Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My and a bunch of other scooters/motorcycles will be trailering our bikes up to the Blue Ridge Parkway for a day ride this weekend. Lots of ups and downs and side to sides. Weather is calling for 40% chance of scatter T-storms.

Never rode in much rain, just the occasional shower and wet roads after T-storms. For those of you with more rain riding experience, I just wondered how stabil the Burgie will be?

TIA

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I've ridden the 400 in a couple of downpours and the bike handled fine. Other than getting soaked, I'd rather ride the 400 in the rain rather than drive the Ford Ranger. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Just keep in mind the standard "stuff".
Don't ride when it first starts to rain-no sudden moves-easy braking-make sure you can see over your windshield -keep you speed in the turns down.
And with that out of the way you will not even know it is raining as far as how the scooter handles.
There is one problem...you will get wet :lol:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
got caught in a downpour day before yesterday, right after having a cut-down windshield (I'm only 5'1") installed on my 400. Donned my Frogg Toggs (Highly Recommend these - best purchase I made at Americade this summer! :D ), and rode 15 miles before the rain let up to a drizzle. The Burgie was terrific! I could see over my newly lowered screen, the scoot handled just fine and I stayed COMPLETELY DRY! The only time I have EVER had a rough time on this scoot was trying to travel over a dirt road after a rain. The dirt was MUD, and boy, SLIPPERY!!! :shock: I slipped and slid all over the road... managed to stay upright long enuf to get back on pavement...

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Herfnerd said:
My and a bunch of other scooters/motorcycles will be trailering our bikes up to the Blue Ridge Parkway for a day ride this weekend. Lots of ups and downs and side to sides. Weather is calling for 40% chance of scatter T-storms.

Never rode in much rain, just the occasional shower and wet roads after T-storms. For those of you with more rain riding experience, I just wondered how stabil the Burgie will be?

TIA
It is much more preferable to be sat in a bar having a beer when it rains.

It rains a lot in the UK ( hic! ) :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
NormB,

I saw it on the news. We have flash floods out here in the desert all the time. We get less than 10 inches of rain a year (That's what a desert is) but when it comes down it comes down HARD! We only get steady rain in the winter but it's rare to last more than a couple of days. My guess is that we have 355 sunny days a year but I'm sure there is a data base somewhere that would make me a liar.

Thanx, keep ye powder dry!
Russ

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been out all week in the rain and wearing far too little cos I'm still trying to look cool on the new 'Burg. I'm sure once the love affair cools I'll be wearing my ugliest waterproofs and sod the posing :D

One strange thing I found, this is my first ever "feet forward" bike and I'm enjoying the new position (new positions at MY age!), but as all my waterproof leggings are designed to go over my boots, rain is being forced up my legs past the seal. So I've had to resort to sitting properly with feet down in the squalls.
Hands get soaked too, absolutely no protection whatsoever. I'm seriously thinking about those MX type handguards, as I can't bear to spoil her looks with my tatty pvc and duct tape repaired hippo hands at the moment.
Abother little river seems to form at the very bottom of my crotch too on the occasions I've just kept ploughing on through hard rain in jeans, quite a stream (and no, it's not because of my age just yet) that seems to run down the seat from behind!!? I've noticed a lot of dead air re-circulation behind the windscreen, the usual thing with fairings where air in front of my chest is actually circulating forwards and perhaps sucking the rain down there. Weird.
Has anyone bought or used one of those continental type rain covers, that make you look like a slalom canoist? They seem to be common in France and Italy but I'ver seen them much in use anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Dave

I have a Tucano lap cover and Hand protectors.

I cannot tell you how good they are - coz - I have not used them yet.

I am still not instinctive and 100% on the handlebar switchgear and was waiting until I was and autumn before I fitted the handguards.

The lap cover I have is an early one and apparently they can flap about a bit at 80 and above.

Paul Blezard, who is a member here, but also a journo on Twist and Go likes the Tucano and uses in winter, he has a later version of the Tucano which has inflatable cells that stiffen the sides - he reports that it is stable and without flapping at any speed. He does not hang around either and is a bodywork scraper!!

Regards

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Herfnerd said:

TIA
Loss of traction is the problem with wet pavement. The worst time to ride is when the road first becomes wet beacause oil and grease are still present and become very slick when wet. Better to let the pavement get a good soaking first so some of the gunk washes off.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
mupp said:
One strange thing I found, this is my first ever "feet forward" bike and I'm enjoying the new position (new positions at MY age!), but as all my waterproof leggings are designed to go over my boots, rain is being forced up my legs past the seal .
I keep 2 very small bungees in the glove box that I use to wrap around the pant cuff and my boots. This prevents my rain gear from riding up my leg and no water whatsoever creeps up. I've ridden in torrential rain fall with this method and it works great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts