Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These bikes are rather heavy and when I look at pictures where the entire Tupperware has been removed, I often wonder if some clever off-road vehicle builder could replicate the entire frame made from aluminium or an aluminium alloy. The problem here is that nobody has an original jig to follow. Surely some clever pipe bender can measure and reproduce the frame using some lighter material.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Let me know when you get that figured out....I’m Dreaming of Vertical Take-Offs and Landings ?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I wonder what % of the total weight the frame alone is. I have an 08 engine (and swingarm and rear wheel) in my garage and i think it is more than half the weight. Just a guess.
Also i wonder if an alluminium frame made with the same exact measures (i mean, also the pipes diameter) have the required strength of the original one.
And finally, you'll have a whole different elasticity ('cause different materials but exact same shape) which i don't know if it what you're looking for....

Seems a futile exercise, to me.

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
yeah, the frame flexes a bit, aluminum doesn't return from a bend as well as steel , you might end up with a burgman 23 feet looong or 2 ft long and reaal tall Want to cut weight? get a smaller pillion and both of you back away from the donuts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Maybe the rider could lose 20 lbs.? I know I could.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
The 2003 Burgman 650 frame all naked.
MJR's frame.jpg

Right side 2.jpg
Back 1.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
woohoo nekkid pictures!

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
What’s that weigh 45 lb. ?

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Fill the tires with helium! That also will reduce unsprung weight so the suspension will work better!
? :p?:p
Fill the tires with Hydrogen, lighter than Helium. Can you say Super Nova.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thanks for the humor, but more seriously thanks for some decent replies and Dave thanks for the 'nekkid pictures". It was just a curious question and not something I was going to try. I think dismantling everything is more work than the benefit of a lighter frame. Would it then be correct to say that the frame, as over-designed as it appears" is not the weight culprit but rather the engine and drivetrain is?

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
The engine module with the swing arm and rear wheel is one heavy sucker.

Suzuki-Burgman-650 Engine.jpg

Final Drive 1.JPG

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
96 Posts
These bikes are rather heavy and when I look at pictures where the entire Tupperware has been removed, I often wonder if some clever off-road vehicle builder could replicate the entire frame made from aluminium or an aluminium alloy. The problem here is that nobody has an original jig to follow. Surely some clever pipe bender can measure and reproduce the frame using some lighter material.
You could drill lots of holes in the tupperware. It's not structural, so no worries. And the wind noises at speed could be spectacular. o_O

1 - 15 of 15 Posts