Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I get ready for the riding season I get out my too new Hudson Leather riding jacket and this thought ran thru my head.
"Hey if you would have taken this jacket and put it on the seat of your favorite, most used chair. I'm thinking reposition every 3 to 5 days check maybe every 30 days for progress continue till pleased"? Nice smell too.
Better known ways? Thoughts?
Not tried till fall 2020.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
umm, theoretically a good idea, some households might want to place it in a wrapper to prevent that "pleasant smell " from getting into their leather, or at least start wearing skivvies at home. I'd hate to end up with a brindle bull looking coat.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I have used Nikwax boot waterproofing treatment on my leather jackets.
They do special jacket restorers too but I use the boot stuff and water will bead off for quite a long time.

I use it very sparingly as it can make leather too soft which might be less effective if you go bouncing down the road and can encourage it to stretch out of shape.

Lots of oils and soaps available - best to go for something that doesn’t go rancid and help rot your jacket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My expectations of Obenauf's was was far exceeded. A game changer, I have never found a product that glides onto the leather and into the leather. It sort of plums up and one coat on my newer leather jacket has done wonders to soften and make supple. I did two wallets and a 30 year old hand made lined leather belt from a prison inmate for 2 cartons of camel filter cigarettes that I paid $10.25 a carton

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I don’t know why Obenauf's caused a Robot Check ...that’s the first time I’ve had an Amazon link do that ? Maybe it sounds Russian ?

But I’m really happy it worked for you... make sure to come back more often.

I used to buy my belts from the V.A. leather workers....Some day I’ll be able to wear it again....you don’t see many old fat people 😄

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm stopping in almost a daily. I get notifications of new threads and check as I receive. I'm guessing your chosen moniker is based on the famous desert race the Paris Dakar?

·
Administrator
18,347 Posts
I'm stopping in almost a daily. I get notifications of new threads and check as I receive. I'm guessing your chosen moniker is based on the famous desert race the Paris Dakar?
IE DarisPakar, Me thinks it has to do with hauling butt around. I HOPE. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Yes ....that and I went to School of Knocks Hard with a major in dyslexia .

If your here daily say something...tell Dave_J his wife dresses him funny 🤣

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don’t know why Obenauf's caused a Robot Check ...that’s the first time I’ve had an Amazon link do that ? Maybe it sounds Russian ?

But I’m really happy it worked for you... make sure to come back more often.

I used to buy my belts from the V.A. leather workers....Some day I’ll be able to wear it again....you don’t see many old fat people
Dude, I am one of those old fat people. I'm 64 i'll be 65 in August. A medical wonder, I've had Chron's since the early 90s but in 2016 had colonoscopy and disease was gone. Science says no cure, just remission? Had gastric banding at 365lbs in 2008, never got skinny but in a much better place now at 280lbs. Oh and 2 new knees those we're a life saver and still are. Gotta love modern medicine.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
On the original topic
I use Leather Dressing - 4oz Classic Jar (usually buy the bigger tub...)
You can get it here and there.
I warm up the jacket by the fireplace or in a sunny seat if it's summer, smear it on and let it soak in. clear off the excess (don't wear anything real nice with it for a few days) and wear the jacket. still takes time but leaves the jacket much more pliant, & water resistant, than any of the silicone treatments I tried over the years.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I heard mink oil will soften leather nicely

Contact fiebings. Theyre a great company for leathers dyes and such. Ask them

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Dude, I am one of those old fat people. I'm 64 i'll be 65 in August. A medical wonder, I've had Chron's since the early 90s but in 2016 had colonoscopy and disease was gone. Science says no cure, just remission? Had gastric banding at 365lbs in 2008, never got skinny but in a much better place now at 280lbs. Oh and 2 new knees those we're a life saver and still are. Gotta love modern medicine.

That’s a heck of a weight loss and new knees .... you can’t keep a Good Man down !

65 is the new 40...what are you going to do with the next 35 years ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s a heck of a weight loss and new knees .... you can’t keep a Good Man down !

65 is the new 40...what are you going to do with the next 35 years ?
Wholly crap, 35 years ya think? Geeze if I lost just 2 lbs a year i'd be a slim 210. An epiphany. You've put a smile on my face for days!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts