Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the phone mounted on the plastic handlebar cover with a ram mount. It looks like I could wire it straight through but not sure how. Right now I have it coming up from the glovebox with a wire sticking out. Doesn't look too professional. Any advise would be much appreciated. Mechanical I can do. Electric wiring not too proficient at.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Can you thread the wire out through the back side of the lower glovebox? I have used this method on the 650K7. I found there was a little access panel of sorts that sits on the rear inner surface of the glovebox, held in by small self taping screws from memory. I unscrewed these and then moved the plate to one side, threaded the recharging USB universal cable (accepts various plug ends), through the hole where the plate fits. Threaded the cables up from the back-side of the glove-box up through the handle bar/steering head void and out from under the handle bar cover.
Secured the plate back in place with the aforementioned self taping screws, but not before adding a little insulation tape round the wires where they'd be pinched by the plate in-situ.

All good to go and works a treat, with the cables not being to obvious.

OTOH, I mounted my device holder for one smart phone or the other to the top side of the dash. Bought a no-name brand universal device holder which I disassembled to then use the last section 'arm' which I bolted through a small hole drilled about 2 inches from the top edge or lip of the top of the dash.

Had to remove the screen to complete this particular task. I also put a small self adhesive rubber square between the newly drilled hole and the top edge or lip of the top of the dash, which is to soak up some of the vibration etc, I was able to then fit the single small arm using a small 6 or 8mm nut and bolt with a few washers top and bottom. The arm attaches directly to the universal holder. Very minimal design and is more line of sight... very useful for GPS navigation and seeing who might be calling on smart-phone.

No having to look down.

·
Registered
761 Posts
hello united250 and bikerdoc, you didn't have any qualms with mounting to and through the upper dash plastic?

Is there a metal band\structure underneath that upper dash plastic there to mount to? If not, how do you control the vibration?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I mounted a usb port on my break reservoir. I pulled the handle bar cover and tied into the 12 port in the glove box. A zip tie and replace the plastic and looks great.

·
Registered
765 Posts
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41177&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1432472936

Holy crap. Looks like a cockpit in an airplane! Too many devices = too many distractions.

I prefer to have my phone in my pocket in case I get separated from the bike. I might be able to call for help IF I have my phone on my person. If I need to charge it, I put in glove box. Can still use phone thru Sena Bluetooth. If I need GPS, I use Bluetooth/audio directions. In addition to a cleaner look, IMHO I just think anything you add to your handlebars is ultimately a distraction.

Sirkitrider

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
I mounted my RAM on the brake reservoir. Purchased a 12V adapter with an end cover and ran the wire under the handlebar cover all the way down to the battery. This way I get a charge whether it's on or not.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Mine is not the most professional install but it is the easiest. All I did was hook this up to the SAE I have on my battery (One you use for battery tender) and attached a 6ft waterproof braided cable ($4 on ebay).
I also have the phone holder from TBSS (Taiwan big scooter shop). I use my phone as a speedometer and GPS (Sygic).

The only bac thing about this is that it's always on being it attached to the battery. I have the same setup on my sportbikes as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts