Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm unhappy with the stock Burg 650 windshield on my 2013. The only aftermarket windshield available right now is the Givi.

I wanted to do something to check my preferred windshield height. I got an old poster board and cut it down to 6 inches. I then placed marks/lines at 4.7 inches (Givi), 3.5 inches (Cleaview XL) and 2.5 inches (Clearview L).

I used scotch tape to hold the piece of poster board to the stock windshield.
What I found out was very useful:

1. I could not see well over the top of the Givi (4.7 inches longer) even when fully down. At full up the Givi would provide 100% wind protection.

2. The Clearview XL at 3.5 inches was a little better. I could see over the top when fully down but it would limit my airflow on hot days. When fully up I could not see over the top. The XL would be acceptable.

3. The Cleaview L at 2.5 inches seemed to offer the best compromise. when fully down I could easily see over the top and expect good airflow. When fully up it was just over my visual eyesight.

Based on these measurements I will order a Cleaview L with vents (non tinted) when one becomes available next year. Or, I would need to cut the Givi about 2 inches from the top to get my preferred height.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I run a Clearview large just because when I put it all the way down I can easily see over it.

However when you raise them up you get more air on you hands because it goes under the kickouts on the side that provide protection for your hands. I actually run mine all the way down in the winter and in inclement weather conditions like rain. I get more protection and stay drier and warmer that way. The airflow coming off the top of it mainly goes over the top of helmet with some just touching the helmet.

Come summer time I often run with it all the way up because it gets some wind coming under it to my hands and arms. I open the vent and direct the air from it to my chin area to get air flow through my helmet. I find it's cooler riding that way than riding with it all the way down.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
BTW, I also used the cardboard taped to the top of my stock windshield trick to determine what size I needed way back when I bought it. Works very well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't hold your breath waiting on Clearview. They've been promising a 2013 windshield to me since July 2013. Each person that writes to them gets a different answer. Do a search here and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Givi on my 2013 is perfect for me. I can easily look over it when it's down and when its up I'm in a quiet bubble of air. When its up all the way I also get a lot more air hitting my torso because the flared sides that sit just above the mirrors are now raised about 4 inches above the mirrors.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't hold your breath waiting on Clearview. They've been promising a 2013 windshield to me since July 2013. Each person that writes to them gets a different answer. Do a search here and you'll see what I mean.
I agree with you. At some point I will just bite the bullet and buy the Givi.

Who would I take the Givi Windshield to in order to get 2" cut from the top?
Would it be the guys who do custom shower enclosures, glass and mirrors?
Would a windshield shop be able to do it?

Is it difficult to cut a windshield with a nice result (top edge looks good)?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Givi on my 2013 is perfect for me. I can easily look over it when it's down and when its up I'm in a quiet bubble of air. When its up all the way I also get a lot more air hitting my torso because the flared sides that sit just above the mirrors are now raised about 4 inches above the mirrors.
You must be a big dude. The Givi is 4.7 inches longer than the stock shield. So, to truly have a 100% clear visual field you must have a long torso. However, if you mean that you can just see over the very top edge of the shield that would require only a 5'11"-6'1" height typically.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think I will also get the Givi, but I would like the vent that Clearview uses. (Goldwing style). I asked Givi about putting one in, and the reply, apparently from their legal department, was that they don't recommend ANY modifications to their product. I'd be tempted to do it myself, but I can't tell if the Givi screen is too rounded for the vent to mount properly. The main thing to consider when cutting these screens is to go slowly, don't let heat build up, and properly support the plastic. Then be sure to round off all edges and corners to prevent stress cracking.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Absoloutly no offense meant sir.
No problem. We are all friends here. FYI, I sent an e-mail to Clearview begging them to modify a Givi Screen for me as a Beta test version. I offered to pay for the Givi, the shipping and the vents. I see no reason Clearview can't use the Givi as a template, cut off a few inches from the top and place their vent system.

This should take 30 days at most to do if Clearview would simply drop the idea that their shield MUST incorporate the black plastic fascia with the Suzuki emblem. Most of use are in our Mature years or at least over 40 and could care less about the fascia as we want wind protection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts