Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had the 400 for 8 months now and just did another full service at 9,500 miles changing all fluids to synthetics as I feel the bike is broken in. I've read discussion on the valves and how often to set them and would like to share what I've seen so far. My daily commute is all between 50 and 70 mph from home to school on either highway, or back country roads. I put about 60 miles a day on the bike. When I checked the valves at 600 mi they were ok so I didn't change anything. At 5655 miles I found the exhaust valves were tight but still within range. At that time I set all four valves so that the lower feeler gage was loose, the upper range would not go in, and the gage in the middle had a slight drag to it when the valves were set. Last weekend at 9500 miles I tore down the bike and checked the valves again. Not one change in any of them. All feeler gages came back normal. The rear tire has normal wear. And yes I do get a squeal, when I use the right brake only, but not when I use the left one only. If I use both I get a squeal if I don't apply the right brake firmly. So far I am getting 55 mpg in the cool weather, and lately with the sun and warm weather I am back up to 65 mpg running on regular. I can't believe how great this bike is. I can't remember the last time I put almost 10,000 miles on a bike in 3/4 of a year. :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Can you briefly comment on the tear-down? I'm just curious because I'm still considering which to buy and the Yamaha Majesty has a 25,000 mile valve check/adjustment interval. It's also supposedly much easier to get to through an access panel in the trunk. How much work is it to get down to where you can check the valves on the B400?

Thanks,

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ya know, that sounds about what I expected. I mean, it's about common sense. My 2003 Honda CR-V has a liquid cooled aluminum block engine, much like the Burgman and it recommends it's screw type lifters be checked every 110,000 miles. If I look at this realistically, the Burgman 400 should hold it's valves at least 20,000 miles.

I have a buddy that has checked his St1100 twice: Once at 16K and again at 32K. Both times the valves were spot on. He told me he won't be checking them again ever.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I had the valves adjusted at 600 miles, really did not need anything so very little was done. At 19,00 they were still fine.
How much trouble ? less the changing a tire.
Like anything else, once you have done it, It no longer is hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts