Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once and a while when I put my Burg 650 up on it's center stand it will let out with howl kinda like a sick dog. This only lasts for about three or four seconds and does not do it every time. Any suggestions on what this noise is? Taking it in for it's 600 mile service this week but you know how that goes, it won't do it while in the dealers shop.
Terry in AZ.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sorry Terry I can't answer this one. Mine has never howled at me with over 16000 kms on the machine and I allways use the centerstand.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Howlin' Wolf

Just in case you were starting to doubt your own sanity - don't. My 650 did a bit of howling too but appears to have dropped the habit as abruptly as it acquired it.

It actually only happened maybe three times over the same weekend, twice with the engine switched off and once after I'd started up and was manoeuvering to ride away. It was almost as if it had become possessed by evil spirits and required exorcism. All very strange.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Terry,

I assume it is not running when you do that. Sounds like it could be pressure venting from the gas tank. My 650 does not do that, but my Kawi Concours used to whine when I parked it - and that was due to pressure escaping from the tank. Check to see if it is coming from the area of the gas cap (although the tank may have another pressure relief valve located elsewhere).

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Terry, there is two pressure release valves on the 650, one on the left by the gas cap, the other on the lower right side. My 650 used to make a noise running and not running. It seemed to do it when the tank was less than 1/2 full. A dealer was going to replace them, but I sold it before I had them replaced.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sounds like you have a problem venting alright. Fill it up and ride it for a long time. Then without getting off of it - have someone open the gas cap for you. If you hear a whoosh then you just confirmed it. I would be willing to bet that your vent lines are routed incorrectly, and when the suspension unloads it allows one of them to vent. The shop should have picked up on "When I put it onto the centerstand" and zero'ed in on the tank vent tube - but then again - most of them seem pretty apathetic about anything that isn't a "real" motorcycle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've experienced a little bit of a howling, or whining noise, just for a second or two, when I change from manual to automatic. I never use the manual shift, but occasionally I might just turn it on to see if it still works.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I have a 'whining noise' just about all the time - but after 27 years its just like having the radio on low in your shop - if you are really busy you don't really hear it! :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
355 Posts
NormanB said:
I have a 'whining noise' just about all the time - but after 27 years its just like having the radio on low in your shop - if you are really busy you don't really hear it! :wink: :lol:
Hey Norman,

So I take it you're a married man?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
NormanB said:
Hey Norman,

So I take it your a married man?
Yup! - and she would hang me out to dry if she ever read this! :wink:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yeah, and I bet you miss that radio when it's not there.

BTW: Last week, Ann agreed to marry me. :) No date yet though. Have I mentioned it before how much I love that woman?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Robert said:
Yeah, and I bet you miss that radio when it's not there.

BTW: Last week, Ann agreed to marry me. :) No date yet though. Have I mentioned it before how much I love that woman?
I dont recall - tell me a bit more! :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Took my wife to a music & comedy show the other night. They polled the audience to see who was celebrating a birthday, or anniversary - they had a door prize to give away. Well there were a couple of birthdays, and a few anniversaries. There were couples who had been married over 50 years. At the end, they asked if anyone else was celebrating a significant event. A woman spoke up and said that she was celebrating her 4th divorce. She won the prize!

Oh yeah. The prize was dinner for two. (A box of Kraft macaroni & cheese...)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Not sure which is funnier.... celebrating the 4th divorce or the door prize. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts