Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm completely new to the scooter / motorcycle thing. Just bought a 2009 650 (Burgman, obviously :D) yesterday that has been well kept and has only 12,000 miles. Very much looking forward to attending motorcycle school tomorrow and Tuesday, then taking my test and hopefully getting my license on Friday. Right now, it's sitting at my folks' house (they live much closer to the seller), and it's killing me!

Got the idea to get a scooter from a guy at work that's pretty much doing the same thing - needed a second vehicle (my wife's van crapped out on us a few months ago), and in dire need to cut our gas bills.

See ya'll out on the road soon!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Wow, you picked a heck of a first ride!

Please be careful with it. Its a LOT of bike for a newbie to handle. I write that with sincere concern. Take it easy, get some parking lot time, watch videos, read "Proficient Motorcycling", etc. and GET PROPER GEAR and wear it. No jeans and light jackets. Good stuff with Kevlar and such. Its expensive, but skin graphs are more so. :D

But congrats on the new bike. I'm sure you'll love it. And welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Part of the size choice is due to the rider - I'm a big guy, and everyone I talked to said that the 650 would be a much better choice than a 400. Hopefully, that'll be right.

Will do on the being careful part. Already picked up a riding (armored) jacket, gloves, helmet, etc. I'm attending the local CMSP (California Motorcycle Safety Program) training tomorrow and Tuesday. Total 8 hours of on-the-bike training and another 4+ hours of classroom training. Not saying it's a full replacement for long-term experience, but I'd hope that it should be a good start.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Congrats! Our Burgman's look exactly the same. Brilliant choice : ). You'll be riding with the Burgman grin for years to come. Aloha!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Congratulations and welcome from hot and sticky Tampa, Grimespace! Very glad to hear you're taking the classes and getting the gear; both of those will keep you out of a LOT of trouble. You're going to have a great time on this bike for years to come - you'll get used to the Burgman grin. Glad you joined us - it's great to have a fresh voice in the mix!

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Welcome from the desert around Palm Springs.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Grimespace welcome to the forum. I thought I would save money on gas too. I quickly found out I put on so many miles just riding for fun that I was spending more on gas than I had been spending before buying my scooter. :D

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Welcome!!

I received my license by virtue of attending the MSF two day riding school. Hopefully, you will get licensed that way too. If you have to take the DMV riding test, and can pass it on a 650 with only a week's experience, you would be a moto riding genius.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone

Finished up the school today. Found out this does count as the driving part of the test - will be taking the written part on Friday afternoon. Hoping to be joining y'all on the road this weekend!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Congratulations Steve, may your written test go smoothly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welp, scored 100% on my written test, so I'm legal now. Picked up the bike this morning & have put about 80 miles on it today. Thing hauls the mail, that's for sure. Way fun!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It'll haul a whole lotta mail too - congrats on the freshly minted license!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It'll haul a whole lotta mail too - congrats on the freshly minted license!
"Freshly Minted licence"... Mine needs air freshener.

Congratulations! How very exciting. So, enjoy! Take it easy and, since you're new to this biz...

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up!

Liam

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Yep - congrats!!

Something I remind newbies - don't get cocky.

Something I always remind myself - don't get cocky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts