in the economy with high returns to capital and way to low returns to labor .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I like your sig line Reaper - kinda echoes the sentiments expressed in Buffy Saint Marie's Universal Soldier.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've watched this 3x and shared it with friends. Well written.

Two lines really stick out:

1) (regarding the slower output currently of some "humanoid" robots like Baxter) " 1/10 the speed is more economical when the cost is only 1/100 of a human.

2) (regarding self-driving cars) "They don't have to be perfect - they just have to better than humans. (who are dying at the rate of 40K+ per year in accidents).

I'm feeling more like a horse every day. :eek:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
2) (regarding self-driving cars) "They don't have to be perfect - they just have to better than humans. (who are dying at the rate of 40K+ per year in accidents).
There's one big problem with self-driving cars: Insurance.
You're not driving, so do they base the rates on your record, or on the record of the software, sensor suite, and control system?
What if there's a manual mode?

If there's an accident, who's liable if the car is driving itself?
I'm pretty sure manufacturers aren't going to want to be on the receiving end of lawsuits...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts