Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a '14 200 a few months ago with 1,500 miles and just over 4/5 a tank of gas - it displayed about 47mpg when I picked it up and never reset it. Over the 600 miles I've taken it so far, its crept its way up to ~63mpg (about 100 of those miles with a passenger), put only 3.63 gallons in over 2 top offs, and right now sitting around 3/4 of a tank. Very impressed with it so far, and I'm satisfied with the speed. Topped out at 75mph with a passenger (i'm a fatty, so I was impressed when I reached 75 without her).

I was expecting 70-80 mpg and I'm definitely getting a lot more.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
bought a '14 200 a few months ago with 1,500 miles and just over 4/5 a tank of gas - it displayed about 47mpg when I picked it up and never reset it. Over the 600 miles I've taken it so far, its crept its way up to ~63mpg (about 100 of those miles with a passenger), put only 3.63 gallons in over 2 top offs, and right now sitting around 3/4 of a tank. Very impressed with it so far, and I'm satisfied with the speed. Topped out at 75mph with a passenger (i'm a fatty, so I was impressed when I reached 75 without her).

I was expecting 70-80 mpg and I'm definitely getting a lot more.
Yes, the UH200 gets incredible MPG. I always got in the high 70's to lower 80's. They are excellent scooters!:serious

·
Registered
31 Posts
I usually get 68 to 72 mpg in my normal commute, but have seen as low as 62 ( top speed for 150 miles with crappy winter blend gas ) to 86 mpg (120 miles at 55-60 mph with near ideal conditions).

This certainly isn't bad, but I was hoping it would be better.

I think part of the problem is the gearing is too short. Horsepower peaks at 8 grand, but top speed revs way past that to around 9600. I am considering installing dr pulley sliders as they are supposed to raise the top gear ratio a bit and should slow the motor down closer to it best rpm at hwy speeds.

Dean

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
A little over 68 MPG with half the miles spent at 65MPH (GPS; indicated MPH 69-70). The Suzuki touring windscreen might be clipping a couple of MPG off what it could otherwise get; I recall getting about 70 MPG under the same conditions with the stock windscreen.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Low=70.1 mpg's and average=74 mpg. Mostly surface streets, half of the time with a passenger on the back. At 25,000+ miles. Never checked the valves, spark plug or air filter. Need to quit being lazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Low=70.1 mpg's and average=74 mpg. Mostly surface streets, half of the time with a passenger on the back. At 25,000+ miles. Never checked the valves, spark plug or air filter. Need to quit being lazy.
I needed to do a full service when I bought mine... all I did was an oil change and now I'm just waiting for it to get too cold to ride to tear it down and replace everything (coolant, filters, brake lines, belt... everything called for in the manual that should have been done at some point).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Normal cruising around...back country roads and state highways I always get above 85 mpg. Lots of starts and stops...I get around 75. I have had my 200 about a year with 3000 miles. Great scooter.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
A little over 68 MPG with half the miles spent at 65MPH (GPS; indicated MPH 69-70). The Suzuki touring windscreen might be clipping a couple of MPG off what it could otherwise get; I recall getting about 70 MPG under the same conditions with the stock windscreen.
Update: back into the low 70s with the stock screen and 91 octane. Swapping the screen didn't make that much difference, but going from mid-grade to premium did. Weird.

(And of course the first couple of pints of your two-and-a-bit-gallon fill-up are whatever was left in the hose from the last guy's purchase which throws the fuel mix off a bit. Luck of the draw.)

·
Registered
494 Posts
That is interesting. When my wife had her Spyder, it called for premium. When riding together we discovered that both gas lights started flashing around 130ish miles. So when we stopped to fill up I just went first and filled up with 93 octane, then filled hers up. Obviously the Burgman took far less fuel but I was still running 93 octane. Nothing seemed to change mpg wise. Now we get winter and summer blend and the Burgman gets a bit better fuel economy on winter blend, but at around 70mpg's (prior to my fuel leak) between winter and summer blend Im still happy with the fuel economy.

·
Super Moderator
2,219 Posts
Gas is funny and varies by region as well as season.

In WA my 650 and really all the vehicles I have get worst MPG on winter blend.
No real difference between octane any time of year in my experience as long as you give your motor what it's tuned for. 87 octane in the case of all of mine.

·
Retired Member not on two wheels anymore
60 Posts
I only have 600 miles on the scoot but I'm getting 78.1 MPG. I should reset it as I rode it 300 miles last week, mostly 55-60 mph.
So far, scoot is awesome though I'm very unhappy about the amount of RPMs it takes to get the sucker moving. On my two Honda scoots (PCX 150 and Forza 300), a little throttle and they were off! Maybe that's why so many people here are discussing different sliders!!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
One thing I noticed during a ride in the mountains was that above 3000 ft altitude the engine wouldn't rev into its powerband -- it wasn't getting enough air to generate enough torque to overcome the variator rollers. If you're at that kind of altitude, changing to lighter rollers could help.

·
Retired Member not on two wheels anymore
60 Posts
Rusty J - thanks for the input. Unfortunately, the high revving was required even at lower altitudes (where I lived previously). I'm just used to more instant "go" off the throttle (based on previous scoots). Ho hum.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Ah, you're talking clutch-engagement RPM.

The B200 engine is tuned for high-RPM efficiency and Suzuki just "throws away" the lower part of the rev range by not having the clutch fully lock up until 5K RPM.

It's weird, but it works most of the time. Just whack the throttle wide open until it reaches 5K, then back off as needed. It's just the way it is.

The glitch I mentioned was strictly a matter of the default variator settings being unsuitable for high altitude. I found it noteworthy since my other bike is a Burgman 650 so I hadn't encountered anything like it before. (Well, I probably ran into it on my 150cc Vespa, but attributed it to its carb being jetted for sea level.)

I only realized it was specific to the bike because I was riding with another B200 and they had the same issue -- we were both running wide-open and were going exactly the same speed, so it had to be the bike.

·
Administrator
17,656 Posts
Ah, you're talking clutch-engagement RPM.

The B200 engine is tuned for high-RPM efficiency and Suzuki just "throws away" the lower part of the rev range by not having the clutch fully lock up until 5K RPM.

It's weird, but it works most of the time. Just whack the throttle wide open until it reaches 5K, then back off as needed. It's just the way it is.

The glitch I mentioned was strictly a matter of the default variator settings being unsuitable for high altitude. I found it noteworthy since my other bike is a Burgman 650 so I hadn't encountered anything like it before. (Well, I probably ran into it on my 150cc Vespa, but attributed it to its carb being jetted for sea level.)

I only realized it was specific to the bike because I was riding with another B200 and they had the same issue -- we were both running wide-open and were going exactly the same speed, so it had to be the bike.

Or, the all you can eat lunch buffet challenge.

You know the one, with three hidden zip lock baggies filled with shrimp scampi. :grin

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
*Chuckle*
We hadn't yet gotten to the lunch break in the ride.

Windscreens were different so it wasn't drag (and at that altitude drag differences would be slightly reduced anyhow) and the other rider was about my size and build so weight wasn't a factor either.

We were trying to keep up with bigger scooters, so were both running at full throttle (to limited effect, as noted). What I saw (as did the other rider) was that RPM couldn't get up to the torque peak in the power curve -- topped out at about 6K which meant full clutch engagement but not enough to get to the torque peak of around 7500 (which is about where it normally settles under full throttle at heavy load, before the variator maxes out and RPM start to climb with MPH again).

Lighter rollers would have allowed the engine to get into the powerband to make more power (both from increased engine efficiency and thus torque at the crankshaft and from lower gearing yielding more power strokes per minute at the increased torque value).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Putting proper tyre pressure matters..

I didn't realize my tyre pressure was too low.
Front 19psi / rear 20psi
I got 87 mpg for intercity ride

Then when realizing that it was too low; put 34 front / 36 rear got me 94 mpg for the exact same route...

Checking tyre pressure regularly matters apparently.

B200 (August 2015)

·
Registered
6 Posts
72mpg City Driving
78mpg Highway Driving (at 65-70mph)

OE Tires, Givi Touring Windscreen, 87-octane non-ethanol fuel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts