Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one remove a stripped final drive filler plug? Changed all fluids today and drained final drive fluid. When I tried to remove the top filler plug I couldn't get it off as it was already stripped. So I gently laid the bike over on it's side and filled through the drain hole. I guess I could continue doing this each time I change the final drive fluid but I'd rather replace the stripped plug.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
That's why I always take the fill plug out first. It makes sure I can fill it before I drain it.

I've had luck using a hammer and chisel to tap striped bolts our. Turn the chisel sideways on the edge of the head so that as you tap on it it will cut into the head and turn it around in the direction to remove it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It's napping. You could cut a notch with a dremel cutoff wheel and use a big flat blade.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I stripped mine one time and went to True Value and bought what I think was called an easy out. I did have to drill the plug a little. I put tape around the drill so that it would not drill through the plug, using the good one for depth determination.
I now tap the 8mm hex a little to make sure it is tight and does not strip the new plug.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the tips. Good idea next time Craig to remove filler plug first. BTW, how often do you guys change your final drive fluid?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That why important use high quality tool and tap in completely in to to female end before remove it. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Use the chisel method. I'm in the marine industry ( I work on boat engines) and I use that method almost daily. Just notch the outside edge of the plug, the drive the plug counter clockwise. It won't take much and it will spin free.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have tried the chisel method in the past with mixed success. The Easy Out method has worked for me every time. It seems that I strip a bolt about every 10 years (or find one that has been stripped for me by a prior owner). Kind of sucks but I always get them out. The tape on the drill method stated above helps to keep you from drilling too deep too.

Put the the bike on it's side like you did in the picture when you go to drill and easy out the bolt or use the chisel. It will make things easier.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have never had any succes with Easy-Out type tools (locally always called a boar[penis]) You end up with a broken tool made of very hard, impossible to drill out material.
The plugs in the final case are ideal for the chisel method, having a nice big flange to abuse.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The only things an easy out will remove is bolts that are not seized. If the bolt is stuck enough that the bolt strips or breaks off, an easy out is useless.

·
Registered
735 Posts
DanB I went with 75W-90 full synthetic back there and plan to change it on the factory schedule (7500 miles or 12 months). It doesn't take much oil so it's an inexpensive change. BTW, buy a good torque wrench so that the bolt isn't overtightened/stripped again.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Depending on the tool originally used that rounded the filler socket, the easy-out might work fine. The filler bolt may not be so badly stuck (e.g. if you used an undersize Allen wrench or did not fully insert it). I've had success with easy-outs but I have also shattered a couple on very stuck bolts. At which point you still have the chisel option and/or possibly cutting a wider slot across the filler bolt face (Dremel cut-off wheels are good for this).

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Using the chisel method, you can re-install the plug. That takes a bit more effort if you drilled a hole in the plug for the Easy-out.
Most people are much more likely to already have something which can be used as a chisel in their tool collection.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you rounded the hole for the Allen wrench you already have the 'hole' needed for a right-sized easy-out. A chisel will cause more additional damage to the plug than that easy-out.

I have had bolt heads continue to round (shave) with a bolt-out but they were badly corroded (like everything else on the Jaguar E-Type I am thinking of, lol).

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Chances are you might find a slightly larger Torx bit socket you could hammer (of course it would damage the bit/socket) in there to back it out, both Allen and Torx are 6 point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts